advertisement

DIY Naim NAC 72/ 82 Recap - Capacitors

Well they certainly sell the Nichicon KZ range which will be fine for the decoupling caps in the 72. Going over original rated voltage is fine so 50V or 63V are sensible choices.

https://uk.farnell.com/nichicon/ukz1h470mpm1td/cap-47-f-50v-20/dp/2841909

They don't sell Elna Silmic II's which are some people's preferred choice for the feedback caps. You can get those from HiFi collective if you wish to try them. You only need two.

I think your 72 BoM might be a bit light even if you have a minimal complement of boards. I'd double check it before ordering.

Yes that's it.

HFC are also quite a bit cheaper on the KZ's so if you're going to place an order you may as well also buy the KZ's there.

Just remembered that if your 72 also has phono boards you need an additional silmic per MC board and two per MM board.

If you aren't comfortable in your ability to identify which caps are decouplers and which are feedback you could just use either sort of cap for everything. If you use exclusively Silmics it will work very well but you'll need a couple of weeks "run in" to get the best performance. In the past this was my approach since KZ's have only become available relatively recently and thr Oscons which used to be favoured for decoupling became unavailable.

I can't say how well it would work if you use exclusively KZ's but the fact that Witch Hat didn't probably tells you something.

I currently have two 82's, one of which I recapped 20+ years ago with Silmics for decoupling and Evox Rifa film caps for feedback (previously it had Silmics all round and I don't think the Rifa feedback caps addded much) and a fully superlinked one which Witch Hat did in 2019 which uses KZ's for decoupling and Silmics for feedback.

They're both pots 8, final board revisions and actually within a few months of each other in serial numbers. The only other differences are that my original has also had its pots replaced and the Superlinked one hasn't and my original has Clare relays and the Superlinked one has something else

In four rail mode they don't actually sound much different even though the superlinked one also benefits from extra decoupling in the input buffer.

I guess what I'm saying here is Silmics all round is a very good option and will last for a very long time.

2023-10-09_02-01-07 by muchtoofast, on Flickr

Just back this week from Naim Factory after first service... so this is what they used.
Looks like they have used their bog standard (meaning they use them in everything) Samwha SG's for all the decoupling and SIF-SAFCO's for the axials (very hard to get unless you are trade and order loads). Tants look AVX or more likely Kemet but without a close up....
Samwha are available from Cricklewood Electronics amongst others and are cheap. Says something.......

Naim will have chosen those caps to closely match the signature of the old ones. If they happen to be cheap then so be it.

Thanks for the info all. Also good to know about Samwha QC. Was just offering the pictures as a possible reference to DIY servicing. Interesting that they seemingly didn't replace the two blue caps on the main horizontal PCB.

Hi this probably warrants another thread but just wondering if anyone knows what and how many caps are required for the Olive Nap 250?

Hi this probably warrants another thread but just wondering if anyone knows what and how many caps are required for the Olive Nap 250?
Off the top of my head
6x 10/35 tant
6x 47/6 tant or 47/10
4x 10/63 axial with a bit of ESR
4x 47/35 axial it's across a 10v zener so 35v more than enough
4x 3K3 2 watt if the old ones are cooked
15000/63 or 22000/63 Kendeil

Reactions: MJS
You may also need the 4 x 10V zener if it's a really old one or you just got unlucky and they went noisy. They cost peanuts anyway so just as well to change.

Look at the 135 servicing thread in reference - the BoM is pretty much the same except you need two less reservoir caps and don't need the fan board components (factory spec is the last entry).

The brands I used are still holding up well (14 years later on two of my three pairs) but they certainly aren't the only good choices.

Thanks you know the best suppliers to get it from in the UK? I used to get the 22000/63 Kendeil from witch hat but now they are not trading any more.
Do you have the link for the 135 servicing thread. Again thank you so much.

Link

Unless JJ is selling them I don't think there is a UK source of Kendeil caps anymore. There is a Turkish Ebay seller but his prices are certainly on the high side so I don't think I'll be going there when the time comes. He's also selling 4 year old stock which would put me off slightly.

You can get the actual felsic caps Naim use much more reasonably.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13463406...pid=5338728743&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

I think I'd be inclined to go with one of the 22000uf Kemet offerings these days, either the 22000uF ALS40 (formerly BHC) or the PEH200 series (formerly Evox Rifa) or at a pinch the 15000uF ALS30, but before diving in I'd probably get an old 250 to service and try out a pair in that first.

for the 47uF caps on the regs boards Elna Silmic II's can be obtained from HIFIcollective as can the Nichicon Muze KZ if you prefer that. Neiljadman seemed to favour the green Nichicon Muze KZ bipolar cap for the 47uF on the regs board and it might well be a good choice but wasn't available to me 14 years ago.

The 47uF Vishay 031 AS series also works if you must have axial caps.

The 10uF panasonic NHG series is very widely available and again if you want to stick with Axial the 10uF Vishay 031 AS series is fine.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thank you so much! Yeah ideally the Kendeil will be better but so hard to find in the UK now. Witch-hat used to supply them.

I had a few Kendeil 22000/63 to sell but I am not allowed to advertise here until I until I hit the post count threshold.

advertisement

Back