advertisement

DIY mains lead-What cable is best

marvan

On the banks of the Tay
Hi
Can anyone give me advice on a reasonable priced 3 core cable to use?
It has to be flexible.
Ideally silver plated.
looking to make 3
I have made a hydra with silver plated multi-stranded cable enclosed in white silicone insulation with one two and three written on the white insulation and then covered with black silicone but cannot remember the name. Any ideas?
Many thanks
Marvan

Hi Alan It looks good. Your link doesn't seem to work. Was it the black version or the newer red combination one? How flexible is it? Many thanks and best wishes Marvan

I use Supra LoRad 2.5 SPC. The cable is designed to comply with the regulations regarding removable mains cables, so it is flexible, silver plated and shielded. I use it in all my system with great success.

Hi Alex Thanks for getting in touch. Sounds perfect. I shall investigate.
Have you compared it to anything else in terms of sound quality? Eg the belden?
Many thanks and best wishes
Marvan

Hi Alex Thanks for getting in touch. Sounds perfect. I shall investigate.
Have you compared it to anything else in terms of sound quality? Eg the belden?
Many thanks and best wishes
Marvan

I have had various cables which varied from the stock cables, to some stiff fat ones made for me by Definitive Audio. I did not notice any difference with either of them.
When a load of houses were built all around us, the sound became harsh in the treble and I did not know why. I started to look at how recording studio`s power their equipment.
They use a big balanced power supply and shielded mains cables. I took their advise and not only did the system sound better, but it stays consistent through the day so no waiting for late evening when the power demands reduce.
I stuck with LoRad because they do the cables in 2.5 sq mm and have full shielding.

I have not tried the Belden cable, but looking at the spec sheet, if you are OK with the 2.08 sq mm and are not worried about the silver plating they should be fine as they are 100% shielded.

I have 3 "Hydras". One built with Belden screened cable, one with rubber insulated tinner copper wires and one with ordinary copper mains cable.
The Belden one adds some sibilance. The rubber insulated one sounds very "big" and dynamic, but over long perids of listening I always seem to gravitate back to the one with ordinary copper leads. If sounds less impressive but somehow more correct.

During the construction of the Hydras I decided to equalise all the tail (neck?) lengths and was surprised to hear a noticeable improvement in sound quality on the copper one, which had previously had random lengths.

Hi
Its a fascinating journey
You have to let your ears do the talking
It is also about synergy within your system.
Thanks for everyones insights
Keep them coming
Best wishes
Marvan

advertisement

Back