Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Linear Tracking tonearm

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Lordhenley, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Lordhenley

Lordhenley pfm Member

Ive been toying with the idea of making one of these based on the Cantus theory which uses bearings running along a track. Has anyone on here taken on such a project, would be interested to hear any feedback on wether it was worth doing.

Here is a link to 193 pages of DIY Linear Tracking tonearm builds

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/238027-diy-linear-tonearm.html

2. LesW

LesW Retired at user request

My friend, the late Tom Fletcher, once marketed one such
    device but ran into probs with dust in the bearings causing
    "stickiness". YMMV of course.

3. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

4. Lordhenley

Lordhenley pfm Member

I thought about the air suspended tonearm and still may have a look at it. When I was at the Whittlebury show last week I had a look at the arm on the Clearaudio TT which used the rolling bearing principles of Cantus, beautifully put together however the bearings were exposed to dust as per the Tom Fletcher / Cantus design, I wonder how they get round the dust issue?