advertisement

DIY IPL Acoustics Transmission Line S4tl Speaker Kit Build

underzone

pfm Member
Hi all,

after having tried many speakers for my living room and getting mixed results, I have decided to go the DIY route! I have had many sets of speakers over the years from AE109's, Monitor Audio Bronze BX6 (£600) to Linn Majik 140 (£1600) then Monitor Audio Silver 10 (£1500), Kudos Cardea C20 (£2950) till PMC Twenty.24 (£3400). I had decided that I like the low end response and effortless dynamics of the transmission line design, but wanted a model with more bass weight (and finished in Oak to match the floor for WAF). The PMC Twenty.24 is a fine speaker, but in the end the 6.5" bass drive didn't deliver the bass extension and quantity I would expect at that price point.

I had recently been thinking about buying the newly released Proac D20 (£2649) as it features a ribbon tweeter, but was hesitant again that I would likely not get the bass extension with just one bass 6.5" drive. Also the Oak finish I wanted was not an option.

That was when I saw an advert in the back of HiFi News. A company called IPL (http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/) had a mail order kit for a transmission line kit that featured the renowned Foundtek CD3.0 ribbon tweeter an excellent HiVi Research 8" Kevlar paper bass drive unit and it had a lower frequency response of 23Hz! If you were wondering, the IPL in the IPL Acoustics equation is Ivan Peter Leslie, they are UK based and have been in business for over 20 years. I telephoned IPL and was immediately aware that the owner Ivan wasn't trying to do the usual hard sell. I had initially thought I would order the biggest (and most expensive) kit the S5tl, but Ivan talked me out of it due to my room size and layout. It is not often that a company don't want you to buy their most expensive item. I was also pleased that all my technical questions about the crossover design, boundary distances and tuning methods were competently and easily answered.

I have since ordered the S4tl total kit had it delivered and part built it. This is what I ordered:
http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl_s4_mk5__transmission_line.htm
The cost of the kit delivered was just £614 - amazing value. The oak veneer costs another £125. The internal silver plated OFC cabling (Chord Odyssey 2) cost £120. Labour was free...
The pics below show stage 1, construction. I will add stage 2, finishing & veneering with iron on Oak veneer when I actually do it later this month.

One of the delivered boxes. This one full of machined MDF (the other full of drivers, components and foam):

Starting to build the MDF carcasses. I used Gorilla wood glue and a brad nail gun (optional, I am only using it because I have it) to hold and then clamped the pieces together. The Gorilla wood glue has a clamp time of just 30 minutes so build time was fast:

Two cabinets nearly built:

Acoustic foam now added. Note that there are two 45 degree reflectors that are part of the transmission line. I decided to fill the created voids with Soudal Genius insulation foam to ensure no resonance could occur. I used this foam from ScrewFix with has a stated 60dB acoustic rating. Also I used Evo-Stik carpet spray adhesive as it sticks like crazy (the instructions say to use hot melt glue) and was very easy to use:

Now ready to join the two sides and seal the cabinet enclosure:

One built crossover. The kit design schematics specify a bi-wire crossover. However I wanted a foo free speaker, and modified the design internally to present just one pair of binding posts. I used Pro-G Series Insulated Binding Posts just out of personal preference (the kit comes supplied with 4x gold hard plated posts):

Crossover installed and wires just waiting patiently. I used Chord Odyssey 2 cable to wire internally, which matches my speakers cable:

I also made a speaker base plinth (which will be finished satin black) from 2 layers of 15mm MDF glued together. They were later cut to size and a radius was routed on the top edge. This is not supplied by IPL but is something I like the look of:

Drivers installed (a small amount of long haired wool goes behind the bass driver (between 10-20g to tune bass extension), speakers placed into position:

Marking up the oak veneer to cut (with scissors):

Using the flush trim router bit to trim excess veneer. I just used the Mrs clothes iron (set to cotton, no steam) to iron it on:

The crossover/speaker terminal cut out. See what a nice job the flush trim bit does!

First coat of Osmo Matt Polyx-Oil going on (same as what is on the oak flooring in my listening room). The speakers will have three coats in all.

Two cabinets just chilling/drying:

Setting up the newly made speaker grilles. I always liked the look of my old Kudos C20 grilles, so I copied them!

Adding the transmission line vent-hole cover:

One done! Just need to chuck the drivers/crossover/wool into the other, and also cover the grilles with the supplied black cloth:

I always liked the look of my old PMC Twenty.24 base/plinth, so I copied them! Made from two layers of 18mm MDF, sprayed with Halfords cellulose car paint & lacquer. In between the base/plinth and the bottom of the speaker are four M12 nuts painted matt black. The speaker appears to float on top of the base/plinth, like the Neat Elite/Kudos C20 etc:

Speaker grille cloth now stuck to the frame with hot melt glue:

The oak veneer should darken slightly over the coming months/years and should eventually shade match the floor exactly (I hope). Now to sit back and finally enjoy them!

From start to finish the job took about eight full working days. A lot of work! However the sound quality is sensational and makes it all worthwhile. Listening to Adele’s ‘Rolling In The Deep’ reveals every instrument clearly. The ‘dry’ taught drum beats are reproduced effortlessly as are the vocals when they come in.

Listening to The XX track ‘Fantasy’ shows the brilliant bass extension that transmission line speakers are capable of. The exceeding low notes are easily produced. The room practically shakes yet the notes are clearly defined and melodic.

On another ridiculously bass heavy track, Jessie Wares ‘If You're Never Gonna Move’ you can feel the air pressure from the impressive bass extension and weight, yet the vocals remain clear and not at all congested.

These are easily the best speakers overall that I have owned. I have never has such effortless and controlled bass. The Hi-Vi Research 8” drive has really shocked me. I would also say that the Foundtek CD3.0 tweeter is the second best tweeter that I have heard. The SEAS Crescendo K2 tweeter in the Kudos C20 very narrowly beats this Ribbon, which is to be expected I suppose as it is five times the cost! The Foundtek CD3.0 tweeter is in fact beautifully smooth and not at all harsh, I have no complaints with it at all.

I would happily recommend these IPL speakers to anyone thinking about building some. There is a significant amount of effort/work/patience involved but it is definitely worthwhile!

If you go to TNT audio, > speaker reviews, you'll find a description of the building of your IPL's little brother. You might find it interesting.
By the way, why use gorilla glue? I thought on MDF one was supposed to use standard white wood glue.

One thing that slightly annoyed me was the Kevlar paper bass driver colour, bright yellow! Unfortunately it seems to be Hi-Vi Research's signature, much like B&W have the pale yellow mid-range drivers. Anyway, bring on the Pentel N50 permanent black marker!

Two coats/colourings later:

It is an alcohol based permanent dye marker, so the mass added to the Kevlar paper driver is negligible and will not affect sound quality (listening tests confirm this). However I am a lot happier with the look:

Underzone, Thanks for posting your IPL build.

I've built 2 of Ivan's kits and bought many components from him. They are excellent and work well with naim ;) and I'm surprised you don't see more on forums like this.

Well worth playing with the wool wadding and foam to get the right amount of bass.

Hope you have many fun hours with you new toys ;)

Thanks nitrous. I have just ordered 6 rolls of 2.5m by 30cm wide pre-glued iron on Oak veneer. £105 delivered, it should arrive Tuesday most likely. Can't wait to get started veneering!

Thanks nitrous. I have just ordered 6 rolls of 2.5m by 30cm wide pre-glued iron on Oak veneer. £105 delivered, it should arrive Tuesday most likely. Can't wait to get started veneering!

Excellent, that should finish the project off nicely! I look forward to more pictures:D

Unfortunately work has been very busy, which has meant no further progress. However I am going to book some leave for next week so I can hopefully get the veneering done. Here are a few pics of the pre-glued 2.4m long x 0.3m wide Oak veneer sheets which arrived last week:

They do seem to be getting even mellower over the weeks. The treble is VERY sweet. Smooth with no sibilance. The bass output is exceedingly deep and powerful, just the way I like it. They absolutely trounce my last speakers (PMC Twenty.24)!

They do seem to be getting even mellower over the weeks. The treble is VERY sweet. Smooth with no sibilance. The bass output is exceedingly deep and powerful, just the way I like it. They absolutely trounce my last speakers (PMC Twenty.24)!

...and they cost over £3k! What size room are you using them in? Would love to build something but I am limited to a room about 3.5m square by 2.3m height which will be a dedicated room. I will be firing diagonally across the room as this appears to be a good solution where the floor-plan is square.

Thanks,
AP

...and they cost over £3k! What size room are you using them in? Would love to build something but I am limited to a room about 3.5m square by 2.3m height which will be a dedicated room. I will be firing diagonally across the room as this appears to be a good solution where the floor-plan is square.

Thanks,
AP

....well one good thing about the IPL kits is that a) there are quite a few different kits b) you can tune the bass output to room/personal taste.c) Ivan (mr.IPL) seems like a chap who will help out if you need advice.

....well one good thing about the IPL kits is that a) there are quite a few different kits b) you can tune the bass output to room/personal taste.c) Ivan (mr.IPL) seems like a chap who will help out if you need advice.

Thanks. I won't highjack this thread further.

AP

advertisement

Back