advertisement

DIY Hearing Test

Yes, tinnitus here too, for about 15 years or so. When I listen to test tones (in headphones to take the speakers / room out of the equation) I also have some weird effects in the upper mid to treble region. Can't remember which way round now but with increasing frequency, as one ear starts to roll off a little, the other becomes more sensitive; then the ear which was rolling off then regains some sensitivity as the other begins to roll off, then the first ear rolls off. Not the 'phones as I get the same with the earpads switched left-to-right. It can cause sibilants (or similar frequencies) to appear disjointed from the main sound, or some vocals can suddenly 'shoot left'.

I ´m beginning to think I prefer just being literally stone deaf in one ear. At least it´s constant and doesn´t depend on frequency.

I'm suffering from what I think (based on extensive Googling) is middle-ear myoclunus, and/or palatal tremor in my left ear. It presents as a geiger counter type noise that comes and goes, although these days it's present more often than not (latest incidence has been since around the start of July). It's loud enough to be a problem, and at least I have an ENT appointment coming up for investigation. Ordinary tinnitus isn't pleasant, but take it from me, this is way worse. There are (many) times where I wonder about the wisdom of even having a great system when for a fair chunk of the time I find listening a bit uncomfortable (due to the geiger noise). Other times, it's fine. It clicks between once or twice a minute to as much as (I estimate) 500 times per minute - just like a geiger counter. Quite depressing, frankly.

I used to suffer something similar until I tried relaxation exercises which fixed it. Maybe stress-related?

I'm really not stressed. Not appreciably, anyway. But, yeah, it's something to maybe look into.... oddly enough, putting an earplug in minimises it somewhat, since particular sounds - running water, the kettle, coffee steamer, certain frequencies - can set it off. tried those Calmer earplugs but they didn't work.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word stress. I found it was related to muscle tension around the jaw. I used to grind my teeth too. The question is whether the noises are 'real', i.e. physical, or electrical, i.e. in the auditory system after the cochlea. Tinnitus is a tough one - you have my sympathy

..... particular sounds - running water, the kettle, coffee steamer, certain frequencies - can set it off..

What started my problems off was the car - both the drumming of the tyres, and in particular the wind noise in the right ear when driving. Both seemed to set off some sort of resonance.

What started my problems off was the car - both the drumming of the tyres, and in particular the wind noise in the right ear when driving. Both seemed to set off some sort of resonance.

Yes, that's very familiar to me. I had one job, where I was driving 340 miles to work, staying away for the week and 340 miles back; I was driving 35,000 miles per year. Then another following that, where I was driving 145 miles to work, staying away for the week and 145miles back. Thankfully, I don't have to do that any more, but it played havoc with my ears and I suffered the same resonation as you.

On the subject of auditory abnormalities, ever since my late teens I have experienced momentary episodes of hearing a high-pitched sine wave. Immediately before it happens, that ear goes quiet, and then the tone begins, lasts a few seconds before slowly fading away. After that, my hearing returns to normal. It can happen in either ear, but never both at the same time. In the beginning, it happened maybe once every few months, but there was a point three or four years ago when it was happening a few times per day. It's now settled down again to the point where it happens maybe once a week or so. I asked an ENT about it a few years ago and got that 'look' as if I was talking nonsense! I recall someone on here telling me it's the sound a hair receptor makes as it dies. If that was the case then surely everyone would experience it? I don't think it's tinnitus as I had an episode of that for the very first time following a respiratory infection that resulted in my ear becoming blocked with mucous and it was extremely debilitating from a mental/psychological POV.

Last edited:
On the subject of auditory abnormalities, ever since my late teens I have experienced momentary episodes of hearing a high-pitched sine wave. Immediately before it happens, that ear goes quiet, and then the tone begins, lasts a few seconds before slowly fading away. After that, my hearing returns to normal. I can happen in either ear, but never both at the same time. In the beginning, it happened maybe once every few months, but there was a point three or four years ago when it was happening a few times per day. It's now settled down again to the point where it happens maybe once a week or so. I asked an ENT about it a few years ago and got that 'look' as I was talking nonsense! I recall someone on here telling me it's the sound a hair receptor makes as it dies. If that was the case then surely everyone would experience it? I don't think it's tinnitus as I had an episode of that for the very first time following a respiratory infection that resulted in my ear becoming blocked with mucous and it was extremely debilitating from a mental/psychological POV.

I have the same experience a few times a year. One ear goes quiet, a sine wave sound fades in, then out again after a few seconds. I have also seen that explanation about it being a receptor dying off, which is not good.

I had a hearing test once that produced bad results and for a while afterwards I fooled myself into thinking I could not hear properly. However a second test not long after produced normal results. As I was not aware of a problem before the first, I like to think the second test was the more accurate of the two.

To be fair, I think the brain can compensate for a lot. My geiger counter noise is very annoying, but if I fixate on it it makes it worse. Under some circumstances, I can forget all about it and in turn it seems to recede. Very strange, but I have some faith that the brain can learn to ignore and perhaps negate such noise in time. At least, I hope so!

For those who don't like the idea of having your ears syringed, you can opt to have your ears vacuumed instead if the surgery has the (fab) gear. Vacuuming might be safer though I have never tried it.

Syringing can be very unpleasant if the water temperature runs from cold to hot in short order, and if the nurse bends your ear too much (not just in the conversational sense!). To lessen the torture, Earex drops are very effective if you use them for a few days in the run up to the appointment.

Do not be tempted to order an ear syringe kit online. A trained person must check your ears for ruptured ear drums, infections etc. before it is used.

advertisement

Back