advertisement

DIY Headphone cable (no need for popcorn!)

hc25036

pfm Member
I thought there would be a thousand threads about headphone cables, but a search didn't reveal any useful for me.

First up, I am most definitely not a cable believer! All I want to do is have a decent 2m cable to use in the house for my Bose H6 with a 1/4 inch jack at one end and a single mini jack to connect to the phones. My issue is one of convenience and tidiness - hence not wanting a converter hanging off one end. Looking nice would be an advantage...

I can find a million interconnects where I could replace a mini jack with a standard jack (my soldering is passable) and plenty of sites suggest using microphone cable for DIY, but 99% of the sellers are in the USA.

Can anyone help with some suggestions? I'm not looking for a £400 cable for my £200 infrequently-used headphones, but instinctively shy away from £6.99 Fisual ones... Is there any hope for me? Or am I being stupid to not want an converter from QED for £20?

If you want to go DIY, and you are in the DIY section..:)

The Tour Grade Classic XKE microphone cable would work well, available on Amazon in the UK and cheap. Colourful too.

Switchcraft jacks are decent and cheap too. Farnell, ebay have them.

Thanks Chiily. Having just opened the box, I'll be making a standard cable as well since the cable that came with them looks to have a value of about 10p! Might struggle with the mini-jack size at the headphone end though, it looks to be a very small diameter.

Thanks Chiily. Having just opened the box, I'll be making a standard cable as well since the cable that came with them looks to have a value of about 10p! Might struggle with the mini-jack size at the headphone end though, it looks to be a very small diameter.
If your not a cable believer, so what if the cables looks shite.

It's just a signal, any old crap will do, surely :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

If your not a cable believer, so what if the cables looks shite.

It's just a signal, any old crap will do, surely :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

No harm done - someone had to bite! The supplied cable is sh1t of the first order and won't be given house room, even to connect a doorbell, on looks alone. I may not be a believer in solid kryptonite cryogenically treated cables blessed by monks, but I'd like something that looks like it might have cost more than 10p!

Thanks - their site is down just now, but I had a quick look yesterday. I think Ther were quoting 3 months delivery...

Yeah, thats about right with their backlog of orders, put me off too, so I just ordered all the parts from their DIY section, and made the cables myself :D

Damme Van funky.

s-l1600.jpg

advertisement

Back