advertisement

Diy Arm board for Michell decks

gwernaffield

pfm Member
Hi After asking Gert Pederson the price of his Arm board £121 , i was shocked to see it was a Perspex ring 3 bolts and a rubber ring , i went onto eBay contacted wholesaleplastics , asked them to make the Perspex rig , for an some 309 cost £20 3 bolts £5 and then a rubber sheet 1.5 to make the rubber ring ,

I drilled the acrylic ring out to suite the Michell arm board , and then cut the rubber sheet to the correct size , the diameter is 114 x with a 89mm hole in the centre , the thickness is 12mm, this gets rid of the 3 spacers that come with the deck ,so for roughly £25 you can have a complete spacer (gp arm board )
The lads at wholesale plastics will make any shape or size you need, the thinner the material the cheaper it gets, i bought 2 rings at £29 ,

In his defence he has to manufacture, stock advertise etc, but as you say its often cheaper to make your own or as you have done source the bits.
Some people may say the materials are something special but I doubt it.
Well done.

how did you calculate the correct weight?
If you make something of the same size and material then the weight is going to be close enough. I don't believe that Michell make armboards with weights sufficiently different that they balance up the difference between, say, a Hancock and an SME V.

If you make something of the same size and material then the weight is going to be close enough. I don't believe that Michell make armboards with weights sufficiently different that they balance up the difference between, say, a Hancock and an SME V.

I thought that was precisely what was claimed that they did do, but I have no real experience, and was only going on what (I thought) I'd read...

cheers
Matt

They may claim that, in fact i know that they do. However if you are making something of that size in those materials your ability to change the mass to that extent is limited. In addition, in engineering terms it's something of a "so-what" issue. I think they are making a big deal out of not much.

I think the Armboards compensate for tonearm difference as stated. If not then you're not going to get or setup correct pistonic movement. I was told 1KG tonearm and board but not sure if correct, never checked.

advertisement

Back