advertisement

Diy amp choices

ron

Tweaker
Hi all

I'm trying to find the best diy amp to use in my system, my choices as yet are Avondale NCC200 or Randy Slone Opti-mos, any advice or idea's would be much appreciated

I currently have a heavily modified valve amp using a passive stepped attenuator and a diy Gainclone, I'm very happy with the valve amp but I would also like a good solid state amp aswell plus I enjoy diy;)

Regards,
Ron

if you're up to getting some circuit boards etched then you could consider the 135 clones on Neil McBrides website. I am just nearing completion of a pair with a lot of hints and tips from Ashley D and Fretless Eric - only fully finished one so far so checking it out in mono and its fab already - can't wait for the other one. total cost for two has been in the order of £600-ish

Must admit I don't think my Avondale NCC200 based dual mono (i.e. a 260Z) beasty cost that much to build, though I made the case which helped keep the cost down.

cost includes such things as separate VAS regulator boards, a little cascode tweak board from Eric/Ashley, blackgate caps, a few vishay resistors, specially wound antrim transformers, 8 off elna cerafine 10000uF main caps (4 per amp), 2 x 12" lengths of 3mm thick 40mm copper U channel for heatsink. Plus its surporising how the other little things add up. I still reckon its an absolute bargain though

Ah yes - I've not used regulator boards, so that will add to the cost, and I only have a single tranny (with twin secondaries) - soon adds up, as you say!

The £600 was for tthe wo amps Which meant two of everything. The transformers also each have two 40 - 0 - 40 secondaries with half bridges using soft recovery diodes and so it goes on. But as I said initial findings are that its all been very worthwhile. will do some photos when I can find the USB lead for my digital camera

Thanks for the advice guys

I'll try the Naim clone then if it offers good results, I will order the bare NCC200 Pcbs from Les I have a fairly large quantity of different components already, hopefully some of these may be suitable

2 x large 33v-0-33v Holden & Fisher torroidal transformers
8 of each 10,000uf 63v LCR and BHC capacitors 2 x 22,000uf 63v LCR capacitors
Various Blackgate FK capacitors
various Mica & Polystyrene caps
Metal film resistors
MBR10100 Schottky diodes
MBR20200 Schottky diodes
MSR860 diodes
NJ21194 transistors
NJ21195 transistors
BC547/557 transistors
ZTX653/753 transistors
MJE350 transistors
MJE15033 transistors
MJE15032 transistors
P2N2907ARL1 transistors

What are the best driver and output transistors to use? does anybody have a parts list and the best place where to get them?

Kind Regards,
Ron

Hello Ron,
Another McBride'r so I can help you out with a parts list if you go that route, or maybe TimH has a more upto date list. If you decide to go the Avondale route then I'm sure Les will supply a parts list.

Tim,
When you get your second amp finished drop me an email, I've got an experiment for you to try.

Cheers.

Hi Guys

It seems like there is plenty of tweak options available for these amps, I'll try the McBrides amp if you kind chaps can give me a parts list and any advice seeing as you have already built them, the only other amp nearest solid state in my system now is a diy Gainclone so it will be very interesting to hear the results when it's finished

Kind Regards,
Ron

Ron,

Don't remember if I e mailed you before, but I previously used McB 135 clones and switched over to the Randy Slone OptiMos and the OptiMos is far superior (plus no RF interference).

Regards

Martin

I know this is nt a diy amp but have a look at the 200 watt mono block,there are some good pictures in the newsletter. all I want to know is how do they sell it for $300 delivered.
norh.com is the site. I know labour is cheap in the far east but how would we get hold of the bits for this price (about £190 all in delivered)

Looking at AA,it seems that they are having trouble building and delivering these amps......not surprised at this price.

Paul.

advertisement

Back