advertisement

DiscoCAT Speaker Design

Further to this:

I was quite happy listening to the LS50Ms and had done quite a few hours of casual and modest level listening. I thought I would have nice music sesh this afternoon and tweaked the wick up a bit. It didn't take all that long to realise that the music was just not that engaging, so the DiscoCATs went back in. Wow - different league, lots more grip and dynamics. No way would I swap these for the LS50s! The DCs just sound so much more definite and real.

So what on earth is going on? The LS50s are very nice at low levels, but as the level goes up the resolution goes down. By the time you get to "fun" SPLs the LS50s sound like they are being fed 128K MP3. My active crossover is filtering below 120Hz so the LS50s should have plenty of headroom, even LS3/5As can play louder without strain when used like this. I would estimate that the bass cone never moves more than about 2mm at this listening level. In particular, it seems to be that the treble goes weird with the LS50s. I am suspicious of some sort of doppler time-smear caused by the "waveguide" for the tweeter moving. I know KEF has done some very clever engineering on this, but???

I might be on the hunt for new tweeter.

I spent yesterday evening comparing the DCs to a pair of SCM9s and LS50 Metas (all crossed over to the bass extenders).
Athough I (we) preferred the DCs to the others overall, the SCM9s did have a better resolved and "finer" treble. That ATC tweeter is a gem.

I suppose I should try a decent capacitor in the treble crossover before trying another tweeter. Must admit I wouldn't expect this to make much difference but it's the cheaper and therefore more sensible option.
I think the current one is a 7.5uF 100V one of these:

Any suggestions for a better cap?

Also, any suggestions for a better tweeter than the CAT308?
I expect it's not possible to buy a pair of ATC tweeters.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
ATC used to use Vifa tweeters, I guess an OEM variant, before they started making their own.

ATC used to use Vifa tweeters, I guess an OEM variant, before they started making their own.
Yes, Vifa D27TG-46-06 with ATC faceplate on the early SCM10/SCM20 and the Vifa D26NC-55-06 on the other Mk1 & Mk2 'Entry' range (A7/SCM7/11/12/19/35/40 etc) before they introduced their own. The SCM20SL and some of the larger models used a Seas T25CF001 at some point as well.

I might be on the hunt for new tweeter.

I spent yesterday evening comparing the DCs to a pair of SCM9s and LS50 Metas (all crossed over to the bass extenders).
Athough I (we) preferred the DCs to the others overall, the SCM9s did have a better resolved and "finer" treble. That ATC tweeter is a gem.

I suppose I should try a decent capacitor in the treble crossover before trying another tweeter. Must admit I wouldn't expect this to make much difference but it's the cheaper and therefore more sensible option.
I think the current one is a 7.5uF 100V one of these:

Also, any suggestions for a better tweeter than the CAT308?
I expect it's not possible to buy a pair of ATC tweeters.

The ATC tweeters are listed by ATC in their spares list, £175/ea (2021 price) or £325 for the S version, not sure if they will sell to DIY though, I doubt it now.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks chaps!

BTW I’m very impressed with the SCM7s. The quality of engineering for £1K is very refreshing (my pal rejected a few cult speakers at >2X the price, that sounded notably inferior, before taking the ATCs home).

I'm very partial to Jensen Z-Superiors, and cannot recommend them highly enough. They are not stupidly expensive, and they are markedly better-sounding than the plain-Jane Solen caps I used to use.

For the couple of times I've played with such - I do concur with the Jansen Z-superiors recommendation
The sheer containment of electrostatic forces (which can be huge) may well be the key - the Z-superiors,are epoxy encapsulated, inside a an ally cylinder. Made a startling improvement to my Impulse H2s, anyway.

Thanks, seems like a good endorsement.

I would need to buy 6.8 µF and .68 µF to get to my desired 7.5 µF value

Thanks, seems like a good endorsement.

I would need to buy 6.8 µF and .68 µF to get to my desired 7.5 µF value
If you haven't already ordered, and you're interested, I may have some 6.8uf Jantzen-Z-Superiors here.

Just tried bypassing my cheapo caps with a fancy 0.01uF bypass cap. I bought a couple many years ago when they were recommended by a “guru“. I never heard any difference in my CAOW1s and I can’t hear any difference now.

Just tried bypassing my cheapo caps with a fancy 0.01uF bypass cap. I bought a couple many years ago when they were recommended by a “guru“. I never heard any difference in my CAOW1s and I can’t hear any difference now.
Not surprising, reactance is 796R at 20kHz! For comparison 6.8uF is 1.2R.

Yes definitely interested. Please could you let me know how much you want for a pair (via PM). Cheers, Dave
I've only got these in 6.8uF

Huvt64t.jpeg

Do you fancy selling those Mundorf caps? :)
They're all for sale. But I should let S-man decide if he wants them first.

I'm thinking half price (using hifi collective pricing + postage)

I've got a new hobby, so will very likely regret this when I come back to speaker design (I always do).

Yes please, I will take the 2 pcs each of the 4.7 and 2.7, if that’s ok.

Drop me a pm with the total and your preferred method of receiving payment.

Thanks.

advertisement

Back