advertisement

Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" being re-released!

Blurboy

pfm Member
I've been hunting for a 180g copy of this album for ages and missed one on eBay that was brand new when I got out-bid grrrrrr. Anyway I was doing a Google search today and a shop in the States is advertising it as being re-released in April!!!!!! I can't wait as I think it's a fabulous album and Telegraph Road is one of my very all-time favourite tracks off ANY album. Christmas comes early for Hadge :D

Great news, great album. My favourite, on a par with Communiqué and better than Brothers In Arms which, after all, wasn't that much of a Dire Straits album.

I don't suppose the remaster can undo the total overproduction that LoG suffers from..?

I have to say the eponymous Dire Straits is the only DS album I'll admit to thoroughly enjoying.

Saw them with Talking Heads at Eric's Liverpool in 1978. Worst group ever. They were a parody of everything that had gone before. Very professional and tight but nothing to add to the fury of change that was driving music forward at the time. Well I suppose if you like them I am not going to persuade you otherwise. Enjoy!

I thought he played a guitar reasonably well lol. One mans meat again I guess but I always believe that anyway.

Title track is really quite lovely IMHO. Just 'cos it's not some ****y female vocalist on a ****y label that no one has heard of doesn't mean it isnt enjoyable.

but theres more to music than good playing , I can listen to the first album , but quite frankly the rest leaves me bored , I'd rather put on the Clash , far more honest...:)

Just like classical music is like lift music to me! Music is all about enjoyment and will always divide opinions but I guess some people like to shove their opinions on others lol.

I had a heads-up on this 3 weeks ago from a US store that I have bought from in the past.

They have Communique, Dire Straights and Brothers in Arms available on 180-gram from Warner Bros and are taking orders for Love Over Gold and Making Movies that are 'coming soon'.

I've bought vinyl from these peeps before that I never did see arrive in the UK. Unfortunately they used UPS who demand their payment for duty VAT etc at the door and refuse delivery otherwise. I had to cough up 90 quid last tme and then the b----------s sent another bill for their handlng charges. Give me DHL any day.

Still with the UKP down to 1.5 USD that makes each album ariund 16 quid plus delivery plus import duty plus VAT so over 20 quid each. I already have these five and have in the past been diappointed with 180-gram re-issues. Many are warped unlike the old originals.

Look up www.musicdirect.com if interested. They have a lot of other good stuff including limited editions so hide yer wallets.............

Cheers,

DV

Hi DV, MusicDirect is where I found the info. I also saw the other albums being re-released and I can't wait. I had a quote for delivery from them yesterday and it is bloody expensive so I'll try get a bundle sent in one go. Pity we didn't know anyone in the States who could help with carriage lol.

Currently playing Alchemy, DS live. It's great. I do like their first album and while it's currently fashionable to knock them, play the records and they are very switched on indeed.:)

I very much like their first two albums, surely any old copy of LOG is good enough. Can't say I've played mine in over 15 years.

Currently playing Alchemy, DS live. It's great. I do like their first album and while it's currently fashionable to knock them, play the records and they are very switched on indeed.:)

It was fashionable to knock them 20 years ago, when it comes to currently you get reactions like "oh yes, I think I've heard of Dire Straits, my dad used to like them when he was young..." (actual quote from someone I was working with last year - my reaction was ...yeah...thanks...is that my zimmer frame?)

But, hey, this is a hi-fi forum, people are still having the same tired old CD vs vinyl arguments from that era, so they still want to have the same musical ones...

p.s.
I still like BIA, so shoot me...

advertisement

Back