advertisement

Digital Stylus Force Scale

The eBay ones that are sold as jewellers scales are fine but you need to make a platform to move the weighing area to one side as all the ones I have encountered are attracted to magnets (i.e. the ones in your cartridge).

+1

Many of them are totally unsuitable unless modified.
I shudder to think at the working conditions on some MC cartridges set up using these things.

That's cool - but to put all this in context, I would consider 0.45g a really large amount!

That's cool - but to put all this in context, I would consider 0.45g a really large amount!

Indeed!!! - which is why I am glad I came across this digital measuring instrument as I have been that much off since I installed the Technoweight... :eek:

The X3-MC cartridge should have a tracking force of 2.0g - it weighs 4.1g and the specs for tracking are between 1.8 and 2.2 (being the max) I am seeing anywhere between 2.45 and 2.51 depending on the angle position I place the cartridge onto the digital gauge....

I also bought the Fads with Flair one from ebay which looks identical to the Audio Origami one.

I was a bit concerned that the pad was much higher than the record surface and that the reading would be different at the correct height. I tried propping the scales next to the platter but at the height the record would be and the readings were the same.

i did find that I needed to leave the stylus on the scale for a few seconds as the reading crept up a couple of hundredths but was then stable.

Try Maplin they do a set for about £10 which are non magnetic, you can draw a centred cross or a dot on some masking tape to make sure you use the same place.

Nothing wrong with the Ortofon scales linked to - but they are just jewellery scales that have been modified in the way I suggested.

AudioFlatbalance_zps0d37c203.jpg

I do like the look of this scale - Where does one get one of these? Are they cheaper than the Ortofon equivalent?

is the mechanical stylus guage effective? thought of trying mechanical for a pre-vinyl session measurements

There's nothing really wrong with the simple balance scales that Ortofon do - the truth is that they are accurate enough to get to within 0.5 of a gram and then you need to adjust by ear anyway.

There's nothing really wrong with the simple balance scales that Ortofon do - the truth is that they are accurate enough to get to within 0.5 of a gram and then you need to adjust by ear anyway.

Agreed, or the age old Shure SFG-2 which I've always found accurate.
Had mine for over 30 years now.

Received my scales from Audio Origami. Very pleased, very accurate. They threw in a 5g calibration weight for free. £26 inc postage.

The calibration 5g weight is part of this package, or at least was in mine, which looks to be identical. I do feel, though, that a mid-way weight, say, 2.5g, would be a better indicator of accuracy, not that anyone does this, to my knowledge.

The calibration 5g weight is part of this package, or at least was in mine, which looks to be identical. I do feel, though, that a mid-way weight, say, 2.5g, would be a better indicator of accuracy, not that anyone does this, to my knowledge.

A 1p coin should be 3.56g according to the royal mint, so could use one of them.

Since I've owned a digital stylus scale, my Shure balance has rested in peace safely in the bin where it belongs; a dangerous and inaccurate contraption.

mat

advertisement

Back