advertisement

Digital solution

matt j

pfm Member
This isn't about DACs but about the control side of things. I need a solution for controlling Tidal that doesn't involve the Chromecast Audio, is there one?

I used to connect the DAC to an Intel style NUC headless PC which lived under the rack, this worked flawlessly but the problem was it could only be controlled through a remote desktop window on the phone/tablet which was cumbersome and not very user friendly.

The Chromecast obviously lets me use the native Tidal app on my phone which is great, except I get wi-fi interference from it through the system and it's annoying to use because at the end of an album Tidal disconnects it as the playback source so every time you start some more music you have to go in and select the Chromecast again which is a complete ball ache so I've binned it off now.

I'm currently just using a trailing USB cable from the DAC that I plug into the laptop when I want some music on, this is only a temp solution until I can come up with something solid/faff free.

Any suggestions?

Interesting, I don't have the NUC any more. I did use JRiver up until getting Tidal, I didn't know it could control it.

I can't see how that controls Tidal though, it's just to send all Windows sounds through the JRiver media centre, I'd still need to browse and select music through Tidal somehow.

I use a blue sound node 2 which I use for Tidal, great app and node feeds my Dac via coax or optical.

I'm probably missing something, isn't that just an expensive Chromecast? I don't see what it actually does. I was hoping for a cheaper solution, the Node costs about 4x my DAC(!)

piCoreplayer on Pi with LMS and Todal plug-in controlled with SqueezePad or IPeng on phone or IPad or Orangesqueeze android or Material Skin on either.

Last edited:
I'm probably missing something, isn't that just an expensive Chromecast? I don't see what it actually does. I was hoping for a cheaper solution, the Node costs about 4x my DAC(!)
You'd probably be able to pick up a good condition 2nd hand Node 2 for around £200.
It will perform seamlessly with whatever you throw at it - be that Tidal/Qobuz/Amazon/Paradise etc or local files via network or directly attached.
That's 'what it actually does'.;)

Pi 3 is about £30. Software is free. You need the Tidal subscription of course. Material Skin is a free plugin, the others have minimal fee. You can go USB to Sac or you can invest in a dac hat for the Pi if you wish, ranging from £30 to £200. So minimal outlay really. I have a screen attached to mine so it emulates a Squeezebox Touch.

It’s worth just buying the basic raspberry pi to try it out. The Pi 3b+ is around £35. You can get that operational using free software and see how it suits you before spending any more. If you like it, you can improve the sound quality but adding a digi ‘hat’ to the pi. These range from around £25 to £250+ - the Allo DigiOne is excellent for £100!
Since I discovered the Pi system, I no longer consider any other streaming solution. Worth a punt.

Hmm, perhaps I have this wrong, but if you are generally happy with the CCA but can't use it on WiFi, how about using the Ethernet interface on it? Would that work?

EDIT: Sorry just seen it is a PITA to use for you as well, so forget me, move along, nothing to see here, apologies

Hmm, perhaps I have this wrong, but if you are generally happy with the CCA but can't use it on WiFi, how about using the Ethernet interface on it? Would that work?

EDIT: Sorry just seen it is a PITA to use for you as well, so forget me, move along, nothing to see here, apologies

How do you use it over Ethernet?

@matt j Get a trial of Roon. Assuming you have a PC to run Roon Core, use the CA as an end point.

Obviously be aware that that ties you to Tidal or Qobuz, but it’s really good. Explore its features and if you like it buy a lifetime sub. Cost isn’t low, but compared to some of the hardware we all happily shell out for, it’s a bargain.

Or if life is too short for all this computer bollocks buy a Linn DS.

No thanks a small, cheap PC is more than up to the task.

@Whaleblue do I still need to use the Chromecast with that? I was hoping to hit it with a hammer and launch it out the window.

I'm just after a cheap and simple way of sending Tidal to my DAC without having to use the Chromecast.

advertisement

Back