advertisement

Digital Lies Repair with Upgrades

CJ14

O.H.
I hate digital lies, reason a good analogue design needs no upgrade, and if designed well lasts for years. The poorly design week engineering skill that go into Software based hardware is disgusting. MicroCrap I find the worse it is always wanting to update, my PC, it was OK on XP.

Then some software company lets call it Google or Adobe decided that no other but Windows X will be allowed to use it. Then Microcrap shuts my PC off, my PC not there PC and tries to screw it around sends me notes messes my work up, well guys I have had enough, so piss OFF software lies or shall we say spies.

Now I have a NAS server, and guess what new upgrades, but the 15000 movies I have stored on it will have to be deleted to install it. It has worked now for 5yrs, so why does it need a upgrade? poor design? money? or some Google, type software want to screw you around and use 1984 tactic to spy on you. I find it odd on the forum I get adverts splatted across the top of the page I bet few of you get ads for Farnell etc. would you be interested in a new video chip. See we are spied on again, it not upgrades it is removing our personal lives.

Amazon (wrongly) thinks I'm a student, I'm quite happy about that ;-)

Google is not so much about money, the ads are just a way to fund the building of an AI that will know all there is to know about everything, ever. Once it starts to think for itself, things are gonna get very interesting...

Your issues are foreign to me and fairly well beyond my understanding, but it all sounds very frustrating!

I’d use a Linux OS. Otherwise (and also) keep all your media content on a USB drive and copy it to the main drive for playback as required.

Yes I need them mostly Documentaries and home movie, and I only sleep between 3-4 hrs a day.
1984 and Skynet is here, and Borg.
Think of the implant that are now being fitted I have one it monitors my heart then send the info to Bart's everyday via Wi-Fi, how much further could you extend it, could it be wired for example to restart the heart or stop it.
Think of the advancements in optical device, hearing, and sugar monitoring, how much further before some company, country, Hitler, decides the retirement age is now 30yrs, and you are switched off.
In the 1970, I wrote a paper on what I thought as a student computer would do, then the computers was the size of a house, 1MB hard drives were the size of a large washing machine I was being at the time sponsored by I.C.L.
I wrote the that personal computer would fit into a pocket and into humans, my lecturer gave me a low mark for the essay and said it would never happen well Dr Quirk you were wrong.

I'm Kinda OK with embracing the digital/human embedment, its gonna happen. Its almost the human races destiny and evolutionary footpath.

Reading between the lines it may be that the operating system running on his NAS needs a significant version upgrade which means wiping the disks and starting again. The reason for such a destructive procedure may be security (threat from the internet), ongoing support, features or a potential catastrophic data loss bug for example.

The previous might be bollox but saying it is one of the above there is always the choice is to do nothing and just keep the NAS sat chugging away as is, no updates, no new bells and whistles and a possible security risk.

I’m also sure that if Colin has any problems with his IT a fishie would be willing to help, I certainly would but suspect he’s nowhere near Aberdeen :) Faced with this I’d squirt the movies to another temp/loan NAS, upgrade the NAS in question, squirt back the movies. There are utilities to do just this task with little to zero user intervention once things kick off.

Ive read quite a lot of science fiction over the years, some of it dating back over 100 years. It's interesting how its sometimes on the money, sometimes misses things out completely, and sometimes is just way off in terms of timescales. I wouldn't be surprised if 100% human looking androids and genuine self conscious computers take a 1000 years to achieve.

I bet SMB 1 is not enabled.
Maybe, Win 10 before 1809 gave you 15 days to use SMB V1 then uninstalled the client, the newer versions of Win 10 don't have it installed at all and you have to manually activate the feature.

1. Look for "Control Panel" in the Windows Start menu or run "control"
    mceclip0.png

2. Click Programs > Programs and Features
    mceclip1.png

3. On the left side, click Turn Windows features on or off
    mceclip4.png
  4. The list now includes SMB 1.0 / CIFS file sharing Support. Tick the box and click OK.
    mceclip5.png

5. The feature is now installed. Please restart your PC afterward.
  6. You should now be able to reach the shares again.

advertisement

Back