advertisement

Differences between CB Naim Nap 250 and the Olive variety?

thatsnice

Hi all

Can anyone explain the differences between the Chrome bumper NAP250's and ones of the olive variety? I am not talking about the cosmetics either!

Thanks David

Different manufacturer of transformer. The experts think the chrome are better apart from some who think the olive is better. There will be some olives around that were chrome so don't fuss.

No doubt I will now be corrected.

The maker of the transformers did change, but not at the beginning of the olive production. I have early olive 135,s and they have H&F transformers.

Different manufacturer of transformer. The experts think the chrome are better apart from some who think the olive is better. There will be some olives around that were chrome so don't fuss.

No doubt I will now be corrected.

Meaning that some put CB innards into olive cases?

The general feeling is that the Holden & Fisher transformers were better, they are present in all the Chrome Bumper 250s and as YNWOAN says strayed into some Olive cases.

In fact the best 250 I have heard was a very early bolt up version I should never have sold, a very sweet sounding amp indeed.

So can a thirty year old CB NAP 250 still hold its own with the much newer NAP 250's? Night and day difference's?

Everyone please feel free to contribute....

All opinions appreciated!

The 250, other than the bolt up model I mentioned, which has a different layout, is essentially the same amp.

So yes an early Chrome version can be as good or better than a late Olive model.

The key is the condition.

They should be serviced and recapped every 10 years or so, if this is not done then it's a bit of a lottery.

Also many have been modified and had non standard bits fitted over the years which can change the sound.

The 250, other than the bolt up model I mentioned, which has a different layout, is essentially the same amp.

So yes an early Chrome version can be as good or better than a late Olive model.

The key is the condition.

They should be serviced and recapped every 10 years or so, if this is not done then it's a bit of a lottery.

Also many have been modified and had non standard bits fitted over the years which can change the sound.

So does one really need to have a firm understanding of electronics and Naim's circuitry to know he has an original CB or Olive or etc...?

I bought a secondhand CB250 with a Holden & Fisher transformer, the caps are Kendeils, which I beleive were changed 12-18 months prior to my buying. Anything could have been put in some of the older kit if not done by an authorised repair agent.

The 135's that I use are Olive but of the newer transformers. Quite a diffrence in performance but the CB250 is no slouch.

There have been 3 revisions of 250 boards over the years.

Initially there were the bolt-up chassis variants. The amp boards were long, thin and had the output transistors bolted to the case. The same boards were used in the 160 of that era.

When Naim moved to the inner chassis/sleeve arrangement the amp boards became squarer but most most importantly used the output transistors to bolt it to the heatsinks. which then sat in the middle of the sled.

These boards remained the same shape,size and circuit for the rest of their lives. However, when Naim switched from hand manufacture to robotic assembly of the pcbs, the hand drawn boards had to be replaced by CAD versions with exact spacing of components. Some prefer the old hand-drawn boards, some the newer.

The transformers did change in the early 90s, but well into the olive production. For the record the olive look vaguely co-incided with CAD boards, but many older amps were factory converted to olive look. The only real difference was the lit logo.

The only way to be sure is to open it up and take a look. And yes, that 10 year service is necessary as the PSU boards get fussy over some aging capacitors.

Mark

I bought a secondhand CB250 with a Holden & Fisher transformer, the caps are Kendeils, which I beleive were changed 12-18 months prior to my buying. Anything could have been put in some of the older kit if not done by an authorised repair agent.

The 135's that I use are Olive but of the newer transformers. Quite a diffrence in performance but the CB250 is no slouch.

Hi
So what is a good price to pay for a 28 year old CB that has been serviced by a non naim technician?

Hi
So what is a good price to pay for a 28 year old CB that has been serviced by a non naim technician?

I'm not sure now but it can depend on who the technician is and what they fit.
What to bear in mind is if it hasn't a service history from a reputable technician, is that anything could have been thrown in the mix and you would have to know what you are looking at if you have any concerns or reservations.

Opinions needed-

Get a new (ex demo /S Hand) Nap 250.2 or get a CB or Olive NAP 250 and give it the Avondale NCC200 stage two upgrade treatment?

The thing with getting none standard mods is that you will never realise the value of them on resale. You are more likely to devalue the item in some cases. Not sure if this applies to the Avondale mod as it is known by many to be a worthwhile upgrade.

If you are prepared to go down the Avondale route then why pay extra for something you know to have been serviced by Naim and "original"? Better to buy one that may be unserviced or have non-standard caps etc as these will all be removed by Avondale when they do their work. You would be very unlucky to get one so modified that Les couldn't put it back to where it should be, and even if you did there are alternatives up to and including a conpletely new PCB.

Mudlark is correct about the offer to change the facias.I remember getting unnecessarily shirty with someone at Naim when I was too late to get my 101 converted from CB to Olive.

advertisement

Back