advertisement

Diane Abbott

There is a thing, people understand on a subliminal level and that is; the whole political system is ****ed. It comes out as 'they are all the same' or 'deep state' or some other nonsense. But it speaks to an understanding that the political system no longer serves its purpose.
This is why the political class, columnists, commentators can't understand Trump/ Brexit/ Reform/ Galloway or any other mad outfit's traction.
People are sick of it. The only way to create something new is to destroy the old, people understand this in an instinctive way.
Now this is finally crystallising in my mind I'm thinking the same.
There's the irony. Government that is; strong, effective, disinterested, adequately resourced, genuinely accountable and subject oversight by an independent judiciary is a bulwark against the threats posed by; predatory, neo-liberal nihilism. Yet people are convinced that the "deep state" is their enemy.

There's the irony. Government that is; strong, effective, disinterested, adequately resourced, genuinely accountable and subject oversight by an independent judiciary is a bulwark against the threats posed by; predatory, neo-liberal nihilism. Yet people are convinced that the "deep state" is their enemy.
I’m not sure they are, but they might look at the continuities across four and a half decades of governance by different parties and think, Well: maybe there’s something else behind the curtain that we don’t get to vote in or out. Would they be wrong? Do your comments on whether or not the Treasury will tolerate the elected Chancellor suggest that they’re wrong?

I’m not sure they are, but they might look at the continuities across four and a half decades of governance by different parties and think, Well: maybe there’s something else behind the curtain that we don’t get to vote in or out. Would they be wrong? Do your comments on whether or not the Treasury will tolerate the elected Chancellor suggest that they’re wrong?
The power and overweening arrogance of the Treasury is not going to be challenged by weakness and decay across Whitehall and the rest of the public sector. I'm not necessarily saying that the chancellor should be more than a good economist that the role's demands so much is something we should seek to change.

Ashworth and his wife Oldknow were involved in the coup and attacking Abbott. Seems just the right sort to appear on a Kuenssberg program. Kuenssberg appeared to challenge him yet didn't ask the difficult questions like how is the process independent?

The power and overweening arrogance of the Treasury is not going to be challenged by weakness and decay across Whitehall and the rest of the public sector. I'm not necessarily saying that the chancellor should be more than a good economist that the role's demands so much is something we should seek to change.
All I'm saying here is that British political life, and indeed daily life, is shaped in large degree by institutions that are opaque, fairly immutable and extremely well-insulated from democracy. Given that the people who are paid to explain this to the public in rational terms - political journalists - will instead giggle and post tinfoil hat memes whenever the issue is raised, it's a miracle that more people don't believe in fantastical stories about the Deep State.

There's the irony. Government that is; strong, effective, disinterested, adequately resourced, genuinely accountable and subject oversight by an independent judiciary is a bulwark against the threats posed by; predatory, neo-liberal nihilism.
Strong government has been the key driver for predatory neoliberalism, not a bulwark against it.
Yet people are convinced that the "deep state" is their enemy.
The only people who incite the concepts of the “deep state” are people like Truss and Trump. Yes they have their followers in QAnon etc, but not sure that the deep state conspiracy theory has common currency in anything that could be called the people. At least not in the UK.

Yet.

All I'm saying here is that British political life, and indeed daily life, is shaped in large degree by institutions that are opaque, fairly immutable and extremely well-insulated from democracy. Given that the people who are paid to explain this to the public in rational terms - political journalists - will instead giggle and post tinfoil hat memes whenever the issue is raised, it's a miracle that more people don't believe in fantastical stories about the Deep State.
This is the crux. Like stereotypes, conspiracy theories have to contain a kernel of truth in order to function. The ruling class do conspire, but it’s not through the Bilderberg Group, The Elders of Zion, the Freemasons (well, maybe a little) or the Illuminati, it’s the Bank of England, the CBI, the G8, the EU Commission and other unelected bodies.

Of course Parliament has a limited executive and legislative authority, but the real levers of power reside in remote and unelected bodies. Although I shed no tears, witness how the Bank of England and other bodies effectively removed a British Prime Minister in a matter of weeks when she overstepped the mark.

This is the crux. Like stereotypes, conspiracy theories have to contain a kernel of truth in order to function. The ruling class do conspire, but it’s not through the Bilderberg Group, The Elders of Zion, the Freemasons (well, maybe a little) or the Illuminati, it’s the Bank of England, the CBI, the G8, the EU Commission and other unelected bodies.

Of course Parliament has a limited executive and legislative authority, but the real levers of power reside in remote and unelected bodies. Although I shed no tears, witness how the Bank of England and other bodies effectively removed a British Prime Minister in a matter of weeks when she overstepped the mark.
Precisely.

It was Blair who undermined Parliament giving more power to the PM and the Executive and, indirectly, the City.
Yes. And it was Thatcher who gave unfettered power directly to the city in the Big Bang which ended well.

As ever, the Labour right following in the footsteps of their ideological bedfellows.

The late 40s to the mid 60s were an aberration. I fear life is slowly returning to "Nasty brutish and short."
Yes. Also worth noting that democracy itself had only taken root a decade or so before that.

Neoliberalism is the mechanism that seeks to undo the advantages and gains of democracy and return to the golden age of laisse faire

One thing that occurred to me with this is the level of community respect and support shown for Diane Abbott. Very few MPs could ever achieve this reaction and I suspect no one currently in the Tory party. Corbyn did it, vast swathes of people freely turning out to hear him speak, I guess in a very ugly Trump/fascist way Farage can do it too. The Tories have to bus activists into even small venues, and then arrange them in a way the room looks full from the position the media are allowed to stand. The room is kept secure so real people/protesters can’t get in. The difference between government by consent and authoritarianism, between representing the electorate and representing elite wealth and corruption. Nothing like the solidarity Abbott saw could ever occur naturally in that party.

One thing that occurred to me with this is the level of community respect and support shown for Diane Abbott. Very few MPs could ever achieve this reaction and I suspect no one currently in the Tory party. Corbyn did it, vast swathes of people freely turning out to hear him speak, I guess in a very ugly Trump/fascist way Farage can do it too. The Tories have to bus activists into even small venues, and then arrange them in a way the room looks full from the position the media are allowed to stand. The room is kept secure so real people/protesters can’t get in. The difference between government by consent and authoritarianism, between representing the electorate and representing elite wealth and corruption. Nothing like the solidarity Abbott saw could ever occur naturally in that party.
One thing to note is that neither Abbott nor Corbyn are especially amazing politicians, as is often pointed out. The idea that people are crying out for Great Statesmen or amazing orators or incredibly competent professionals is just balls, put about by a media-politics class overwhelmingly drawn from the professional and managerial classes. You don't need any special talents to govern. Abbott and Corbyn generate support because they represent people's interests and are themselves quite ordinary people.

It is the fundamental difference between representing the wider electorate and representing the interests of a handful of billionaire oligarchs and global corporations at black tie/brown envelope events. Folk need to take a very long and hard look at what the Tories have turned our politics into. Any system where individuals can pay £millions to a political party has to be seen as fundamentally corrupt and unfit for purpose. Such rotten systems should be removed by any means necessary IMHO.

The late 40s to the mid 60s were an aberration. I fear life is slowly returning to "Nasty brutish and short."
That was the period that corresponded to the post-war boom, characterised by an unprecedented global economic expansion where people’s living standards (at least in the west) grew in real terms year upon year. It enabled my working class parents, born into unimaginable poverty, to eventually own their own home, own a car, colour tv, and take foreign package holidays to the Spanish Costas.

A health service that treated illness regardless of ability to pay. Comprehensive and higher education enabled, for the very first time, working class kids to attend university, where a whole new world was opened to them beyond the factories and the coal mines where their dads had worked. For the first time in history, many working class people could rise above a hand to mouth existence. Disposable income gave birth to the teenager; The Beatles and The Kinks, Joe Osborne, Ken Loach and Tony Richardson.

Its easy for us baby boomers to gain the impression that capitalism was a stable system that created wealth and aspiration, when in fact, outside of that thirty year window, it has been predicated on violent economic convulsions occasioning war, genocide and environmental destruction. We need to do something about it- and quickly.

Problem is that terms like "deep state" are only a newer example of a SOP where processes, etc, that someone doesn't like has a 'bad' label pasted onto it. Ye olde "Commie", "Trot", etc, etc, with a new hat. The point is to deter people from looking beyond the label for fear of being 'infected'. "Nothing good to see here. Move along!"

But "Stop the War" in particular achieved very little. The idea that there was going to be a war against Iran was a fantasy, mostly believed by the anti-war protesters: look at the population of Iran and see why. Bush and Blair thought Iraq was winnable (they knew a lot about Iraq's military capability, as they all had the receipts for most of it); absolutely nobody thought the same about Iran.
“Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and finishing off with Iran.” Seems it was a little bit more than simply a fantasy believed by anti-war protestors. You can argue that this was just the crazed dream of some Dr. Strangelove in the Pentagon, but it was more likely having their asses kicked in Afghanistan and Iraq that halted this particular strategy. Although of course, the US would go on to intervene in Syria, Libya and Somalia in any case.

advertisement

Back