advertisement

Devialet D200

owl

pfm Member
How well will a Devialet D200 drive a pair of Shahinian Obelisk MkI? I'm convinced by the functionality and size, which will blend into my living room well. The alternative would be a chord hugo with a beefy power amp (i.e. pass labs, Plinius or Accuphase).

Some advice would be well appreciated.

Hello owl,

I just had a look at the Devialet list of SAM (speaker active matching) speakers and Shahinian isn't one of the brands that is SAM-ready.

Of course, this doesn't mean that the 200 cannot drive your speakers; it only means that you'll have to switch the SAM off if you match those speakers with the 200. In my experience, this is not a bad thing because over on the Dev chat forum, there are many users who either do not use SAM at all or run it at very low levels - in my case, my 400s' SAM operates at only 5% for my Tannoy Kensingtons.

In my view the only real downside of not using SAM is that the speakers are not protected from accidental overload but this rarely happens in normal use.

Long story short, a best guess would be that the 200 will work OK with the Shahinians, provided you don't mind it operating without SAM. You might want to pose the same question over on the Devialet chat forum as there may be someone there who uses the speakers in question.

Hope this helps.

I originally had a D200 which I then upgraded via the companion to a D400. I use PMC 20.26's, the D200 struggled a bit with them (got very hot, but never to the point of cutout) as I had to drive them quite hard (I have a large listening room, 12mx7m with high ceilings).

Dealers told me this was very unusual and in normal conditions the D200 can handle most speakers.

Can you arrange to borrow the amp and test it?

SAM is a nice bonus, but the Devialet does a great job even with non-SAM options.

And, the most important thing - it continues to sound amazing!

Hi

I have a Devialet D250 and used to have Mk1 obelisks (currently have mk2).

The D250 has the same boards as the D200 but a different case which allows better heatsinking so more power.

I moved from a Dynavector HX75(early 75 wpc version) and the Devialet was a big leap forward. I used to experience a shouty quality as the volume rose which I thought was due to the room but the Devialet completely removed this. On paper the Devialet's are not brilliant with very low impedance loads (sub 2 ohm) and the obelisks do go low at high frequencies but in practice it doesn't seem to be a problem, maybe if you listen very loud but if so your options are very limited anyway (expensive or very difficult to get hold of).

It is a shame that no Shahinian owners have managed to get their speakers measured for SAM but that may happen in the future and certainly isn't a reason not to get a devialet.

cheers

Chris

Unless you want rediculous levels , have terribly inneficient speakers and have a huge room to fill , the 200 will do admirably
If you arent going to use SAM .. you might as well go for a 2nd hand D premier at 250w and probably 1/2 the price of a new 200 .. I dont like SAM
(you can upgrade the D prem for 3500 euro or so to a 250 if you want)

How well will a Devialet D200 drive a pair of Shahinian Obelisk MkI? I'm convinced by the functionality and size, which will blend into my living room well. The alternative would be a chord hugo with a beefy power amp (i.e. pass labs, Plinius or Accuphase).

Some advice would be well appreciated.

Actually, you have *lots* of class D alternatives.

I'm powering my Mark I Obelisks with amps based on hypex nc400 modules. These are small and convenient (1/2 width cases, prob 1-2kg per case), and give me plenty of oomph, and cope fine with the low impedance of the speakers at high frequencies (caused by the multiple tweeters). I'd go as far as saying I can't fault them.

Cesare

As far a SAM trace for a Shahinian , just attend a SAM lab evening they can be done FOC
i sell Shahinian and DEvialet they work fine together , just dont activate SAM on the configuration and you will be fine
Cheers
john

I bought a D-Premier 5 years ago and have used Devialets since. I bought a second, for dual mono, then had them updated to 800 spec, which was a waste of money for my use.
I use mine with 2 pairs of speakers, neither of which has, or ever will have SAM. SAM is, anyway, off by default. SAM has its biggest benefit on small speakers IME (I have given it a go with KEF LS50s)

It is the most transparent amp I have heard. This is not a plus point with everybody :)
My Goldmunds are efficient but a tough load, a valve SET can't drve them at all, but the Devialet was fine.

The form factor and remote having a rotary volume control are huge bonuses for me.

It is true hypex class-D are excellent (I believe their designer considers the Devialet ADH overkill and the class-A analogue stage controlling the quality up to full power to be needless) but I don't know of any implementations of it with the functions and form factor of a Devialet.

Rodney's suggestion of a used D-Premier is worth a look IMO too. With the D-Premier you gain an HDMI input, which I missed on the updated units, but it does not have USB or Ethernet inputs.

Actually, you have *lots* of class D alternatives.

I'm powering my Mark I Obelisks with amps based on hypex nc400 modules. These are small and convenient (1/2 width cases, prob 1-2kg per case), and give me plenty of oomph, and cope fine with the low impedance of the speakers at high frequencies (caused by the multiple tweeters). I'd go as far as saying I can't fault them.

Cesare

There are lots of class A and class A/B alternatives too but no other ADH and only Roksan Oxygene kit with a similar form factor to that which the OP liked.

Thanks All

I spoke with John yesterday. Providing I secure the Obelisks this weekend, I think I have found my solution.

I forgot to ask, what speaker cables would you all recommend? I would need 2.5m length, is it best to go for spade or banana plugs? Don't mind spending a bit so no upgrade needed in the future.

Nooooo - don't turn this into a cable thread!!!!

:)

I think you'd need banana plugs both ends with D200 to Obs. Buy something well made, and with no weird cable specs/inline gubbins.

I went completely OTT and bought Atlas Hyper - because they're very nicely made. About £250 for 2.5m pair. Could have spent £200 less I'm sure.

I forgot to ask, what speaker cables would you all recommend? I would need 2.5m length, is it best to go for spade or banana plugs? Don't mind spending a bit so no upgrade needed in the future.

I use Avondale Black Link as its neat and flexible. It also allows me to keep the speakers against the wall when not in use and just pull 'em out for a listen. The exact position, toe in yadda yadda don't apply to Obs. With the Ob 1 you can use bananas or spades at the speaker end but for the Ob 2 (yup I've had both) spades would be preferable.

One thing that really concerns me about the Devialet is current delivery and the Obs need a lot to get good bass. I know that Devialet say 'compatible' with any 1 to 8 Ohm speaker but thats not the same as driving them correctly. Nowhere have I found out what the peak current delivery is. Pictures of inside the case show rather small reservoir and smoothing capacitors as you'd expect in such a small case and that leads me into thinking that these amps won't have the balls to get good bass out of the Obs.

I can see the attraction and it would please SWMBO as I could get rid of 2 off 42Kg amps, phono stage and DAC but....... I was tempted by the 400 though and then reality stepped in.

Perhaps the OP could get a try'n'buy option to see for himself if the combo works. Try Bach organ pieces at realistic volume. You should get good solid and deep bass some of which you feel through the building rather than hear. Also some good tight bass guitar. The notes should stop and start and sound real. If there is any wooliness or blurring of the notes then its the amp.

The amps I have can provide a peak current of 150A into 1 Ohm and that equates to 22.5KW! Where on Earth does that power come from when the mains fuse is 6A and the power xformers are 1.2KVA? From the reservoir capacitors. I don't need 150A just like I didn't need a 6L V12 Jag but boy that engine just did not see any hill going up nor down and my amps see the Obs as an easy load.

Cheers,

DV

I use Avondale Black Link as its neat and flexible. It also allows me to keep the speakers against the wall when not in use and just pull 'em out for a listen. The exact position, toe in yadda yadda don't apply to Obs. With the Ob 1 you can use bananas or spades at the speaker end but for the Ob 2 (yup I've had both) spades would be preferable.

One thing that really concerns me about the Devialet is current delivery and the Obs need a lot to get good bass. I know that Devialet say 'compatible' with any 1 to 8 Ohm speaker but thats not the same as driving them correctly. Nowhere have I found out what the peak current delivery is. Pictures of inside the case show rather small reservoir and smoothing capacitors as you'd expect in such a small case and that leads me into thinking that these amps won't have the balls to get good bass out of the Obs.

I can see the attraction and it would please SWMBO as I could get rid of 2 off 42Kg amps, phono stage and DAC but....... I was tempted by the 400 though and then reality stepped in.

Perhaps the OP could get a try'n'buy option to see for himself if the combo works. Try Bach organ pieces at realistic volume. You should get good solid and deep bass some of which you feel through the building rather than hear. Also some good tight bass guitar. The notes should stop and start and sound real. If there is any wooliness or blurring of the notes then its the amp.

The amps I have can provide a peak current of 150A into 1 Ohm and that equates to 22.5KW! Where on Earth does that power come from when the mains fuse is 6A and the power xformers are 1.2KVA? From the reservoir capacitors. I don't need 150A just like I didn't need a 6L V12 Jag but boy that engine just did not see any hill going up nor down and my amps see the Obs as an easy load.

Cheers,

DV

The laws of physics haven't been repealed.

Big transformers and reservoir caps may well give some macho satisfaction in a conventional power supply but there are high tech ways of getting the job done nowadays and the Devialet is one of them.

My Devialets replaced 2 conventional mono amps weighing 75kg each, which was mainly power supply transformers and reservoirs.
The Devialets were the first amps I have heard to match these monsters in every way, and at a tiny fraction of the price.

Shahinian recommend 200 watts max for the Obelisk, they are 6 ohm impedance and 89dB sensitivity. The Devialet 200 looks a perfect match, as John at Midland Audio Exchange who has obviously heard the combination, attests.

The Devialet is very slim so banana plugs are much better than spades at the amp end.

Hi Owl, as others before me have advised, best to use banana plugs for the Devialet end, otherwise you might it difficult to close the rear flap.

I use Chord Signature cables but I've also enjoyed the Devs with Naim NAC A5 which are a much cheaper option.

I've used Chord Epic Twin with great results, Naim worked well too. Van Damme also worked well and is very cheap to try out.

How are people getting on with SAM ?
I have it found that in a small room the SAM just doesn't work well at all when paired with Kef LS50
I much prefer the sound without any SAM implementation

I had a home demo of the Devialet D - Premier a few years ago and purely for SQ I consider it to be the most over hyped audio product of all time. Fine if you want it for its size & other facilities but for SQ IMO it is a waste of money.

advertisement

Back