advertisement

Desert Island Disks

Gilligan probably was smarter than any of us in what to bring as he brought a transistor radio he could carry around in his pocket and either play it aloud or with headphones.
It's obvious that you don't live in the UK - the drivel we get on the radio would send me round the bend!

Originally posted by prowla
It's obvious that you don't live in the UK - the drivel we get on the radio would send me round the bend!

Ah, but as far as I remember Giligan only listened in black & white.

Best;

Mark

ABC - Lexicon of Love

Kula Shaker - K

A third is impossible as there are too msany I love, if really pushed then a Northern Soul compilation.

today´s choice:

Turin Brakes - The Optimist LP
Ramones - Rocket to Russia
Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup (going to see them tomorrow
at the Arena in Hamburg)

Originally posted by Ron The Mon
3 Forever Changes by Love. The new version recorded last year with orchestra. I just listened to it earlier today and it is superb!! Arthur Lee envisioned the arrangement in his head over and over while he was in prison for several years. So I figured it'd be good played over and over on a desert island.

Hmm - yeah - great gig and I was there - bummer about the excessive heat in the Royal Festival Hall though. Blinding set however, and you can hear my raucous gob at the end of the set - he he he hmm ;)

His set at Glastonbury (same formula) was almost as good - though he should have done Stephanie Knows Who at the end rather than 7 and 7 is...

Kind of Blue, Ah Um and Love Supreme.
All mentioned above.

I picked up a mono Mingus - Dark Saint and the Sinner Lady (only had the CD up to now) - and this might just replace the Coltrane - oh, in a year or so...

Tony - can we have a "dating section" - I think I want to seduce Joel, we seem 'musically compatible"

:D

I picked up a mono Mingus - Dark Saint and the Sinner Lady (only had the CD up to now) - and this might just replace the Coltrane - oh, in a year or so...

Nice – I’m envious. Which pressing did you find – US Impulse with heavy gatefold sleeve or the UK one on HMV? I’d kill for a mint original US stereo copy, mine is the 80s DMM Impulse which does actually sound excellent.

Tony - can we have a "dating section" - I think I want to seduce Joel, we seem 'musically compatible"

Joel does indeed appear to have rather decent taste! I intend to pick his brains on Japanese traditional music sometime soon….

Tony.

This has proven to be very difficult, but here goes:

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions : Rattlesnakes

Prefab Sprout : Steve McQueen

Aimee Mann : I'm With Stupid

Anyone out there approving of my choices??

It's the UK one - a lucky find in Lancaster Market whilst being entertained at Chez Duerden. The US one would be far to lucky!

There was a Davis / Porgy and Bess that looked like a UK original, but at £18 decided it was a bit much - although if it had been a favourite Miles I might have gone for it.

I got a Speakers Corner reissue of Mingus, Mingus..(etc) recently - good pressing. I might get a similar of DSATSL to compare the Mono with Stereo. The mix/balance seems very different from the stereo CD.

Uber-flat mono jazz and nerdy 180g re-issues. I'm just confused!

Jonathan

Yes, kevinl, I strongly approve of 'I'm with Stupid' by Aimme Mann. I reckon it's her best album.

Today, I'd vote for:

Gene Clark 'No Other'
Laura Nyro 'New York Tendaberry'
Husker Du 'Zen Arcade'

Herbert/kevinl

I've got "Lost In Space" by Aimee Mann. Guess I'll have to check out "I'm With Stupid".

Paul

I'd have to agree with anything by Aimee Mann, or 'til tuesday for that matter. Everythings Different Now is a fantastic pop record.

Chris

So difficult to answer this question. I'm sure that in a couple of days i'll totally disagree with these choices but here goes....

1/ The Icicle Works - 'The Small Price Of A Bicycle'
2/ Frank Zappa - 'Bongo Fury'
3/ Yes - 'Fragile'

I have left out compilations as this is cheating IMHO....:D

This week's version:

Manu Chao, Clandestino
Ojos de Brujo, Bari (Spanish Flamenco Punk; brilliant)
Bardo Pond, Dilate (Velvet Undergound meets Portishead; the singer is so-so, but otherwise the album's brilliant)

Markus

advertisement

Back