Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

der klang der offenbarung des göttlichen

Discussion in 'classical' started by adamdea, Apr 29, 2017.

1. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

Anyone heard this or seen it live? It came in audio with My B&W society of sound sub. Looks like it can be found on Spotify. Composer is former Sigur Ros member and it is billed as on opera although seems to be a choral piece played live with tableaux but no people on stage. More Late Junction than opera on 3.

https://kjartansveinsson.com/

Wish I could find libretto- seems it comes from Icelandic poetry.
    Anyway on first listening I thought it sounded marvellous.

2. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Great website :rolleyes:
    Absolutely no information about the music, performers or recording never mind a libretto, and nothing comes with download either, just flac files.

3. adamdea

i might send a message to society of sound. They have a sort of pdf leaflet but it's has no info. Can't see why you wouldn't include the text.
    Have you listened to it though?

4. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Its nice. Needs a bit more contrast for a 38 minute piece. Gorecki without the grimness, Part without the tinitinnabulation, and predictably quite close to the string/choral bits in past Sigur Ros albums. I'm sure it will be great background music for nature documentaries.

I'd probably find it a lot more interesting if I knew what it was about. I have emailed the website asking for info.

5. adamdea

All we know is that the text is derived in some way from World Light by Laxness. Anyone read it? All I can glean is that is long and about a poet (and beauty) and contains supernatural/ fairytale elements.
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14264.World_Light

But what is the ******** point of an "opera" with no action setting some text, without the text?

That said I've listened to it again and like it even more in a John Adams Harmonium sort of way.

6. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

I have it 2x10" vinyl......very nice though I rarely play it now.

7. adamdea

Did the vinyl come with the text?

8. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

9. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

Vinyl comes as 2x10" with heavy sleeve...What text do you mean?

10. Errol

Errol pfm Member