advertisement

Dentistry in Scotland

Richard Lines

pfm Member
Good afternoon all,

Had my first 'elective' 6 month visit to my NHS dentist. I say elective, as under the new NHS system, I would only get a check-up every 12 - 24 months as I understand it. I am in the fortunate position of being able to afford something over and above the NHS basic standard.

There were no major issues but the dentist recommended a treatment to deal with the plaque build up. Given this was a 'private' treatment I was a little surprised to be given a date in October!

My question is - 'What the hell is going on with dentistry north of the border (or possibly nationwide)?

Regards

Richard

Blimey! That’s a stretch. I don’t have to wait more than a week (two maximum) for a (private) dental appointment here in London.

I was advised by my private dentist in Edinburgh that a once a year check up is adequate.
Have you not seen coverage of NHS dentistry in the news? This isn’t Moldova btw, it’s Bristol

wFRU0BH.jpeg

Ah guess the lesson tae be learned is.... stick to NHS dentists ! Longest wait for me is ...7 days for a follow-up appt. , in the past 5/6 years. 6 monthly check-ups . In Dundee, 5 mins from home tae surgery. :cool:

I had a tooth extracted last month and I’ve a checkup due in October my wife goes to the same dental clinic she’s just had a check up and her next appointment is next year ie a year away.

The clinic is a Bupa clinic but we’re both NHS patients I paid £70 for the extraction and that included a clean up, the dentist quoted me £250 privately or £50 if I wanted which is the NHS charge for a tooth extraction I was supposed to go to the dental hospital but the appointment was postponed so my own dentist extracted the tooth.

Incidentally I had a tooth extracted at the same clinic last year and wasn’t charged anything but I think that was classed as an emergency so no NHS charge.

We’re in Glasgow btw.

Have you not seen coverage of NHS dentistry in the news?
Yes I have. When I had my last '6 month routine' check I was advised about the new system and elected to still have 6 month 'look sees' which is what I had today.

A hygienist would have been pretty much immediately available 6 months ago........

I also noted that the 'free' wi-fi was no longer available in the waiting room......... my iPhone was struggling with a 3G signal!!

Need to check exactly what I'm entitled to via my employer.

I then went on for my pneumococcal vaccine at the Huntly hospital and there is another NHS location struggling to continue to offer services. The nurse who gave me my injection advised that a fair number of people just didn't turn up for their appointments - it would be interesting to find out why.

Regards

Richard

My daughter has just been given her initial checkup at her new NHS dentist ( her old one went Private only).

February 2025 !

Last edited:
I have managed to retain my registration with an NHS dentist through four house moves in the past three years across three NHS areas, and I value it immensely. I’m also hugely lucky in that my employer covers about £300 worth of treatment per annum through Medicash. So basically I get 4 checkups, scales, cleans polishes etc per year without noticing a bill for it.

This is little more than what the basic NHS dentistry offer used to be. Now I feel entitled and privileged, just by being able to access that which used to be pretty much free at the point of access.

I had to sign up to a ‘plan.’ £19 a month for two check-ups and two hygienist appointments per year- anything over and above that is at private rates less 15%.

It was that or nothing.

No NHS dentists in Fife apparently. My Fife NHS dentist recently adopted a private 'painless' service, At 75 years old I feel that the service he offers is frankly over the top. I will wait till I am in pain before contacting him.

advertisement

Back