advertisement

Deja Vu 50th Anniversary Set - Mixed Opinion of Vinyl

RBrinsdon

pfm Member
Received the LP+4 CD box and while the "new" CD content is interesting and the CD album mix better than the previous standard CD issue, the vinyl album ON BOTH SIDES opens with a strange but obvious bass noise that sounds like an amplified heartbeat and is in time at about 33rpm just like a light scratch. It starts immediately in the run-in deadwax and has my lower drivers almost jumping out of their enclosures - their movement and the mystery sound in quieter passages is noticeable but does diminish after about 30 seconds on each track. The rest of the album is well mixed and also an improvement over my 50 year old copy!

Given the heady times the original was recorded, it may well be trickery on Crosby's part but I have never heard it on this album before. I have heard a similar tone or drone, again at an even 33rpm on a few albums, most recently on the title track of a reissued "Return to Forever" by Chick Corea.

No problems with other vinyl played since so I am sure my LP12 / Ittok is functioning as it should.

Any ideas?

Just playing my copy of the 50th anniversary LP and I can't hear what you are describing. Turned the sound right up. It's possible your copy has a pressing fault?

Warped vinyl? If the arm/cartridge mass/compliance figure is well off from ideal it can cause huge cone excursion on warps, same with footfall on suspended decks like the LP12.

Thanks for suggestions, pressing is not 100% flat but I would not have looked at it and thought "warped" immediately. I think it is from a poor batch and will scour the various forums to see if many others have had issues.

advertisement

Back