advertisement

Dedicated mains spur

Rob400 that's basically what I will be doing but with 10mm conductor 3 core armoured so glad to hear it makes a significant difference. Thanks for that

... a 3ft length of 12mm copper pipe which we bury in the ground outside. ... quality earthing....

What is the impedance to earth of that part of the circuit? Ten ohms? Thirty? More? What is the impedance of the mains earth provided by the electricity supply?

I guess it depends on what sort of connection you have - I'm on a TT supply, so the only connection to earth is the spike just outside the house (plus connections to the water supply pipes etc). If you're on a PME, then the supply network provides the earth connection (low resistance - though don't know how low the impedance is to high frequencies) and it's all very different and there are serious safety issues that need to be understood.

I understand that most properties are on PME, I'm out in the sticks though and as a result am considering all sorts of options to improve the earth impedance in my set-up.

Cheers. Bill

What is the impedance to earth of that part of the circuit? Ten ohms? Thirty? More? What is the impedance of the mains earth provided by the electricity supply?

No idea Michael. My Electrician carries out all my AC work. I just feel that the sonic benefits to my hifi are worth the work/expense....

SY is suitably rated and is fine for connection to mains. - That's what it's made for.. I've not tried split-concentric cables i'm afraid. The copper strands in SY are much finer than solid or stranded T&E cables. SY is deemed a 'flexible cable' and is therefore constructed as such. I've tried many cables (as have my customers) and SY always comes out on top sound-wise...
Hope this helps.

Well had my Radial circuit installed on Wednesday using the SWA cable with 10mm conductors all run through it's own dedicated RCD with a 60 amp fuse to benefit the cables 10mm conductor size all fitted directly after my meter, everything is now hardwired with no switchable sockets and while there is an improvement to detail, soundstage but mainly vocals (warmer and not as harsh) pound for pound the improvements are certainly not as significant as when I started to run my equipment through an Airlink CBS2000 conditioning balanced power supply which was a similar outlay moneywise but yes for the few hundred pounds it has cost, for me it is still a worthwhile upgrade, I suppose that's another itch scratched.

Give those new cables and sockets a few more days to burn in before making a final judgement axis....

MichaelJ lots I think. Rob400 agree it's only been a couple of days and it usually takes that for the amp to really warm up

Great.

As Rob says there is better to come.

I was a little disappointed by the sound when we moved into our newly refurbed house.
Hifi had been in use all the time.
Couple of weeks later and I had either been fed placebos without my knowledge or the sound was better all round

Great.

As Rob says there is better to come.

I was a little disappointed by the sound when we moved into our newly refurbed house.
Hifi had been in use all the time.
Couple of weeks later and I had either been fed placebos without my knowledge or the sound was better all round

A friend of mine rewired a flat he was in, replaced all cable with the chunkiest he could. (not sure which size he used) but he also replaced all earth cable as well with a larger gauge. New Consumer unit as well (best quality he could get)

His mains was quite noisy so there was always going to be an improvement. But it certainly wont do any harm. I would have thought the real gain would be to get the hifi onto its own ring main, without any other kit on it like refrigerators. Then I think you could score a goal. But again depends on how good your mains is to start with. I aint no sparkie but makes sense to me :)

I would have thought the real gain would be to get the hifi onto its own RING main, without any other kit on it like refrigerators.

Don't go for a ring, a dedicated circuit with bigger gauge cable is better IME.

Don't go for a ring, a dedicated circuit with bigger gauge cable is better IME.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. A dedicated connection will always be better than a series of connections joined together.

As i say, i am not a sparkie, but got pretty good electrical skills and that makes complete sense to me.

But again, i think any gains are not a definate, and will depend how clean your supply is to start with.

As a test, and if it is feasible, you could get someone qualified to run a dedicated feed from the consumer unit with the heaviest cable it will take and see if there is any benefit.

It is an awful lot of work and expence to find our it has made no difference at all!

You could also try one of the many mains conditioners available, ive never tried them, so cant vouch for how good they are.

Cjm I owned a Nordost Thor for a while and let me tell you it sucked all the life out of the music. Big disappointment. I agree that how clean your existing mains is will have a bearing on the level of improvement that a dedicated supply will make but the earthing arrangement I use is a highly recommended upgrade for all IMO.

Good to know Rob

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade

Would there be some degredation over time with tarnishing of the copper pipe??

Might it be worthwhile to replace the pipe every few years?

Probably a bit extreme, just curious :)

Good to know Rob

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade

Would there be some degredation over time with tarnishing of the copper pipe??

Might it be worthwhile to replace the pipe every few years?

Probably a bit extreme, just curious :)

That is beyond my knowledge and experience Cjm. I, like you, believe digging up the garden with any regularity to be a tweek too far :).

Miles happier today, just had an hours undisturbed listening and the difference is really impressive. Soundstage is a lot more open, bass much tighter but the big difference is the detail, it has really improved the tweeter it's as though I have a new set of speakers. I've had plenty of upgrades done on my equipment before and the difference now is like I have just spent £1000 well worth the few hundred pounds outlay.

advertisement

Back