advertisement

Dedicated Mains (again)

Pete the Feet;1418217 [URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/horrortoys/3349835346/" said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/horrortoys/3349835346/[/URL]

Be it on your own head.

:D Very good !

I'm no electrician, but it appears that there are generally two earth bonding systems used in domestic electricity installations. One method safely allows the use of extra earthing applications; the other most certainly doesn't.
PME bonding comes to mind, but I've no idea whether that is okay or not.

I had mine checked over by the sparks and my sunken copper rod is fine, but the dangers of installing these if you have the 'wrong' kind of domestic earthing were made crystal clear to me at the time.

Or installing it to link to the wrong place in the existing system, or - especially , mind-bogglingly - disconnecting the functional incoming mains earth from the hifi radial in the belief that the homebrew one is equivalent protection. Mike Bertill's blunt post is spot-on given the risks here.

Little anecdote from current build project-a community hospital with a fairly large incoming power supply and backup genset etc. It's in south Bristol on clay / lias soils - nice and conductive! The incoming 11KV supply has a specced requirement on Earth resistance of 10 ohms IIRC, for which a large buried copper earth mat was planned. In the end actually achieving 10ohms has required an earth conductor casing 6inches in diameter, drilled down 100metres, with a solid copper rod all the way through and back-filled with a conductive mix. Not cheap!

A couple of rods, even a farm full in most soils, will not come close to whatever comes in to the meter in the UK.

(If there is a sound difference it's for other reasons - I can think of a couple of technical candidates, but it way offtopic)

The chap trolling under the nom de plume of 'ter,' do you know the difference between a typographical error and a vocabulary error?
Question: Just who exactly are you trying to bamboozle or impress??!! Yourself only I guess! Should we now have one of your typical humorless discourses on, maybe: 'Was it the slip of the finger on the keyboard/ a fault of the spell checker/or be that you personally in your mind... incorrectly spelled a word?'
What is undeniably definite : it is you, who forever keeps accusing anyone here, that makes a remark you disagree with - of 'trolling'.:p
Yes we all know the error 'differences' you refer to, but you should personally consider it, a cardinal sin. To think we see such spell flaws , coming from someone attempting to maintain a pedantic figure image: other readers also , must be truly 'shocked' at your lapse of style.:D

With his new electrodes firmly planted in the garden, he tried his new Senheisser headphones :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/horrortoys/3349835346/

Be it on your own head.
It is a real pity most people never go into the area of investigating - what actually goes on, regarding the 'finer' medical details of someone having 'a real encounter with our lethal friend'- electricity. Yet here we see, playing around with 'earthing' : is being portrayed as a D.I.Y 'hobby' adjunct for obtaining perfect Hi Fi. Plus the fact that house electrical circuits have just become that more tricky: if solar electric generation power and its wiring, is added into the equation.

Ter, I have no issue with disagreement. I do however have issue with 'contributors' who for the most part are negative in their outlook, personally hostile in their demeanour, abrasive in their style and hide behind silly usernames for obvious reasons.

With time to spare I checked your recent postings and they are nearly all rather inflammatory.

I am sure the person behind the postings is ok in real life, most are.

........... Yet here we see, playing around with 'earthing' : is being portrayed as a D.I.Y 'hobby' adjunct for obtaining perfect Hi Fi.

Well, I've re-read the thread, and I'm no nearer to understanding why you've come to that conclusion.

Conversely, and rightly, there are postings advocating extreme caution and research into installing an additional earthing device; mine included.

However, received wisdom has it that properly and safely installed, additional earthing can reduce the impedance and thereby enhance the sonic performance of one's hifi. Surely, nobody's advocating the premise that it's deleterious to s.q. !

Ter, I have no issue with disagreement. I do however have issue with 'contributors' eho for the most part are negative in their outlook, personally hostile their demeanour, abrasive in their style and hide behind silly usernames for obvious reasons.

With time to spare I checked your recent postings and they are nearly all rather inflammatory.

I am sure the person behind the postings is ok in real life, most are.
Should we consider then , that Steven Toy is some silly user-name too for similar "obvious reasons"? And as to my attitude: if you think it appears abrasive, negative, or hostile...you must be a delicate soul indeed. Perhaps it comes as part of that mild British weather, or not being familiar with differing forms of cultural directness. I smile with amusement at the apparent expressed insecurities, the doubts, or inabilities of some, to just settle back and enjoy mainly what HI FI, they have. One observes all that manifest restlessness.... waiting to be forever exploited by manufacturers and dealers pushing their allegedly new - new products that are often 'glossed up pigs with a bit of brand new lipstick' with unconscionable price tags attached. I do not have to check 'back' any of your postings. I am quite perfectly capable of storing trends, shapes of opinions, or others' apparent 'profiles', in my own head.

The last post confirms how cynical and anti-hi-fi industry you really are. It is a small industry and one which is contracting. There is also very little money to be made from it. As for being so scathing of dedicated mains, that is down to the individual and his electrician. It has nothing to do with those whom you consider to be charlatans.

Bitter and twisted.

Things going slightly off-topic, methinks.

The o.p. only wanted advice on installing dedicated mains, I seem to recall.

My electrician a friend and fellow worker (sadly no longer with us!) installed a dedicated supply in my new build house. I left it coiled up and for use at a later date
(skint at the time)
7 years down the line I asked Ted (the electrician/walker brother) to install some external sockets. I went to work, arrived home and Ted said easiest job in years I've found a spare mains cable, life can be cruel for both of us

Should we consider then , that Steven Toy is some silly user-name too for similar "obvious reasons"? And as to my attitude: if you think it appears abrasive, negative, or hostile...you must be a delicate soul indeed. Perhaps it comes as part of that mild British weather, or not being familiar with differing forms of cultural directness. I smile with amusement at the apparent expressed insecurities, the doubts, or inabilities of some, to just settle back and enjoy mainly what HI FI, they have. One observes all that manifest restlessness.... waiting to be forever exploited by manufacturers and dealers pushing their allegedly new - new products that are often 'glossed up pigs with a bit of brand new lipstick' with unconscionable price tags attached. I do not have to check 'back' any of your postings. I am quite perfectly capable of storing trends, shapes of opinions, or others' apparent 'profiles', in my own head.

What's the deal here...why all the drama? Why be part of this forum if you hate the hobby, the industry or the folks here? Your posts really do nothing other than disrupt conversations.

Earth wire comes out to the centre rod from the CU and then radially to the other four, each of which are approximately 7 feet from the centre rod. The rods are 5 feet long.

I hate moles.

So is the eerth wire on the incoming cable also connected, so that the rod arrangement is in parallel to the grid earth?

I quite like moles personally:)
Cheers,
Mort

What's the deal here...why all the drama? Why be part of this forum if you hate the hobby, the industry or the folks here? Your posts really do nothing other than disrupt conversations.

With the best will in the world, DAVE, I didn't find his posts a deTERrent.:)

Far too difficult to plough through those long outpourings of prose bereft of legible order, I'm afraid. Pity, really.

Mort, the sparate earth is bonded to the main earth yes.

I was reading ter's views on suicide looking through his posts. I see a self opinionated person devoid of compassion for and understanting of his fellow human beings. I hope I am wrong on that one. This is a bit of ad hom but it comes in response to same. I am in essence only attacking words on a page because we don't know who or what ter is. As for my username, I can blame my parents for my first name and my mother for my surname.

advertisement

Back