advertisement

Dedicated Mains (again)

My personal experience with a dedicated ground rod (actually two, spaced 2m apart) was an 80% reduction in the impedance to ground as compared to earthing into the consumer unit.

Why not go the whole hog and put your mains cabling inside a continuous metal conduit screen all the way back to earth?

ive been looking at this dedicated mains for some time, ive got floorboards
and my house was built in 1963 the cable coming in from the street is armoured i think about 18mm ish cable outside diameter, now i have
1. turntable
2. amp
3. phono stage

Would i have to take three seperate cables from my seperate consumer unit
to power each source and how thick must the wire be and should it be
screened.

dont **** about with earth rods in your garden unless you know what you're doing and have the appropriate test gear. espically if your incoming earth is tn-c-s. Incoming earth has a lower resistance.

for this post im mike the sparky. eca member.

Steven,
Is each rod connected to the earth wire of the individual cable runs? (i.e. 1x rod per cable)? How far apart are the rods and how deep? I've not heard of this arrangement before.
Cheers,
Mort

Earth wire comes out to the centre rod from the CU and then radially to the other four, each of which are approximately 7 feet from the centre rod. The rods are 5 feet long.

I hate moles.

Definitely better with the earth rods despite Michael's incomplete and unsubstantiated theory saying otherwise.

If your dwelling is correctly earthed for the supply of electricity: ****y encouragement and suggestions 'to play around with it' are getting into the plain dangerous stupidity territory for those, not qualified to tangle with it.
The bottom line behind this: I suspect people have spent big money on 'cult' hi fi, swallowed all the spiel about the right 'mandatory' cables etc....felt they were part of some 'pack'..........and finally found they are still not totally satisfied - frankly I think they never will be, a simple case of misplaced projections.
The only 'proper grounding' they may now need, is in their own mind.
' Now no, it cannot be the equipment since they were / are true believers of 'source first' SO it must be the electricity supply and THE QUALITY OF IT???!!!' That great unseen invisible electrical force has to be 'correctly divined and aligned ' like a prospector looking for water. Such practiced exclamations are but the last resort for the dis- enchanted or the constantly easily suggestible 'niggled'.
It is strange that every other electrical appliance they happen to use and never mention , seems not to be of any concern to them. Is it funny - if not broken or faulty -they all seem to be working O.K , doing the job they were meant to, ? Perhaps the food blender , the air -conditioner, the TV,,or the electric cooker might be not working at its expected peak....and needs a bit of looking into ??!! You never know what 'dirty and non earthed critters' lurk in peoples' power supplies. Unfortunately a Hi Fi sound sanitizing deodorant lav block has not been devised as yet.

Definitely better with the earth rods despite Michael's incomplete and unsubstatiated theory saying otherwise.
Even if a theory was ' incomplete' , as you allege: then tell us how it could be unsubstatiated ...the word does not exist? :rolleyes:

The chap trolling under the nom de plume of 'ter,' do you know the difference between a typographical error and a vocabulary error?

:(
Definitely better with the earth rods despite Michael's incomplete and unsubstantiated theory saying otherwise.

Try 'incomprehensible'. That also applies to another enormous acreage of assorted words above, jumbled together, seemingly without let or compositional hindrance.

advertisement

Back