advertisement

Decision paralysis

Neil P

pfm Member
Not sure if lockdown caused this with more time for research/buying/selling...

After ending up with multiple sources/amps to choose between, paranoia about longevity, a general inclination towards indecisiveness, too much info re DSD/i2s... Some new hybrid sacds...

I've been stuck in decision paralysis for months

I just want to forget boxes and listen to music o_O:(:confused:

After ending up with multiple sources/amps to choose between, paranoia about longevity, a general inclination towards indecisiveness, too much info re DSD/i2s... Some new hybrid sacds...

Been there. My solution was to keep all 3 amplifiers I bought to try. Liked them all :). Now they are doing musical chairs in two systems. Win win.

If you're the sort of client that likes to (and can afford to) chop and change equipment I wouldn't worry too much about longevity as the item will probably be changed in the next few weeks/months or a relatively short period of time. Perhaps resale value should be a consideration.

The general inclination towards indecisiveness is perhaps just in your nature?

Another thing to consider, if you have a component or system that let's you forget about chopping and changing and just listen then that's the right system or component for you, IMHO.

Reactions: RoA
My two pennorth on this would be to try and ignore stuff you read and other peoples opinions. After all, they’re just that. I’d then get your favourite music and ignore “Hifi” aspects of reproduction such as imaging, tonal qualities and dynamics (and so on, ad infinitum…) and ask yourself the simple question, “which do I enjoy the most?” If you can’t decide then buy the cheapest option and enjoy your music. Hifi falls under home entertainment and it often doesn’t need over-thinking.

I'm doing a lot of my music listening via a Dali Katch2. I've attached a CD player to it and a Chromecast Audio, and listen to it via bluetooth. The latter two are for Spotify. So, all very sensible, possibly.

Of course, in another thread I'm selling my Dali Rubicon 6 speakers because I'm getting some Tannoys to replace them.

IME it generally comes down to personal 'focus'.
So when I decided I wanted to build a bike I sold off my expensive hifi and used a much cheaper set up, still decent though, Rega RP3/Exact/TTPSU, Meridian 596 DVD player, Rega Brio R and SF Concertos, for 10 years approx I never looked a hifi mag, online review or hifi forum, my focus was all centered around bike building, I bought as many records and listened to as much music as I did previously.
Now I'm finished with building bikes (I have the one I want) and my focus has shifted to 'building' a hifi system, now that's complete, well kind of, I know what I want and I'm just saving for it, my focus is now shifting to green renovations of the house I'm buying, once that's finished I'm sure I'll find another hobby or project, I'm not exactly sure what that will be but I'm sure I'll not be idle and will find something to get my teeth into.

If you're the sort of client that likes to (and can afford to) chop and change equipment I wouldn't worry too much about longevity as the item will probably be changed in the next few weeks/months or a relatively short period of time. Perhaps resale value should be a consideration.

The general inclination towards indecisiveness is perhaps just in your nature?

Another thing to consider, if you have a component or system that let's you forget about chopping and changing and just listen then that's the right system or component for you, IMHO.

I actually hate box swapping! I've had 3 cd players in 20 years, ditto amps, ditto speakers. No other sources. I think a bit of spare cash and more time on YouTube/pfm has led to choice overload.

My two pennorth on this would be to try and ignore stuff you read and other peoples opinions. After all, they’re just that. I’d then get your favourite music and ignore “Hifi” aspects of reproduction such as imaging, tonal qualities and dynamics (and so on, ad infinitum…) and ask yourself the simple question, “which do I enjoy the most?” If you can’t decide then buy the cheapest option and enjoy your music. Hifi falls under home entertainment and it often doesn’t need over-thinking.

+1, with bells on!

I'm doing a lot of my music listening via a Dali Katch2. I've attached a CD player to it and a Chromecast Audio, and listen to it via bluetooth. The latter two are for Spotify. So, all very sensible, possibly.

Of course, in another thread I'm selling my Dali Rubicon 6 speakers because I'm getting some Tannoys to replace them.
What tannoys Peter?

Have you found a combination of source(s), amp and speakers from your collection that seems to work particularly well? If so I would make that the 'main system', and either swap in other bits when you feel like a change/ a spot of equipment dickering, or see if you can assemble a second system from them. (That's kind of my approach, given that I never seem to quite overcome my aversion to the hassle of selling on you know where.)

Actually I've frequently been glad I haven't disposed of things too quickly, as it can take a while to hit on good combinations of components, and/or find the right environment for particular components to shine.

advertisement

Back