advertisement

Decent metadata in your music files - do you care?

Which camp are you in?

• Don't care for it, I point and shoot, no time for exploration

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I'd use it if I knew I could trust it not to screw up my tags

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • What planet are you on!

Votes: 22 47.8%

• Total voters
Anyone use Bliss to automatically correct tags?
I used it years ago when I kept a flac library.
It was a massive help.

I still use it, but I often have to correct it; either to get things to my taste, or because it's wrong.
It's not such a nause now I've got all my CDs ripped; and only have to correct new music being imported.

So for the 30% that may be interested, I've been working on and off on my code and I've processed my entire library through it without issue.

Most recent additions are:
- automatic populating of a RELEASETYPE tag that's sensitive to Classical and Jazz genres which don't fall in line with general classification rules for EP's, Singles etc.
- added uuid v4 tags to make tags database impervious to moving files / renaming directories for future tag updates/edits
- vet, dedupe and merge Genre and Style tags to make the most of genre browsing / playlisting. A quick way of standardising your tags and eliminating genre entries you don't use. By default the tag list vetted against are the genre and style tags used by Allmusic.com

Almost ready for testing evand?
I can be without too much effort. At present the entire shooting match that comprises the tag cleanup / standardisation is one hell of a long python script. I should ideally modularise it and clean out some old code before popping it on github. I’ll see what I can do to have it ready by weekend.

The last piece of the puzzle for me is detecting and correcting misspelled artist names, names with and without diacritics, different text case etc. to be able to resolve them to a single version of the truth and then update all instances of the anomalies so you don’t get two or more instances of the same artist in your lib unless they’re namesakes (which are then differentiated by musicbrainz id). To tackle this I need an issue to be resolved with some external dependencies.

I stream files stored locally in a hard drive, either ripped CDs or downloads.
I tag all my classical music tracks with iTunes manually and use http://imslp.org/ for reference.
Here's an example:

Song
Beethoven: Symphony No.3 In E-flat Major, Op55 - I. Allegro Con Brio
Composer: Work, Catalogue Number (when available) "Name" (when available) - (roman numerals)Movement Number. movement name - tempo

Artist
Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt, Wiener Philharmoniker (or Mstislav Rostropovich (cello), Benjamin Britten (piano))
Maestro, Orchestra; Soloist (instrument)

Album
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 In E-flat Major, Op. 55 "Eroica" [Schmidt-Isserstedt, VPO - 1965]
Composer: Work, Catalogue Number (when available) "Name" (when available) [soloist; Maestro, Orchestra acronym - year recorded]
I add the year of the recording because often the same artist recorded the same piece several times

Album Artist
Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt (or Mstislav Rostropovich (cello))
Soloist (instrument) or Maestro
I choose one artist (the one that interests me most or the most prominent) and add the instrument because sometimes the same artist can be a soloist or a maestro…ex.: Rostropovich.

Composer
Beethoven, Ludwig Van

Grouping
Symphonies
I group according to Symphonies, Opera Suites, Symphonic Poems, "Instrument name" Concertos, Cello Sonatas, Solo Piano, etc.

Genre
Classical
The musical period (Baroque, Romantic, etc.)

Date
The composition year (last date)

Comments
Decca
Label

For all other genres I use iTunes' automatic tagging.

I split my music into 7 different iTunes libraries: Classical, Opera, Sacra, Jazz, Rock, Soundtracks and Traditional.

Some years ago I used SQL inside LMS to get the views I wanted of my own rips, but now I use Roon and Qobuz I just live with the diversity of metadata. Life’s too short. And Roon does support the construct of a composition which gives it a big advantage over LMS for classical music. If I was ever allowed to run the world, the last thing I would allow would be metadata in music files. Very little of it belongs there.
My sentiments as well. I did consider ripping my cd collection once but the thought of the time it would take put me off. I just want to listen to the music, not interrogate the meta data.

My sentiments as well. I did consider ripping my cd collection once but the thought of the time it would take put me off. I just want to listen to the music, not interrogate the meta data.
My cd collection was ripped back when Adam was a boy and spending a few minutes tagging new albums before adding to a collection is no biggie. I get to listen too, choosing what next in ways you cannot without metadata.

If I was streaming I’d be 100% reliant on metadata provided by the streaming service - the very reason Roon implemented a metadata cloud, to enable the things tags would otherwise provide and the streaming services don’t.

My cd collection was ripped back when Adam was a boy and spending a few minutes tagging new albums before adding to a collection is no biggie. I get to listen too, choosing what next in ways you cannot without metadata.

If I was streaming I’d be 100% reliant on metadata provided by the streaming service - the very reason Roon implemented a metadata cloud, to enable the things tags would otherwise provide and the streaming services don’t.
Nice but not for me. I’d rather use the time listening.

Not sure why folk that rely on streaming bother to post in this thread. Rather open one titled ‘I love watching musicians starve’ and give one another a pat on the back as you regale one another about how good it feels.

Not sure why folk that rely on streaming bother to post in this thread. Rather open one titled ‘I love watching musicians starve’ and give one another a pat on the back as you regale one another about how good it feels.
I just buy it on vinyl ..

Well statements like that are just wrong. Artists get a small payment each and every time a track is streamed, so if they are starving it's not our fault.

But mostly we, well I, am enjoying an almost limitless supply of new music and just like to dip into this from time to time to remind ourselves of what we're missing!

Nope, not all 'streaming' is from the net / indeed, the metadata would imply this is purchased music or ripped,& then stored locally, which pays rather more than per track listening.
Your assumption that all streaming is via the likes of Tidal etc is not valid, especially on a thread about metadata.

Nope, not all 'streaming' is from the net / indeed, the metadata would imply this is purchased music or ripped,& then stored locally, which pays rather more than per track listening.
Your assumption that all streaming is via the likes of Tidal etc is not valid, especially on a thread about metadata.
Yeh, I was not referring to ’streaming‘ content off a local server or storage medium. Clearly this thread is aimed at that very audience - in that context I too am streaming.

advertisement

Back