advertisement

Decent folding bike that isn't too expensive

avole

The wise never post on Internet forums
And not Brompton ! Like an idiot I gave mine to a girlfriend whose made in China Brompton clone I'd sold her had broken in half. Thankfully saw the fracture when she was folding it. It which was seconds away from dividing the bike in two at the large folding frame joint.

If I can carry on cycling is debatable at the moment, but, assuming the leg eventually gets it together, I'd like a cheapish folder just to see how I'd go on one of those. Here in France cycling is still all the rage, but not so much of the folding variety, so you can now buy folders for well under 200€. How good these are I have no idea, but here is one example of one brand, moma bikes. No, never heard of them, either :) , but am guessing they are assembled in Spain.

If you click on the bike you'll see a list what bits they use - Shimano TZ-50 6v, 7005 frame etc.

Decathlon sell a folding bike I believe?

As ever with bikes, buy cheap, buy twice.

Personally I would just get a decent 2nd hand non-folding bike & see how you get on before spending proper money.

Dahon are quite nice and come along second hand for very little. None ride like a proper bike but that's not what they are for. Difficult commutes or casual use where you drive the car to a destination and then have a gentle tour, great.

What’s the problem with your leg? I don’t feel safe on a proper men’s bike now as my back and hips make it difficult to get on and off without a bit of pain and the risk of falling over - especially if I have to do it in a hurry. I now have a ladies ‘step through’ so no cross bar to get my leg over, maybe you could use one like that.

Bart, that's exactly my problem at the moment. Getting my leg over the crossbar is one thing, the other is I genuinely feel easier on folding bikes. Yes, I do have a racer and a proper touring bike, but these will go. Also have an old purple Peugeot which may be ok if close to normal agility resumes - tempted to keep it because, as has been mentioned, you are expected to look the cyclist part here, though city bikes are beginning to be accepted as the exceptions. You are allowed to wear decent city clothes on them. By the way, ladies bikes tent to be known as city bikes in France now, mostly because they work better with long raincoats and lots of shopping :)

Steve67, I did trips in Thailand through many of the parks using Brompton only, including one down the east coast from Prachinburi nearly to the Malaysian border, so your "gentle tour" comment doesn''t really apply. I avoid cars at every possible opportunity at home and don't use them overseas.

Woodface, I'm not going to comment on your posts, not worth my time.

avole,

My wife and I each have a Tern folding bike. Not the best but a decent price and no problem after 6 years of ownership, though the one for my wife was subject of a recall a few months after purchase and it was swapped for one the same as mine. I don’t recall the issue but I can dig around for old documentation if you’re interested.

I don’t know anything of the current Tern range but ours were just a couple of hundred quid each at the time, which was canny compared to alternatives as we didn’t know then if we would really do much cycling.

http://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/bikes

Good luck with it.

Bart, that's exactly my problem at the moment. Getting my leg over the crossbar is one thing, the other is I genuinely feel easier on folding bikes. Yes, I do have a racer and a proper touring bike, but these will go. Also have an old purple Peugeot which may be ok if close to normal agility resumes - tempted to keep it because, as has been mentioned, you are expected to look the cyclist part here, though city bikes are beginning to be accepted as the exceptions. You are allowed to wear decent city clothes on them. By the way, ladies bikes tent to be known as city bikes in France now, mostly because they work better with long raincoats and lots of shopping :)

Steve67, I did trips in Thailand through many of the parks using Brompton only, including one down the east coast from Prachinburi nearly to the Malaysian border, so your "gentle tour" comment doesn''t really apply. I avoid cars at every possible opportunity at home and don't use them overseas.

Fine, I have just come through two hip surgeries so felt qualified to comment. You seem to have a clear idea of what you want so go ahead.

What a bike's intended for and what you can make it do are not the same thing, as you have shown. I pedalled a 20 year old mountain bike over Ventoux with touring gear. Was it what it was for? No, but I was prepared to pedal it up there, and it worked. Likewise a friend of mine rode an Indian shopping bike back from Nepal. She and a female friend, travelling as a pair, through places like Afghanistan. Brave or foolhardy, I'm not sure, but they made it.

I had a used (and abused!) Dahon for a bit and really liked it for the money I paid. The small wheel size can take a bit of getting used to but that's obviously the case with all folders.

Apologies, Woodface, my comment was uncalled for, you weren't to know I already have a collection of bikes, 6 to be exact, 7 if I ever get the smashed one back, ranging from basic Peugeot to Time racer. At present I can't get my leg over any of them, although hopefully it will be probably possible with the Peugeot, in a few months anyway.

Psychological too, without question, as I managed to smash both myself and the bike up pretty convincingly, so, I would like to bite the bullet, get a low-slung foldable and start cycling. The bicycle was and will hopefully again be my main form of transport, plus, as mentioned, I usually take one on various trips so a foldable makes sense.

Steve67 you raise a good point. Probably not the right forum to do it, but it would be interesting to start a thread to find out what sort of cyclist members see themselves as - only pleasure, commuting, primary form of transport, fitness etc.

Brian and paulfromcamden, both your suggestions seem good, and Amazon can get one of either to me (they claim) before Xmas. Prices aren't bad, either.

Brian and paulfromcamden, both your suggestions seem good, and Amazon can get one of either to me (they claim) before Xmas. Prices aren't bad, either.
I understand the bloke who set up Tern is the son of the bloke who set up Dahon. I wonder what similarities and differences there between the approach to these folding bikes.

Prices seem to have gone up a tad...

They do have models that have a whiff of the Brompton about them, and some models are indeed expensive. Might need to wait until the January sales here in France, scheduled for the for the 20th*. Both marques look more solid than some ofthe supermarket cheapies ...

* Another victim of COVID-19

Steve67, what is your definition of a proper bike ?
One with fewer design compromises than a folding one. One that, because it doesn't have to fold in the middle, is better to ride.
Yes, I know Brompton bikes work fine, but at a cost. A conventional bike costing the same is vastly better.

I recently saw video of boss of Tern speaking about their latest GSD electric cargo bike. I was impressed by his clear understanding of the bike. He talked about using the bike to take his son to football practice on the back of a GSD and gving his mum a lift on it.

He is clearly enthusiastic about their products and is very involved in their development. I would like to buy one of their HSD cargo bikes in the future.

B’twin !
Bought mine 2nd hand for £100 and it’s brilliant. Its not the lightest fold up bike but rides much better than the aluminium one my girlfriend has. It’s more solid on the road and doesn’t flex as much.
Think they were around £300 new !

Avole, why don’t you just get another Brompton, you know how the keep their value. I missed if you already said above why not.

Usual comments their compromises and all true but as we know they’re the perfect tool in the right circumstances. If it were me I would probably rebuild my confidence on gravel and mtb before road if I faced the same, good luck with it all.

advertisement

Back