advertisement

Decca SXL sound quality

33.3rpm

pfm Member
I just picked up a mint classical record from my local secondhand shop. It is Decca SXL 2006 and I am amazed at how good vinyl can sound. I know the SXL series are well known but the quality of the recording and pressing are at the top and I have listened through a whole side without a pop, click or bump.

I believe that Decca carried on using valves in their top recording studios for years after other studios went over to early transistor stuff.

If only all vinyl was up to this quality. I have lots of records and there are some that I avoid because they are tiring to listen to. This record was a pleasure from the sleeve to the sheen to the sound, if only they were all like this.

Wow! 7 posts and have no idea of the music involved. I've a few SXLs plus reissues and they are of exc. s.q.

apparently the ed3 ones with made in england at the top are the ones that sound best 1960 onwards , original pressing are more noisy . phil.

apparently the ed3 ones with made in england at the top are the ones that sound best 1960 onwards , original pressing are more noisy .

I’ve not noticed that at all, though the earlier the record the more chance there is it has been tracked by something less than ideal. Classical buyers tended to have good kit, certainly far better than pop/rock listeners, but in 1958 the best of it was a spherical SPU, FFSS or M3d tracking at 4g or so, and the rest was a lot worse. By the mid to late 60s light tracking MMs with elliptical tips were in fashion. I suspect this is significant with long classical sides and often a lot of heavy modulation end of side. That said I’ve got a fair few ED1s, SAX etc and they tend to sound really good. I’m not dissing ED3 or even later narrow-bands at all, they are all really good records, I just feel some of the early deep-grooves are amazing. Decca only cheaped-out in the very late-70s or early-80s. Somewhere around that time the pressing plant changed, and they stopped laminating the covers. Not terrible, but nowhere near as nice as the earlier stuff.

advertisement

Back