advertisement

Deaf old man...

Basil

Harbethian
"I was there.
AM radio kicked streaming's ass.
Analog Cassettes and 8 tracks also kicked streaming's ass,
and absolutely rocked compared to streaming.

Streaming sucks. Streaming is the worst audio in history.
If you want it, you got it. It's here to stay.
Your choice.

Copy my songs if you want to. That's free.
Your choice.

All my music, my life's work, is what I am preserving the way I want it to be.

It's already started. My music is being removed from all streaming services. It's not good enough to sell or rent.

Make streaming sound good and I will be back.

Neil Young"

Sad.

The cynical amongst us might fleetingly suspect that may have a just the slightest hint of Pono marketing strategy to it.

Was he on Qobuz (or other CD quality services)?

If so I guess he'll be recalling all the CDs he sold (and refunding, obviously) as they too must suck.

Pathetic.

Quote: "It's already started. My music is being removed from all streaming services. It's not good enough to sell or rent."

Actually, he makes a very valid point there.

I strongly suspect that back when AM was king, most people would have grasped at an alternative with considerable enthusiasm. I do wish people would not cling to the past like it was some halcyon age. The only thing better about then was the way music was distributed and sold made piracy harder. AM gave you the taster. Vinyl and later compact tapes allowed you better fidelity. Tape was sufficiently poor to the masses for copying to be pretty immediately apparent. I can fully understand why he feels the way he does but I also understand why my septuagenarian parents won't touch computers. They don't want to have to learn a whole new way of doing things.

What's wrong with living in the past? Things were far more honest back then. Only those who live in the past seem to do anything for the love of it anymore. Today's people seem motivated purely by profit and deceit seems an accepted part of their lives.

What's wrong with living in the past? Things were far more honest back then. Only those who live in the past seem to do anything for the love of it anymore. Today's people seem motivated purely by profit and deceit seems an accepted part of their lives.
Our innocence and trust back then didn't mean the greed and self aggrandisement wasn't going on. We are just better served by our news and information services now than we ever were back then. And we are not so intimidated by The Establishment.

Things change. Some better, some worse. Streaming in general I like - it means I don't need a huge collection of music, and it means artists get paid more often. That said, quality ain't the best, artists maybe don't get paid enough and it probably encourages pop culture rather than creative and experimental music that only becomes noticeably great by listening to a whole album in sequence, or is a grower and takes a few listens so I'm happy for artist to do what they feel is right for them.

Most young people have no idea who he is, so I doubt he gets played that much and I'm sure sales figures will inform his opinions and choices.

I still think Tidal with a 500 quid DAC would take an awful lot of beating and a hell of a lot of money spent on a TT or DDP just to equal it.

Streaming sounds pants. Agreed.

Not agreed. It's very good. Lossless Spotify is better than most people's CD players. If I could wave a magic wand and start again I'd have the vast majority of my stuff via Spotify, or on disc, and I'd only buy hard copies of special recordings.

Where streaming falls down is it isn't plug n play, unlike a CD player.

advertisement

Back