advertisement

Dead TDA1541 crown in my Naim CD2

midcm1

pfm Member
During some recent mods to my 3rd Naim CD2 when fitting a Flea to the +5V supply (maybe Flea has a fault as measured 5.2v) after switch on crackling can be heard from one channel after 10minutes of running. Bit of research suggests DAC has failed. (no problem with amp, wires etc etc).

Has anyone come across this before ? Have a caused the fault by maybe feeding the supply from an oscillating flea and/or due to the incorrect voltage ?

I replaced the flea with a standard 317 reg measuring 5.01v and got the same problem.

Also if I source replacement DACs from older players is it ok to mount using a socket as I fear doing this several times will destroy the pcb.

Any help comments appreciated.

Also have many people attempted replacing the DAC on any CD player ? Was it successful ? Top tips ?

Dead dac chips are usually dead, not slowly compromised a few minutes after turn on. I'd look at everything else before pulling a near unobtanium chip, just in case.

Afraid it’s normal for the 1541 to fail like this - distortion as it gets warm. You can try freezer spray to confirm, and maybe a heat sink on top of chip will give it a few more months of life. But start searching for a donor. Yes, socket is sensible…but not something I’ve ever done.

If heat is the cause of the chip death, a socket will make it worse. Most of the heat flows out through the pins to the tracks

During some recent mods to my 3rd Naim CD2 when fitting a Flea to the +5V supply (maybe Flea has a fault as measured 5.2v) after switch on crackling can be heard from one channel after 10minutes of running. Bit of research suggests DAC has failed. (no problem with amp, wires etc etc).

Has anyone come across this before ? Have a caused the fault by maybe feeding the supply from an oscillating flea and/or due to the incorrect voltage ?

I replaced the flea with a standard 317 reg measuring 5.01v and got the same problem.

Also if I source replacement DACs from older players is it ok to mount using a socket as I fear doing this several times will destroy the pcb.

Any help comments appreciated.

I had exactly this issue with a CD2 some years ago. Witch Hat replaced the DAC (and fully serviced), good as new afterwards.

I didn't mention I also put additional caps on the DAC regs across the existing 10uf adj filter, maybe got one wrong way round or cap failed. Removed these and crackling has gone away. I can only think the supply voltage changed, after heating up one of the voltages just wandered out of spec causing the DAC to malfunction. Stupidly didn't think to check the supply voltages.

advertisement

Back