advertisement

Dead Ariston TX-510 tuner

dweezil

pfm Member
This was working perfectly but following a prolonged brown out it's now dead.
Any inspired ideas?
I've had a quick look and there's continuity in the primaries and nothing looks burnt inside.
Not worth a lot of gold but a quick fix might give it another 15 years.
It actually performed better than i expected with a strong signal and got us Capital on the roof aerial pointed at Crystal Palace, we're well out of range on the Essex coast.
Thx
D

could just need a fuse? at the plug end or inside the unit. sometimes the transformers are fused inside, in which case you'd need a replacement.

cheers jim

The OP is saying that the primaries are OK, so it's not the transformer UL fuses.
Yes, check the plug fuse and probably a PCB or back panel fuse.
This sort of product has a fairly simple linear power supply, usually 12V for the tuner, maybe 5V for a controller/display and ~36V at low current for the varicaps

I think he wrote that there is "continuity" in the primaries, so not necessarily any juice getting through.

The OP is saying that the primaries are OK, so it's not the transformer UL fuses.
Yes, check the plug fuse and probably a PCB or back panel fuse.
This sort of product has a fairly simple linear power supply, usually 12V for the tuner, maybe 5V for a controller/display and ~36V at low current for the varicaps

Pretty much spot on!
I've checked inside for an internal fuse but nothing.
i thought something should work if one of the secondaries had blown but will have another look in case there's a fuse under the pcb.
Being an optimist plug fuse was the first thing i checked.
Once under the pcb i can check the power supply outputs.
Thanks for the replies

UL rated transformers have a thermal fuse in a primary. It is this that frequently goes open. For a winding to go open, the transformer will LOOK fried.
This is a quartz PLL model, so there will be 5V as well as 12V. Look for linear voltage regulators and check their outputs.
A photo would help.

UL rated transformers have a thermal fuse in a primary. It is this that frequently goes open. For a winding to go open, the transformer will LOOK fried.
This is a quartz PLL model, so there will be 5V as well as 12V. Look for linear voltage regulators and check their outputs.
A photo would help.

Thanks,
checked all the supply voltages and the switch and all seems ok.
Found a replacement on ebay for £20 so the Ariston's off for recycling, bit of a waste but time is cash and it's tax return time!
ATB
D

advertisement

Back