advertisement

DBPoweramp/perfectTUNES on an iMac

happychappy

Happy Member
Hi folks

Its come to that time when I really do need to expand my knowledge of all things digital/computer orientated to enable a better understanding in what I am trying to do and how to do it. As I have divulged in my many recent posts regards to streaming I am struggling with my lack of computer knowledge and wish to address one or two subjects that are really bugging me (see what I did there…😀)

My main gripe at the moment is still missing album art! This has been a pain since I first set out on my computer audio/streaming venture. I have had some great advice from members on here, but it involved downloading files and to be honest it scared the pants off me thinking that I might brick my computer! Anyway the time has come where I have a little more confidence and am prepared to try to advance my knowledge in all things computer/streaming and hopefully to finally cure the missing album art.

The missing album art situation occurs when streaming from Mac to Naim NDX via Naim app for serious listening (I am using Asset UPnp software to enable this), the album art is missing from a huge amount of albums when playing them this way. The album art on my iMac is perfect, I have had to drag some album art across occasionally when ripping new albums, but all looks fine when using Apple Music directly on the Mac

I noticed recently that a lot of my tracks when playing via Mac - NDX were of a lower quality so I have got rid of them all and now my Apple Music on the Mac contains only ALAC files.

My first question is the ALAC Vs FLAC situation, can Apple Music play FLAC files if I rip my files as FLAC instead of ALAC? I am guessing that DBPoweramp software will give me this option? I do not have a problem re-ripping my entire CD collection, I just want matching file types and album art that’s viewable on the Mac - NDX

My second question is that on the DBPoweramp site they have additional software called “perfectTUNES” the blurb states that this is magic pixie dust to enable hi resolution album art and to automatically add missing album art, will this work alongside DBPoweramp to enable the missing album art when using Mac - NDX? Or will re-ripping my files do this? In other words is it worth purchasing this alongside DBPoweram?

My intention is to eventually remove the files from my computer to a dedicated ripper/player such as an Innuos Zen Mini (or similar) when funds allow, but in the meantime I would love to conquer the missing art situation to overcome another hurdle in my digital music journey.

Thanks for any help or suggestions that anyone can offer.

For the art work - basic thing to check for the problem albums is the presence of a .jpg file in the album folder (often but not always called "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg'.

My first question is the ALAC Vs FLAC situation, can Apple Music play FLAC files if I rip my files as FLAC instead of ALAC?
Apple Music* won't play FLAC files. Or at least it didn't, the last time I looked.
My second question is that on the DBPoweramp site they have additional software called “perfectTUNES” the blurb states that this is magic pixie dust to enable hi resolution album art and to automatically add missing album art, will this work alongside DBPoweramp to enable the missing album art when using Mac - NDX?
perfect tunes is a nice tool, it will a) verify your rips against the accurate rip database, and it will flag missing album art, you can go about choosing appropriate Album art, and if you don't like any of it, as a last resort you can scan the CD booklet and put it in the file yourself. (either with dBpoweramp, or if you stay with .alac Apple Music.

My preferred management tool is JRiver, which is a very powerful management and playback software.

*Be careful if you plan to use Apple Music's "Music Match", which makes all of your ripped files available when you are out and about using and listening on a mobile device. It essentially makes a mirror version of your local library in the cloud, and will upload music from your computer when Apple Music doesn't all ready have the track(s) already.

**Do not ever "delete the downloaded" file of any rip that you made yourself. Because Apple music doesn't actually mean "downloaded" when it offers that option, it means your local file version, which if it is a full resolution rip, will be replaced by an .aac copy if you subsequently "redownload" the file.

It's taken me well over a year to get my Rips back, and I'm still not done (1500 CD's, or so).

For the art work - basic thing to check for the problem albums is the presence of a .jpg file in the album folder (often but not always called "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg'.

I have tried to find out where these files are, but to be honest, I really don’t have a clue.

I have looked in ”Finder” then clicked on ”Home” then clicked on ”Music” (which gives me - Audio music Apps / GarageBand / iPod / iTunes / Music options) then clicked on “Music” which opens up - Music Library / Previous Library.

If I click on Music Library it just opens up information on that music library. Opening up Previous libraries opens up four other near identical infirmation windows similar to opening up Music on its own. There is no information on the individual tracks

I am not sur3 if this helps but I originally ripped my CDs to an old MacBook which in turn a friend sent most files to Western Digital NAS Drive - which failed so has been discarded. I purchased this iMac last year and followed the on screen instructions to transfer across all my files - music, photos etc, I am wondering if this may have caused any problems!

At the moment I am totally lost…..

Apple Music* won't play FLAC files. Or at least it didn't, the last time I looked.

Thanks for confirming
perfect tunes is a nice tool, it will a) verify your rips against the accurate rip database, and it will flag missing album art, you can go about choosing appropriate Album art

I take it that would be displayed on the software to select, or would I have to go searching the web for it?
and if you don't like any of it, as a last resort you can scan the CD booklet and put it in the file yourself. (either with dBpoweramp, or if you stay with .alac Apple Music.

”Scan the CD booklet” has me lost?
My preferred management tool is JRiver, which is a very powerful management and playback software.

I would prefer to stick with one brand rather than use another different provide, makes it simpler for my very restricted computer knowledge.
*Be careful if you plan to use Apple Music's "Music Match", which makes all of your ripped files available when you are out and about using and listening on a mobile device. It essentially makes a mirror version of your local library in the cloud, and will upload music from your computer when Apple Music doesn't all ready have the track(s) already.

Theres a good possibility that I have done this already as I seem to have music in multiple places according to finder, how would I know that Music Match is working?
**Do not ever "delete the downloaded" file of any rip that you made yourself. Because Apple music doesn't actually mean "downloaded" when it offers that option, it means your local file version, which if it is a full resolution rip, will be replaced by an .aac copy if you subsequently "redownload" the file.

It's taken me well over a year to get my Rips back, and I'm still not done (1500 CD's, or so).

Again, I think that I have already done this, but can’t be sure.

The reason I think I have already done this is that I found a lot of non ALAC files whilst playing and so got rid of them by clicking on them in Apple Music and then deleting.

I am so sorry at my vagueness and my lack of understanding of all things computer, I really want to get this under my belt, but at the moment it seems a very long way off

Thanks for the replies so far folks.

Edit

I have just gone onto Apple music/track/info/file and this is the "location" of one file in particular :-

Macintosh HD/Users/happychappy/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Earth, Wind & Fire/The Best Of Earth, Wind & Fire, Vol. I/01 Got To Get You Into My Life.m4a

Does this mean that its stored in multiple places?

I take it that would be displayed on the software to select, or would I have to go searching the web for it?
With Perfect tunes, if there's no Art work, then Perfect tunes will bring some choices of Art work, generally favouring bigger files and better resolutions.
”Scan the CD booklet” has me lost?
Do you scan documents ? If you do then you have a scanner, you can then store the scanned image from the booklet that comes with a CD, in a directory of your choice.
Theres a good possibility that I have done this already as I seem to have music in multiple places according to finder, how would I know that Music Match is working?
Just assume that it isn't and that it has screwed you over, if you'll pardon my English. That you have files all over the place is because you don't have the Apple Music parameters set right. To wit:

Open Apple Music, Click on "Music" (top left, next to the 🍎logo), click settings, then look for the files icon, You'll see aplace to entre the file path of your rips, usually the "Music" directory under you user name, you can browse to another location to change directory.

Then you will have two check boxes ☑ , one for "Keep music folder organised" (Essentially a pretty logical file structure based on artist/album/track. and the other with will copy the files to your music file location (can't remember now whether they are in reality moved, or just copied).

I think Apple Music/iTunes tagging is pretty decent, and there are things you can do in there that are hard to do with other software, notably splitting a track which is One song followed by another with considerable silence between the two (hidden tracks). Still, the best overall IMO is dBpoweramp.
Again, I think that I have already done this, but can’t be sure.
As above, screwed over.

As to your last:

Macintosh HD/Users/happychappy/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Earth, Wind & Fire/The Best Of Earth, Wind & Fire, Vol. I/01 Got To Get You Into My Life.m4a
That's the file path to one song, generally iTunes will store the art work in the first song, IIRC.

With Perfect tunes, if there's no Art work, then Perfect tunes will bring some choices of Art work, generally favouring bigger files and better resolutions.

So similar to what I presently do - Rip CD - No Art work - Google artwork - save to desktop - open album info on Apple Music - drag across to addd art and click ok.
Do you scan documents ? If you do then you have a scanner, you can then store the scanned image from the booklet that comes with a CD, in a directory of your choice.

Thanks for the easy explanation! I was thinking it was some kind of deep dark move...lol
That you have files all over the place is because you don't have the Apple Music parameters set right.

Open Apple Music, Click on "Music" (top left, next to the 🍎logo), click settings, then look for the files icon, You'll see aplace to entre the file path of your rips, usually the "Music" directory under you user name,

I have done that and its the same as the example I used above, except it starts with a forward slash:-

Macintosh HD/Users/happychappy/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

you can browse to another location to change directory.

What does this mean and why would I want to browse to another location to change directory?
Then you will have two check boxes ☑ , one for "Keep music folder organised" (Essentially a pretty logical file structure based on artist/album/track. and the other with will copy the files to your music file location (can't remember now whether they are in reality moved, or just copied).

I can see that and they are both ticked, I take it this is correct?
I think Apple Music/iTunes tagging is pretty decent, and there are things you can do in there that are hard to do with other software, notably splitting a track which is One song followed by another with considerable silence between the two (hidden tracks). Still, the best overall IMO is dBpoweramp.

I still intend to purchase DBPoweramp, but yet again I have gone off on another tangent trying to get other gremlins sorted.
That's the file path to one song, generally iTunes will store the art work in the first song, IIRC.

Oh dear, I have managed to change the "Music Media Folder location" to /Macintosh HD/Users/happychappy/Music and can't seem to change it back?

I had found track files and was trying to check if the artwork was stored on the first track and have done something, but I haven't got a clue what?

Starting to think that this maybe a bit beyond my skill set....

you can browse to another location to change directory.

What does this mean and why would I want to browse to another location to change directory?
Maybe, my vocabulary was wrong. your music media folder is/was : Macintosh HD/Users/happychappy/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

Depending on how many CD's you are going to rip, and how big the storage on your iMac is you may need to have the music location on an external drive (or even a NAS, but that's another world of hurt, and maybe you don't want to go there yet ?)

I can see that and they are both ticked, I take it this is correct?
That looks right.
Oh dear, I have managed to change the "Music Media Folder location" to /Macintosh HD/Users/happychappy/Music and can't seem to change it back?
If click on change you can navigate to the previous location as indicated above.
Starting to think that this maybe a bit beyond my skill set....
If you have no IT background, and you are coming to this late in life it can be daunting, don't give up. It's just asking the right questions (of google) and knowing how to read. There's much on Apple's support pages about music libraries and how to change and manage them.

Depending on how many CD's you are going to rip, and how big the storage on your iMac is you may need to have the music location on an external drive (or even a NAS, but that's another world of hurt, and maybe you don't want to go there yet ?)

I had a NAS drive a few years back, it was set up by a friend, but the drive failed and I have yet to replace it, but it is my intention, or maybe an external drive.
If you have no IT background, and you are coming to this late in life it can be daunting, don't give up. It's just asking the right questions (of google) and knowing how to read. There's much on Apple's support pages about music libraries and how to change and manage them.

I am of an age where computers were a distant dream when I was at school so all this digital music malarkey has been a long hard slog, but I won’t give in, at least not until I have completely filled the swear box up….trust me, I am getting close! 😁

Thanks for your help, you and Google are my best friends right now. 👍

Hello @happychappy,

I've learnt quite a bit more about how Apple's Music.app stores album artwork since our last conversation, and, although I don't have a Naim streamer, I'm convinced that the ReEmbedArtwork AppleScript that I sent you the following link to will do the job. This will copy each piece of artwork out of Apple's hidden artwork folder and embed each into the relevant track's metadata within the main music folder, allowing each image to be subsequently sent along to the streamer with the rest of the metadata via Asset UPnP.

https://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=mxreembedartwork

Let us know how it goes.

Craig

Thanks Craig

Whilst I really appreciate all the help and advice you have given me, I am still (as a computer music newbie) really apprehensive about downloading that software, have you actually used it?

Following my chat with Peter Stockwell I have decided to go for DBPoweramp and perfectTUNES to see if that cures my problem, I am already using Asset UPnp software from them so have a little insight into their forum and end products.

Thanks so much, really tempted to use the Dougscripts software, but at the same time I’m still getting my head around the DBP & PT software too.

Last edited:
No worries, happychappy.

Yes, I've used Doug's scripts on a couple of Macs here since, two with iTunes on, and a newly acquired iMac with Music.app. Was a simple thing, no install, no real learning curve, just did the job.

iTunes/Music has 2 downsides: doesn't play FLAC files and doesn't adjust the sample-rate automatically.
But for me it's still the best music library manager and browser for MacOS.

There's an add-on called BitPerfect which improves the sound, changes sample-rate automatically, performs upsampling (w/ SoX) and even provides DSD file playback capabilities. It runs behind iTunes and costs only $10 (available from the Apple Store).
Not sure if it works with the new Apple silicon machines.

So….My current rips are ALAC, if I chose to use an Innuos Zen Mini would I need to re-rip to flac, or will the Innuos Zen Mini work ok with ALAC?

Update

Well I finally went ahead and purchased DBpoweramp & PerfectTUNES and am very pleased to say that almost all of my album art problems are now sorted, still got a way to go playing with and learning the new (to me) software but it’s been a great start.

Thanks so much chaps, your help is so very much appreciated.

advertisement

Back