advertisement

DBL prototypes for sale

If I had the money, time and space, they could ‘maybe’ be an interesting project.

“Two out of three ain’t baaaad”

I think DBLs look fine in a wood finish & are a lot less intrusive than other big speakers. I wouldn’t buy these though, look like they’ve had a hard life.

Unfortunately, you can't get the foams any more. The photo isn't clear enough, but it appears both the bass & midrange speakers are different to the production versions.

If they’re going to be let go for, say, £800, then surely somebody would buy them and restore them for a classic naim set up? I can’t imagine prototype speakers attract a premium like a prototype car might.

I'm not so sure.

The mid range would likely have been the same one as used in IBL's at the time and was made by Mordaunt Short. Later models will have had a different mid driver made by Naim.

Even uglier than the production model and for all we know they might sound terrible. Why would you? Worth the value of the drivers.

"Contact us for price" usually means expensive, probably hoping someone will be attracted by the rarity of a Naim prototype. However, "prototype" is certainly the right description!

Even if they are "cheap" they won't be by the time you've bought the house, amplification, and refurbishment they merit.

advertisement

Back