advertisement

David Byrne - 'American Utopia' album and live show

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
We were lucky enough to see this performance in Nottingham (1st Nov. 2018)

It was outrageously good, and we were transfixed. The wife thought it trumped the Kate Bush 'Before The Dawn,' show. (it didn't)

The show transferred to Broadway, and I think is still playing. The wife (in all seriousness) suggested going to NY,NY to see it again, it was that good.

Spike Lee is going to direct a film adaptation of the stage show.

The live double album is now out, ours arrived last week. Good pressing. David Byrne's voice sounds better than his age indicates.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZLHX1Y3/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I highly recommend the show if you have the opportunity, it is nothing like anything I have seen before.

I would be interested to hear the opinion of anyone who has already seen it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Mates saw it and thought it was unreal. I had considered getting tickets until I watched the show on YT. I love Byrne but I'd have been out of my mind having to watch an hour or so of folks in a box.

I told my artsy mates this and they let me know I was a tit.....they are more than likely correct.

Mates saw it and thought it was unreal. I had considered getting tickets until I watched the show on YT. I love Byrne but I'd have been out of my mind having to watch an hour or so of folks in a box.

I told my artsy mates this and they let me know I was a tit.....they are more than likely correct.

Not sure what you mean by "watch an hour or so of folks in a box". ???

Is a theatre a box?

Stage is literally three chain curtains.....performers are great and the music is fantastic but there's little to occupy my eyes.... I know I'm being fussy but I want a big feck off show with mental lights and stuff if I am paying big bucks....Like Radiohead or Waters etc.

I'd be happier just listening to Byrnes record...or seeing him in a pub.

Stage is literally three chain curtains.....performers are great and the music is fantastic but there's little to occupy my eyes.... I know I'm being fussy but I want a big feck off show with mental lights and stuff if I am paying big bucks....Like Radiohead or Waters etc.

I'd be happier just listening to Byrnes record...or seeing him in a pub.

That is interesting, as I don't think I have ever seen a massive show with spectacular lights and pyrotechnics, although I think I caught Radiohead in a little tent at Reading festival ? early 90's.
Most of the gigs I have been to are smaller affairs I think. Butthole Surfers at Brixton, Mc900ft. Jesus at the Jazz cafe ( London) for example.
It's not like I do not like those huge stadium playing bands, but I have never wanted to go to anything with that many people in attendance.
I get your point about having something to occupy your eyes, in my defence, the David Byrne show never stops moving, and the use of the empty space and those fantastic metal chain curtains (which move and are as much part of the show as the performers ) gives the performance something intimate and very arresting.

I think we would all like to see our favourite performers in a pub, no standing, all seated. With a few lined up and smoking indoors allowed for the occasion.

:cool:

We were lucky enough to see this performance in Nottingham (1st Nov. 2018)

It was outrageously good, and we were transfixed. The wife thought it trumped the Kate Bush 'Before The Dawn,' show. (it didn't)

The show transferred to Broadway, and I think is still playing. The wife (in all seriousness) suggested going to NY,NY to see it again, it was that good.

Spike Lee is going to direct a film adaptation of the stage show.

The live double album is now out, ours arrived last week. Good pressing. David Byrne's voice sounds better than his age indicates.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Utopia-Broadway-Original-Recording/dp/B07ZLHX1Y3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35YXRF1E8E9B3&keywords=american+utopia+on+broadway&qid=1582300397&s=music&sprefix=american+utopia,aps,157&sr=1-1

I highly recommend the show if you have the opportunity, it is nothing like anything I have seen before.

I would be interested to hear the opinion of anyone who has already seen it.

We were having the same conversation.
I saw it at Hammersmith and Brighton, and would very happily see it again.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I do like DB, but this seemed a bit of a reworked grearest hits like package imo.

He did similar with the hits in many guises now, what the public wants I suppose.

Bloss

We were having the same conversation.
I saw it at Hammersmith and Brighton, and would very happily see it again.

Cool beans. It is odd listening to the live album without the visuals, but it still evokes the sheer wonderful joy of the performance. Looking forward to what Spike Lee can do with it.

What did you think to the hanging chains and the way they used the chain curtains in the show? Especially seeing it at two different venues?

Saw this show in Dublin and because I sort of like DB :) I made the trip to New York. Dublin show was in The Point (Now the 3Arena) so circa 4-5K people. Broadway version is a beautiful theatre so really intimate.
Nothing will beat not having seen the RIL tour with Belew but I would hate to see David rehashing an old formula.
Up thread somebody wanted pyrotechnics.This show is a theatrical experience. All the musicians are untethered and there is constant choreography. On Broadway the pace is slower. i.e David talks in-between tracks.
Every tour David has done is different. Search Youtube and you will see what I mean. For me they all worked. All the performers are top notch. Sound quality on the CD is exactly what you get at the venue.

@blossomchris Like most artists he has to integrate the TH stuff. But most of them are great versions and some work better than SMS and earlier shows. He does a lot of the new album and some of his back catalogue.

FYI The Broadway stint is over. He broke the box office record for the Hudson theatre and the show has got really strong reviews. It is returning back to the Hudson in September for another 16week stint. Maybe DB is topping up his pension!
I would be surprised if he doesn't take it to the UK for awhile. The prices for the Hudson are like most things in New York. Eye watering.

Maybe a lot of us are of a certain age and are clouded by old loyalties but I think Mister Byrne is still performing at a really high level 40 odd years on. He is certainly no pipe and slippers man.
The Utopia album is really good but that is true in my view of most of his major output.

Saw this show in Dublin and because I sort of like DB :) I made the trip to New York. Dublin show was in The Point (Now the 3Arena) so circa 4-5K people. Broadway version is a beautiful theatre so really intimate.
Nothing will beat not having seen the RIL tour with Belew but I would hate to see David rehashing an old formula.
Up thread somebody wanted pyrotechnics.This show is a theatrical experience. All the musicians are untethered and there is constant choreography. On Broadway the pace is slower. i.e David talks in-between tracks.
Every tour David has done is different. Search Youtube and you will see what I mean. For me they all worked. All the performers are top notch. Sound quality on the CD is exactly what you get at the venue.

@blossomchris Like most artists he has to integrate the TH stuff. But most of them are great versions and some work better than SMS and earlier shows. He does a lot of the new album and some of his back catalogue.

FYI The Broadway stint is over. He broke the box office record for the Hudson theatre and the show has got really strong reviews. It is returning back to the Hudson in September for another 16week stint. Maybe DB is topping up his pension!
I would be surprised if he doesn't take it to the UK for awhile. The prices for the Hudson are like most things in New York. Eye watering.

Maybe a lot of us are of a certain age and are clouded by old loyalties but I think Mister Byrne is still performing at a really high level 40 odd years on. He is certainly no pipe and slippers man.
The Utopia album is really good but that is true in my view of most of his major output.

He did, see at the start of the tread. 2018 o_O

Ah ok I meant the theatre version. London for a few weeks maybe? But the cost might be prohibitive. I think he has another project on the go to keep him occupied prior to the autumn return to Broadway.

How does it differ from the previous incarnation that toured the U.K. in 2018?

Just ordered the vinyl

There are 2 tracks on my copy that have a bit of obtrusive pressing crackle. I have ordered another copy to see if it has the same issue. The rest of it sounds divine for a live recording, his voice is in the right place.

How does it differ from the previous incarnation that toured the U.K. in 2018?
I think there is a full audience recording on Youtube. He has a narrative and interaction with the audience between some of the songs, this breaks the pace.David is often very wooden or appears that way but his patter was very natural and enjoyable for me anyway. Set list is slightly different, Don't worry about the Government, I know sometimes I can be wrong and Glass, Concrete and Stone. Exactly as you have in the Live double album. Other than that tbh it is exactly the same show. Others have posted above they would prefer to see him or any of their favourite artists in an intimate setting. That is exactly what you get. The sound is incredibly good. The bigger shows in larger venues I think suffer no matter the artist. Can't beat theatres for sound reproduction.

advertisement

Back