advertisement

David Bowie - Blackstar - Vinyl

I have now had 3 vinyl copies. 1st and 3rd had the hard plastic inner sleeve, one concentric pressing ring, underlined text on front sticker. The first copy had whoosing noise on 'lazurus' right channel so I returned it. The 3rd copy is perfect and sounds really great.
I have also had another copy that had soft plastic sleeve, three concentirc pressing rings, non-underlined text on front sticker. This differs to the other 2 copies as it has etched 'MPO** 150736 A' on side 1 and 'MPO* 150736 B' on side 2. The vinyl also looked duller, not shiny. This also had whoosing noise on lazarus and also popping at the end of 'I cant give everything away'. This was also returned. So it seems pot luck.

Out of interest,did you clean the other copies on a RCM?

No I havent access. On the 1st copy, an indent could be seen on the vinyl tracks at the end of last song side 2 and on the 2nd copy pits cut be seen so I dont think cleaning it would have helped as
it was a bad press. The 3rd copy was clean visually and also played clean.

Having trawled through the various threads on SHM forum, it sounds like the issue may have been temporary and related to the use of PVC sleeves by MPO for a while. My latest copy is MPO (so French) and has all the signifiers of the French pressing but has the hard plastic inner and it sounds absolutely fine Others have reported this too. Relax.

Having trawled through the various threads on SHM forum, it sounds like the issue may have been temporary and related to the use of PVC sleeves by MPO for a while. My latest copy is MPO (so French) and has all the signifiers of the French pressing but has the hard plastic inner and it sounds absolutely fine Others have reported this too. Relax.[/QUOTE

My 2nd (non MPO) copy had the hard plastic sleeve and had a similar issue to the MPO copy that had the soft plastic sleeve, so it not as black and white as we would like.

I think this is his strongest record. The lyrics are for once not in character. That's what I like about funerals all the bullshit, for once, just stops for a bit.

Temporary, remove the record, open the gatefold and direct it towards a source of light. The paper backing on the reverse of the star lets light bleed through.

Just cracked my copy open tonight, having looked at it for nearly a year now and having got used to the album on Spotify at work on a bluetooth speaker.

So it is the first time I have actually sat at home and listened to it on my turntable and with speakers a decent distance apart.

I think it has the best sound engineering of all his albums.

I see it was mixed by the same guy that mixed Beck's Morning Phase. Also a great recording.

advertisement

Back