advertisement

Dash Cam - best one?

Cloned plates are a real problem. However, I do think the Police ANPR system is developing so that it can now identify where cars should be and where they shouldn't. The offenders don't know when the Police have put a marker on the registration.
Somehow some of the criminals stay just far enough ahead. Those we see getting caught are a tiny percentage of those who get away with it each and every day.
Organisations such as the Clerkenwell Syndicate have existed for many years without fear of being caught, so what real hope do we have of catching anything but relative small fry?

I worked on an ANPR project, I can't say much but the recognition is surprisingly difficult but not impossible to improve the accuracy, for a price. Which may tell you something.

I would have thought this was a fairly easy thing to identify and target. Warning letters should be issued to the registered vehicle address for all ANPR hits where vehicles don't have Insurance, VED or a valid MOT. Like the TV License Warning letters, they should warn the registered keeper that the vehicle now has a Police marker against it and will be pursued by the next Police car that sees it out on the public roads. I'm surprised the Tories haven't already subcontracted this to Capita.
It’s probably down to manpower but if people are not insured they are probably hiding their identity etc. I see it as a massive problem which never seems to get talked about. One of the many reasons why the rest of us pay exorbitant insurance premiums.

There was a 70 odd year old who was pulled over for the first time last year, never had a license or insurance, been driving around for 50 odd years.

I'm seriously considering getting a dashcam. Standards of driving are appalling these days. A huge percentage of drivers have a 'point and shoot' approach which is quite literally to aim for where they want to be irrespective of road markings or incidentals like other road users. It's even endemic in retail parks etc.

So not much point having a dash cam either?

my recent experience with the police at least was positive, they were very happy to take the video footage in a case where an intoxicated driver trashed my daughter’s car. When they successfully prosecuted him the insurer took notice. It’s a convoluted route for the innocent but it’s a start.

I must be a rarity on British roads.

Parked my car up on the unpopular top floor of the Grand Arcade car park, Cambridge, end of December.
Returned a couple of hours later to find that an SUV driver had reversed out of their slot (reverse in, FFS!!!) and into the front nearside corner of the Passat. They also left contact details under a front wiper blade, AND didn’t change their mind later on.
I suppose the car park CCTV may have recorded it all if it was working and clear enough to make out the reg, but I feel I must have been hit by one of the few decent people in Britain.

Parked my car up on the unpopular top floor of the Grand Arcade car park, Cambridge, end of December.
Returned a couple of hours later to find that an SUV driver had reversed out of their slot (reverse in, FFS!!!) and into the front nearside corner of the Passat. They also left contact details under a front wiper blade, AND didn’t change their mind later on.
I suppose the car park CCTV may have recorded it all if it was working and clear enough to make out the reg, but I feel I must have been hit by one of the few decent people in Britain.
I did the same thing, touched another car, left a note & paid for the damage. It was very minor & the ‘victim’ was very grateful.

It’s probably down to manpower but if people are not insured they are probably hiding their identity etc. I see it as a massive problem which never seems to get talked about. One of the many reasons why the rest of us pay exorbitant insurance premiums.
We all pay an extra 3% to cover the 3% of drivers who aren't insured. It goes into a central fund to cover the losses of uninsured drivers.

I did that some years ago (reversed into another car, stupid me). I left a note and a couple of days the owner of that car phoned me. There where very little denting on her car and I had to actually persuade her that I should pay!

A dash cam wouldn't have helped me.

Good result. But, no matter how sensible it may seem, you’re not going to win an argument for reversing in. Especially anywhere near a shopping area.

Good result. But, no matter how sensible it may seem, you’re not going to win an argument for reversing in. Especially anywhere near a shopping area.
Oh I do win!

If you’ve parked nose in and are waiting for someone to let you out, that someone won’t be me. Ever. Being lazy doesn’t excuse parking nose in anymore than it excuses people reversing into a main road from their driveways.

We all pay an extra 3% to cover the 3% of drivers who aren't insured. It goes into a central fund to cover the losses of uninsured drivers.
I believe that goes to MIB, the fact remains that if you are hit by a non insured driver your future premiums will almost certainly rise. 3% of a higher premium is not chicken feed.

I believe that goes to MIB, the fact remains that if you are hit by a non insured driver your future premiums will almost certainly rise. 3% of a higher premium is not chicken feed.
If you are hit by any driver your premium will almost certainly rise. That's just the way it works, protected NCD or not.

If you are hit by any driver your premium will almost certainly rise. That's just the way it works, protected NCD or not.
Yep. The discount as a percentage can be retained, but as your risk level has increased, that will be a percentage off a higher premium. They’re not stupid, these insurance companies. Data goes in, premium comes out, they do their best to not lose money.

How do you get your shopping in the boot? 🤣
I carry it, in bags, to the back of the car.

I usually park well away from the rest of the cars/SUVs/off-roaders. This is mainly because, by nature, those who insist on parking as close as they can to the shop entrance are generally also those who take less car when opening car doors. I don’t want to be anywhere near them if I have a choice.

Most supermarket and retail park (shudder) car parks have a few spaces that are slightly larger than most, or have lots of access to the back of the space. Corner spaces, for example. I try to find those.

I’ve seen a loose toddler run into the side of a car reversing out of a space. Scary, but no real harm done. If it had been reversed in, the driver would have only needed to have been looking to their right to have seen the toddler.
Blaming the parent or guardian is all very well, but I doubt anyone here wants a splattered kiddy on their conscience.

Oh I do win!

If you’ve parked nose in and are waiting for someone to let you out, that someone won’t be me. Ever. Being lazy doesn’t excuse parking nose in anymore than it excuses people reversing into a main road from their driveways.
Haha. They probably don’t even realise they’re being punished. My point was about loading the boot, from trolley etc. But you crack on winning at car parks.

advertisement

Back