advertisement

Dash Cam - best one?

Can't say if its the best one, but I use a Blackvue 900X 4K front and rear dashcam which has worked brilliant for the past couple of years, has parking mode and battery protection built in now too.

The previous 900S had some issues with heat build up and memory cards needing formatting repeatedly, but this new one seems perfect.

I think its more about what functions you want, the size of it, performance, cost, as one persons 'best' will be others 'dosent fit my requirements'

I read an article the other day that contained a warning (typical internet click bait and maybe a bit stretched, but...). Apparently a dash cam plugged in is just an accessory. Fine. But if 'wired' in could be regarded as a modification that could invalidate your insurance if not declared.

Nextbase 522 here, tried to look at cheaper alternatives but kept coming back to this, couldn’t justify the 622.

Over time a couple of mates spoke about how they wouldn’t be without one when a pedestrian or cyclist causes a problem and you’re stuffed without being able to prove it was their fault. I got to the point I bought one and fitted it easily, it’s behind the rear view mirror from my perspective so I don’t think about it, until I need to rely on it.

Probably mean less grief from other drivers too once you say don’t worry, we don’t need to argue about this, I’ll just submit footage to the police/insurance and let them decide.

I read an article the other day that contained a warning (typical internet click bait and maybe a bit stretched, but...). Apparently a dash cam plugged in is just an accessory. Fine. But if 'wired' in could be regarded as a modification that could invalidate your insurance if not declared.
"Could be" indeed. If the ins co tried this and it went to court they would be required to demonstrate that this "modification" had a material effect on the claim. Otherwise it's like claiming that wiring in different speakers caused you to crash.

Until you read the comments underneath that link. The trick is to know what you’re buying one for.

Double edged sword, hence I'll never install one. Nobody can honestly claim they've never infringed any traffic law at any time (and don't do so on a regular basis), because very often they're doing so out of ignorance or lack of attention rather than intent. Have cam and it can potentially be used against you. You're effectively putting yourself under continuous surveilance. I'll pass thanks.

NB: It's interesting how often dash cam videos that get uploaded to websites with the intent to prove how crap "other" divers actually show the driver themselves being in error.

Nextbase 522 here, tried to look at cheaper alternatives but kept coming back to this, couldn’t justify the 622.

Over time a couple of mates spoke about how they wouldn’t be without one when a pedestrian or cyclist causes a problem and you’re stuffed without being able to prove it was their fault. I got to the point I bought one and fitted it easily, it’s behind the rear view mirror from my perspective so I don’t think about it, until I need to rely on it.

Probably mean less grief from other drivers too once you say don’t worry, we don’t need to argue about this, I’ll just submit footage to the police/insurance and let them decide.
What "problem" do you imagine a pedestrian or cyclist could cause for a driver?

I found an old one in the garage...managed to extract the memory card and obsessively viewing jorneys made in 2019/20

Darned if I know how it works though so I thought maybe a new one. Plus someone dented my bumper while parked up last week and its going to cost me an excess if I claim. grrrrrrrr

Scenario one. You turn into a road and a cyclist is there on the road, headphones on and messing about with phone. Sets off without looking behind and your safe distance is suddenly anything but. It happened.

school zone with 20mph limit, kid runs across road without looking and hits car, heads are turned because driver has just hit car, was he speeding or driving without due care, is kid injured or worse. Police turn up, immediately show attitude to drive, thankfully a bystander says I saw it all, the boy just ran out, it’s amazing the driver managed to swerve away from the kid to minimise the injuries. The police continue, inspect the car, ask about speed, driver says I was below the limit and the kid hit me not the other way around, would you like to see the footage to prove it.

Chap pulls up and parks several feet behind a wheelchair access vehicle. Vehicle reverses before wanting to open the back door then tries to get hostile with the chap for pulling up behind him. Chap sees the conversation is getting nowhere then says I’m calling the police if you don’t back off and they can decide from viewing the footage.

There are countless stories like these.

What "problem" do you imagine a pedestrian or cyclist could cause for a driver?
I take it you don't drive in London these days? Just Eat, Uber eat etc nutters that totally ignore red lights, cut in front as you are starting off, drive at night with no front or rear lights, drive down one way streets the wrong way.....

My car has one built in. Last year, a guy stopped in the middle of the road, opened his door, through all of his rubbish out, set off and went straight through red lights at a major roundabout near the M25. Nearly crashed. I sent the footage to police who acknowledged the offences and thanked me and confirmed that it was being dealt with.

I stick with brands despite seeing YouTube reviews which suggest that I am over paying.
our small car fleet all use next base with remote rear cameras. I have found the rear camera has a useful deterrent effect.
Our cameras have been quite reliable for many years.

advertisement

Back