advertisement

DAPHILE - SBT & LMS Replacement

In my tests i was using always the same DAC chain, so the anlaogue stage was always the same.

To minimize the impact of the router/network i am using for streaming only one separate small Cisco switch.

How anybody will explain, why different LMS versions on different OS on THE SAME HARDWARE sounds different ?

There is something we don't know yet.

In my work i am doing Unix administration and also teaching informatics&FEM, so i suppose, that my computer/os/lms/sbt/or any player where correct set&configured.

I think now somebody wil say - all this is my imagination, but i know that it is not the case. :)

How anybody will explain, why different LMS versions on different OS on THE SAME HARDWARE sounds different?

There is something we don't know yet.

yes, there is. We still don't know if the differences you hear reflect differences in the actual sound.

I think now somebody wil say - all this is my imagination, but i know that it is not the case. :)

And how do you know that?

I thought the objective / subjective arguments had been stamped out over in the audio room. Let's not have them over here. Lets try and keep to technical discussions as per the spirit of the DIY room. This room is the last vestige of PFM that is still sane and helpful and feels like a community. Please don't F that all up.

Stefan

I thought the objective / subjective arguments had been stamped out over in the audio room. Let's not have them over here. Lets try and keep to technical discussions as per the spirit of the DIY room. This room is the last vestige of PFM that is still sane and helpful and feels like a community. Please don't F that all up.

Indeed. This is the DIY room. Let's focus on that.

I totally agree with Stefan. But this begs the question of how does a discussion of "Daphile" fit in the DIY section. It's not open source, there's no user access to what's going on in "Daphile", it's locked down. It's bit like trying to have a DIY discussion about an amp circuits/components when you can't take the lid off, all rather pointless. Is anyone at PFM likely to try to reverse-engineer "Daphile"? I doubt it.

Building commercial Avondale amplifier also does not fit in diy section, or ?

Daphile is free and more for geeks, than for usual windows/apple user. There is some of diy touch in it.

I started the thread about Daphile in audio section, than the discussiion about everything but Daphile started, than i started thread in diy section and here it is again the same story.

Anyway, i will follow my research for the best possible non commercial streamer, but i don't think i will write anything about it here again, there will be always some people writing that everythings sounds the same.

bye bye :)

(last off-topic comment from me on this thread, bear with me!)

Two wrongs don't make a right even in the audiophile world.

there will be always some people writing that everythings sounds the same.

And there will always be some people who will *know* that one of the two red lines is longer than the other...

Mueller_lyer.svg

Hey Tomek, I think we are more than happy to have stuff like this in the DIY. I found it interesting and agree that geekery like this has an element of do it yourself. It's the constant questioning of other users methodology and which method has the most holes that I find not to be in good spirit. Sure it would be good to get a technical explanation as well but if an OP doesn't have one and is just reporting findings then strips shouldn't be torn off of them as is often the case over in the audio room.

I'm not a moderator so all the detractors on this thread are of course free to ignore me, but please try not to come the the DIY room on a day trip out from the audio room and behave in the same way as is usual over there. Here we are all courteous to each other, respect each others views and sometimes we all learn something new together. Lets keep it like that.

please try not to come the the DIY room on a day trip out from the audio room and behave in the same way as is usual over there.

Indeed. Over in the audio room it seems OK to present whatever subjective preferences as absolute truth. Here I think we need to try to understand the underlying technology and science, and apply it to our projects.

Here we are all courteous to each other, respect each others views and sometimes we all learn something new together. Lets keep it like that.

Sure - does that mean that it is OK for me to claim I do my soldering using pure mental energy, and in the spirit of respect and courteousness you are not allowed to question that? What if I recommend bypassing the mains transformer on your amp, as it obviously limits the sound quality?

Tomek it is not your imagination you just picked the wrong forum to discuss it!
Not being rude go elsewhere you will get a more receptive audience. They may challenge you but none of the stuff here. Being fair it is reasonably bland at the moment (what is directed at you) But that is just for the moment. If you get a bit animated the fangs will come out.

I just joined in as I saw Julf was going to go down the usual route.
Really surprised me if he has access to all these professionals why he hasn't done the tests and populated the results out. He has already set out that in his view he has all the required qualifications.

Julf why don't you publish your test methods and results? Maybe if they are doable people will incorporate them into their own testing?

TBH I think it is just the cyclical argument he enjoys.

Datis the end of this thread. Phile it under lost cause!

I just joined in as I saw Julf was going to go down the usual route.

Tonerei, feel free to attack the factual content of my messages if you want to, but attacking the person rather than the message is not very productive.

Daphile is free and more for geeks, than for usual windows/apple user. There is some of diy touch in it.

Of course building an an amp from a kit is a DIY project. Just as building a racing cycle from hand picked components is a DIY project( but not audio) and if you build the and paint finish the frame yourself and build the wheels from hubs, spokes and rims yourself then that would require a far greater level of skill.

But using Daphile is nothing like this, the tehcnical skills required to use Daphile are minimal. The whole point of Daphile is that is is NOT for geeks. The developer has done everything to make it as simple to use as possible.

I started the thread about Daphile in audio section, than the discussiion about everything but Daphile started, than I started thread in diy section and here it is again the same story.

You complain there has been no discussion of Daphile. But what have you discussed about Daphile yourself tomek? Isn't a fair summary of what you have said - "this is daphile, I have used it and found the SQ to be better than x,y.z on my kit"?

You have not offered a critique of the Daphile UI. Is it good, bad or indifferent? You've not said how well it handles wireless networking which can be a stumbling block for Linux users. You've not said what you think of the CD ripping faclity and the quality of rips and tagging it creates. You have no said if you have confidence in Linux ripping which basically uses the cdparanioa program. Does the cd ripping faclity find your album art in all cases? Would you prefer to use EAC/dbpoweramp or something else? You've not said if setting up network drives in Daphile is straightforward, or whether if finds external drives or usb stick storage without problems. You've not said if you listened to Daphile withl its samba server on or off? You've not said whether it's possilbe to install all the plugins, including 3rd part plugins, in LMS that you would normally use and they function as expected, etc. You've offered no idea about what the "optimizations" in Daphile might be. We know it uses a RT kernel, but what else might be NB in your view?

Please, discuss Daphile.

advertisement

Back