advertisement

Dancing Hawaiian Hula Girl - Which Film?

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
41zcO1FcLcL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

I am now the proud owner of a solar-powered Hawaiian Dancing Hula Girl, much to the disgust of The Wife. It now resides on the dash of my Yeti.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BN5TM9XW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I am sure this type of solar-powered hoodiddy features in a film, maybe a Tarantino? Something like True Romance?

Help me out, The Wife and I have been trying to remember the film for two days now.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
IIRC the Hawaii-based George Clooney film The Descendants had one, but I don't think it was solar powered.

A moving car provides all of the energy required to get the classic Dancing Hula Girl with spring mechanism gyrating.

IIRC the Hawaii-based George Clooney film The Descendants had one, but I don't think it was solar powered.

I don’t think the solar-powered bit is the clincher - But that film is not the film that we are thinking of. Thanks for having a guess.

Dem Yetis are great cars. You can get all sorts in the back. I like the Kia Soul too!

The descendants has one in it, as does space cowboys.

edit ah you’re looking for a solar powered one… humph.

No! doesn’t need to be solar powered…

Deffo NOT the descendants or Space Cowboys.

something far more road-trip assassins type thing

It isn’t an Elvis Presley film, although here is a reference >

“The Hula Girl became a popular decoration for cars in the 1950s after being featured in different movies and TV shows. The most famous appearance of the Hula Girl was probably in the movie “Blue Hawaii,” which starred Elvis Presley.”

https://beatthecarsalesman.com/when-did-the-hula-girl-first-show-up-in-cars/

Adding to the confusion, I can now visualise an Elvis Presley ‘bobble head’ dashboard doll in a different film. Maybe that movie with Kurt Russell as an Elvis impersonator?

The Bruce Willis character in Pulp Fiction has something similar on his "nightstand" in the "going back to collect his dad's watch" scene. I think.

The Bruce Willis character in Pulp Fiction has something similar on his "nightstand" in the "going back to collect his dad's watch" scene. I think.

ooh. The ‘watch’ scene with Christopher Walken is something isn’t it!

That has a whiff of potential about it - such is my lifestyle, I may flick through my DvD of Pulp Fiction to check.

Getting a bit closer to the film that is hiding in my head.

I showed the dashboard dancing hula girl to my Mother, asked her what film and instantly she said, ‘Bruce Willis.’ What a cool Mutha.

Asked the same question of The Daughter - She made an ooooh noise, and said she would get back to me.
I am leaning towards Pulp Fiction or similar so far.

ChatGPT thinks the film was Surrogates

Yes, Bruce Willis starred in a movie that features a dancing hula girl toy. The movie is called "Surrogates" (2009), and it is a science-fiction thriller directed by Jonathan Mostow. In the film, Bruce Willis plays an FBI agent who investigates a series of murders involving the use of surrogates, which are robotic avatars that people use to interact with the world. During his investigation, he encounters a woman who owns a dancing hula girl toy, which becomes a key clue in the case. However, the hula girl toy only has a minor role in the film, and it is not a central focus of the story.

I am now the proud owner of a solar-powered Hawaiian Dancing Hula Girl, much to the disgust of The Wife. It now resides on the dash of my Yeti.
I'm with you on the Yeti, but very much with your wife on the Hula Girl. ;)

There’s one in the non-linear drug film ‘Crash’ which was released a few years after ‘True Romance’.

advertisement

Back