advertisement

Damo Suzuki

Tony L

Administrator
At approximately 10:05pm yesterday evening Damo Suzuki gave me an orange. Here is the orange…

damosuzukiorange.jpg

This life changing event took place in the unlikely location of a Yates wine bar in Wrexham.

Over the past few years Damo has set up the Damo Suzuki Network (see www.damosuzuki.de), this is a network of musicians from across the world who will back him in totally improvised performances. This to my mind is an absurdly good idea – it basically means that Damo can play pretty much anywhere in the world with whatever members of the Network are local to the venue. Last night it was the turn of a band called Manchuko who would appear to be local to Wrexham.

Manchuko started by playing a set of their own stuff, it came across as pretty competent but somewhat generic post rock. After they had finished Damo appeared with a big bowl of fruit and went round the audience giving them out and generally being an incredibly friendly and decent guy – a stated aim of the Network is to be a totally ‘rock ego’ free zone, this was very evident throughout the procedings and so refreshing.

After Damo had taken a few very polite Japanese bows the band crashed into the first of three half hour slabs of improvisation. The music really gelled and just worked – it became abundantly clear how powerful this method of composition is, and also shed a lot of light on how Can managed to produce so much incredible music. There were many points in the set where everything just locked into a incredibly clear and coherent groove, seriously good stuff. All totally unrehearsed and as a result totally fresh and exciting. If I ever take a guitar on stage again this is the way I will do it. After the last song had ended Damo went straight into the audience and shook everyone’s hand, he managed to totally break down the traditional barrier between band and audience. A unique and wonderful gig.

He is playing Bristol tonight and Leeds tomorrow with different musicians at each gig (details on his site), I strongly recommend seeing him.

Tony.

Sounds very nice.

Holger Czukay performs here Tomorrow evening, anyone knows what he's up to lately ?

Omer.

Cool. Are you going to preserve it?

I've been given beer and records, and have been videoed by, Faust. I also have a production credit on a restricted release CD box set of unreleased Faust material. So there. :D

-- Ian

Holger Czukay performs here Tomorrow evening, anyone knows what he's up to lately ?

You need to go and then tell us.

Cool. Are you going to preserve it?

I have absolutely no idea how to preserve an orange, unless you mean to make marmalade out of it. How does one preserve an orange?

I've been given beer and records, and have been videoed by, Faust. I also have a production credit on a restricted release CD box set of unreleased Faust material. So there. :D

Very cool – what Faust video are you in? What is the CD box set?

Tony.

I have absolutely no idea how to preserve an orange, unless you mean to make marmalade out of it. How does one preserve an orange?

Search me, but I know Moroccans are very keen on preserved lemons.

Very cool – what did Faust video you doing? What is the CD box set?

Jochen videos everyone and everything with his digital camcorder, for no apparent purpose.

Details of the CD box are here:

http://www.faust-pages.com/records/abzu.html

It's no longer available, however, and the band have no plans to approve its re-release, unfortunately.

-- Ian

So I went yesterday to a solo performance of Holger Czukay. I really didn't know what to expect - I only know Can from listening here and there.

A small venue , alas with sitting places, minimum cover etc, full (~200). Holger turned to be a funny old man, yellow baggy trousers, beach shirt etc. The music was basically a series of playbacks with him playing over it with various intruments like a sampler, (synti ?), a french horn, an old transistor radio, electric guitar, his voice etc.

I expected experimentalist music - and for good or bad, he sounds much more mainstream - the playback was a very good, tight and interesting kind of house/D&B, with the drums/lead having always interesting precise beats, half-beats and inbetween. His playing over was also very funky, but the balance was a bit off, it was too weak compared to the playback, pity as it was very nice and this lost a bit of the "live" effect. [maybe because of that] I also thought the usual 4/4 or whatever beat was too prominent compared to the "floating" interwining beat and bits, which were more humourous and interesting - this made the music a bit too "assured" and planted in the earth to my taste, maybe this also has to do with expectations.

But together it was so tight and groovy at the same time, this was one of the best DJ shows I saw, (didn't reach lightening fast BPMs, but he didn't had to) - it just begged for dancing, but the venue is really no good for that. At the end I talked with him a bit and mentioned that and he said yes this sitting arrangement is problematic.

If you're quick he performs tomorrow in Jerusalem, 20:30 (people there have to go to sleep early, the burden of this holy place is sooooo heavy), and he signs today on records in my local record store (I'm so cool), if someone has special requests let me know.

Omer.

At no point during the evening of Tuesday 9th of March 2004 did Damo Suzuki give me an orange. Luckily I still have the last one…

damosuzukiorange2.jpg

Damo did however play The Magnet in Liverpool along with the Network, once again made up of supporting musicians from many local bands.

I just love this whole Network idea, it really works – the gig on Tuesday sounded just as fresh and unique as the one in Wrexham did last year. Somehow it just doesn’t matter when the improvisation misses in parts, there is always something good about to arrive. This particular gig really nailed it down with the second and by far the longest of the three pieces which was simply amazing – two drummers from Zucanican (sp?) really getting a good groove going along with some great bass lines. If you get the chance to see Damo do so, he is on top form!

Tony.

Hi Tony

I think you've got your pictures mixed up. That one looks like an old plumb :D . Had I thought about it at the time, I'd have suggested sticking cloves into it so as to cover the orange completely. It turns it into a brown knobbly thing that you hang in your wardrobe and everything comes out smelling, yep you guessed it, of cloves and orange.

Mick

Sounds great! This Frucht Rock thing could really catch on:

It would be interesting to hear Ralf and Florian (Kraftwerk) improvising with a local "the other two", using some of those primitive devices that they used to play - complete with the essential basket of pineapples.

advertisement

Back