advertisement

Daily Telegraph has a pop at Peely

I think the writer of that second blog has it down - "...the Daily Telegraph, which is basically The Daily Mail for people who know a few long words".

The Daily Telegraph is at least consistent, it is this wrong on everything else too.

Tony.

although i have heard of peel on numerous occasions, it has always been from one of these forums! consequently, i have no idea what he thought about the music he presented or how appropriate the characterisation in that article was. i do, however, know a couple of people over on this side of the atlantic to whom it applies perfectly well.

this is a telling comment from the second link:
Joseph Conrad may have been a technically brilliant writer, but **** me his books are dull to read

vuk.

thats a brave article , what a tough guy he must be to write it about a dead person , chicken shit comes to mind ...now have i missed out a comma.

although i have heard of peel on numerous occasions, it has always been from one of these forums! consequently, i have no idea what he thought about the music he presented or how appropriate the characterisation in that article was.

John Peel was a genuine music enthusiast who had zero time for the commerciality of either music or radio. He simply played things that interested him / that he though might interest his listeners / that he thought might not get an airing elsewhere. In UK radio this was an unheard of strategy, especially in the 60s and 70s. Everything was about playlists and charts, and all DJs had that creepy false ‘patter’ / fake ‘charm’ etc. Peel just sat down, moaned about the weather, football etc (he had a superbly deadpan sense of humour), described the intense pleasure of last night’s chicken Biryani, and then played some strange / bizarre / wonderful record that you had never heard before, often at the wrong speed.

Anything left-field and interesting would get an airing on his show regardless of genre, i.e. folk, indie, Krautrock, reggae, jazz, skiffle, world, blues etc. You’d never hear chart pop there, nor ‘known bad’ music (e.g. poodle rock / mullet rock etc). The variety was however astonishing, he’d go from banging electonica to some old 78 of Latvian nose-flute music, then to a 14 second death metal track etc etc. The number of bands he helped find an audience is endless, in fact pretty much anything from the UK that is interesting from the late 60s to his death. His show was the key outlet for much of the independent music scene. If one was to wipe out the life of that idiot Telegraph “journalist” no one would notice or care, if Peel had not been what he was thousands of examples of genuinely great music would either never have existed or found it’s place (I am not exaggerating in the slightest here).

IIRC Rich knows of some site with old shows available to download – give it a go.

Tony.

I hate to think what Henderson's 'Teenage Dreams' were. What a snivelling excuse for a human being. I bet he has a crap record collection too.

Henderson's ' ... I bet he has a crap record collection too.

i would probably make such a bet too.

tony.

things are slowly coming back to me and i think jawed said he'd heard one of my obscure house things on a peel show, which is worth 100 points alone. i also have a peel sessions record somewhere. new order? ever since i did the autobiographical classification of my vinyl, i can't find a bloody thing.

vuk.

this is a telling comment from the second link:
Joseph Conrad may have been a technically brilliant writer, but **** me his books are dull to read

A somewhat sweeping generalisation, but Nostromo is the second most boring book I've ever read. The Secret Agent and Heart of Darkness are ace though.

Peel just sat down, moaned about the weather, football etc (he had a superbly deadpan sense of humour), described the intense pleasure of last night’s chicken Biryani, and then played some strange / bizarre / wonderful record that you had never heard before, often at the wrong speed.Tony.

Peelie was a long-standing vegetarian and his favourite Indian was a mushroom Biryani.

Paul

Tony L; IIRC Rich knows of some site with old shows available to download – give it a go. Tony.[/QUOTE said:
this site here is good
http://www.theperfumedgarden.blogspot.com/

Also if there is any interest here I have about 10 C90 tapes of random peel programmes from around 1981 which Id be happy to digitise and circulate. Recommended if you never got the chance to actually hear a programme.
John

ps that pile of crap from henderson reads like highbrow Sun and thats all that can be said about it. Except that the Sun can sometimes be (unwittingly) humorous!

IIRC Rich knows of some site with old shows available to download – give it a go.
Tony.

A few sites here..
http://johnpeeleveryday.blogspot.com/
http://www.jonhorne.co.uk/jptapes/jptapes.html
http://www.jonhorne.co.uk/jptapes/jptapesrewound.html
http://fadesinslowly.blogspot.com/

I appear to have about 10GB of Peel shows....and that's not counting heaps of sessions. Who said digital doesn't have it's uses?!

After all these years I am still finding new music courtesy of JP. I can't even be arsed to be angry at that Telegraph bloke......his argument is so obviously wrong it's like saying that chocolate doesn't taste nice.

Cheers

Rich

Also if there is any interest here I have about 10 C90 tapes of random peel programmes from around 1981 which Id be happy to digitise and circulate. Recommended if you never got the chance to actually hear a programme.
John

Deffo interested! Can do swaps!

Cheers
Rich

One fairly innocuous polemic and you all turn into mirror-image Daily Mail readers!

I think Henderson's right.. about the comma- its bugging me now I've seen it. I can't believe he chose to spend time slagging off a harmless, placid dead guy. What a waste of time (like some of the negative, pointless posts I read on PFM, except 10x as long).

"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, *life* has surface noise."
John Peel.

nuff said...

advertisement

Back