advertisement

Daily Mail: Cancelling auctions on eBay

If it was in the Guardian, you'd all be fawning over it. Some on here are so predictable.

The Guardian is the other side of the coin that has the Daily Mail as the other. You learn to filter out the exageration. By the way Johnson did not write the story, maybe one of his relatives did then?

Exactly. At that point I filed it as yet more Daily Mail xenophobia. The latest in a never-ending ‘EU Gypsy Benefit-Scrounging Trans Boat-People Stole Our Grandchildren’s Future’ type manufactured moral panic one expects from Lord Rothermere’s shit-rag. The Daily Mail was only pro-Germany when Hitler was Chancellor.

£11,000 is worth the effort if the story is true

£11,000 is worth the effort if the story is true

If £11k is paid out there is far more to this than has been reported!

Here is eBay’s order cancellation policy (eBay). It starts and ends here as far as I can tell. Both parties are contractually bound by eBay’s rules. They have both agreed to the eBay terms of service, acceptable use policy etc.

I simply do not believe bailiffs from another nation can turn up at an eBay seller’s door for a cancelled auction for which no money was taken. I’m calling ‘bullshit’ on this one!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If it was in the Guardian, you'd all be fawning over it. Some on here are so predictable.

Thing is though, it wasn't. I accept that the Guardian pretty much tells it's readership what they want to hear, but it is not vile and devisive.

Or anything to the EU

British pensioner, 72, who cancelled sale of vintage tape recorder on eBay after noticing it was damaged is ordered to pay would-be buyer £11,600 as German court rules bid is binding under EU law

A very strange ruling by a German court

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-recorder-eBay-ordered-pay-buyer-11-600.html
If it’s in the DM, its a punishment beating from the prisoncampguards!

The Faily Mail, manufacturing outrage since 1938

Please don’t judge us by your standards. This story has to be bullshit. eBay’s rules are clearly stated, and to the best of my knowledge bailiffs don’t get to cross international boarders over cancelled eBay auctions. Please try applying at least some critical thought processes before nodding along with the very worst of the reactionary gammon tabloids FFS!

The "pensioner" probably realized he wasn't going to make a killing on the tape deck and cancelled the auction. There's more to this than the headline!

The Guardian is the other side of the coin that has the Daily Mail as the other. You learn to filter out the exaggeration. By the way Johnson did not write the story, maybe one of his relatives did then?
No. The Telegraph, not the Mail, is the other side of the coin to the Guardian. I would expect both the Telegraph and Guardian to do fact-check stuff before they print it, but both can occasionally be blinded by confirmation bias. The Mail, on the other hand will print anything if they think it’ll get its readers angry, and truth be damned.

On the sale itself, there’s nothing wrong with what the buyer did: he exercised his legal rights under German law, which favours buyers in auctions. eBay, whose German and UK subsidiaries were both acting as agents in this sale, doesn’t seem to have made any effort to claim jurisdiction should be in the UK, rather than Germany, but then there’s no mention in the story of the seller making such a request either - that would be the first thing I’d try. Actually, the one thing missing from the seller’s account is any engagement with the buyer at all until he got the court notice. By then, the choice of jurisdiction meant he was already screwed: German law has this provision that auctions are binding once a bid is accepted.

The bailiffs most likely arrived on foot of a County Court Judgement (CCJ) against the seller. That judgement would have been applied for by an international debt collection agency acting on behalf of the buyer. There’s very little chance a UK court would refuse to grant a judgement to a collections company acting with the support of a ruling of a German court - Brexit or no Brexit, law is law, and the debt collection agency usually only has to prove that the debt exists.

It’s unfortunate that he has had to pay so much, but the more I look into this, the less sympathy I have for him - I think he’s only singing half the Mass, and that his motives were far from pure. (Incidentally, a quick search of eBay shows that even damaged Studer A80s go for around £4000, so the excuse of not wanting to send a damaged unit doesn’t wash).

Easy enough - I don't make anything higher than ~ £100 value or heavy/fragile available for shipping overseas for the obvious reason it's not worth the risk or hassle.

You are potentially halving your sale prices, maybe more. Everything I sold that made crazy good prices went to Japan, Hong Kong or South Korea. I was mainly selling vinyl, but all the stuff that really flew ended up there without exception. I’d never limit.

As has been discussed this Mail story just doesn’t ring true. It smells of either half-truth or total BS. I guarantee there is way more to it. No one lawyers-up over an eBay bid!

To be fair it does seem the seller completely ignored any attempts to contact him by the bidder.
What would the bidder want to say to the seller? He must have asked all the questions he needed to in order to make a bid. That's it....even if he's Der bitter about the auction being pulled he's going to get nothing more from the seller, surely.

I saw it on the internet, so it must be true.

Are you questioning the journalistic capabilities of the Mail? Surely not!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-47-got-glass-stuck-bum-three-days-drunk.html

"In the UK retrieving objects from the rectum costs the NHS £340,000 a year"

"Let's stop sticking things up our bum and save the NHS £340,000 a year" Now, if Boris had put that on the side of a bus, instead of his EU lies, it would have been much less of a PITA for us all.

These two statements in the article don't make sense......

" Mr Godden, a retired music studio manager, cancelled the auction after noticing the recorder was damaged - eight days before the end of the sale."

"The winning bidder, a man from Germany, insisted however that the device was rightfully his and sent messages demanding to be sent the parcel. "

Either the sale was ended early or there was a winning bidder....can't be both.

Given that one person won a court case and one person lost a court case I think that we are possibly being misinformed by the Press.

This never happenned, if you ever sold stuff on ebay, you will know you have the right to cancel a sale or end an auction early with a legitimate reason. It is only when money changes hands the ebay steps in ...

Presumably German Court records are in the public domain? The results of the case could be checked, I'm sure.

All this talk of eBay's Ts&Cs is completely irrelevant. No Ts&Cs can override national law. Clearly, there would be chaos if that were so.

Yes, Bailiffs certainly can be called in to enforce cross border debts, if the legislation/agreement between the two countries allows for that (this is often the case).

advertisement

Back