advertisement

Dahlquist DQ10

smithy

pfm Member
2010_0627dahlquist0001.jpg
http://[/IMG]
Seeing how my original bass units are "lost"at DK loudspeakers I thought I would lashup an Audax PRO 2040 instead .I thought the Audax units would be far too efficient but it sounds good and I can get the upgraded crossover wiring sorted out in the meantime.

My first high end speakers were DQ10's. As far as I know, Jon Dahlquist was the first designer to take his drivers out of the box and stagger the baffles atop for time coherance. Then came Vandersteen. Drove them with 150w monoblocks and that wasn't enough in my large room at the time but offset that by listening in the nearfield. Very airy and articulate presentation. Very dimensional, also. Cheers.

'As far as I know, Jon Dahlquist was the first designer to take his drivers out of the box' =
Was the nightingale NM1 the first in the UK - I have still got mine albeit closely gripped by a friend and I liked the non boxy peerless midrange and HF as they sat on top of the bass reflex and large lower section. I loved 'em and then went for Briks and now esls with a nice open non boxy sound too

NM1 had no baffles and now we are firming up details perhaps the Nightingales and the Dahlquists are not really in the same camp 'cept to the casual observers

smithy

Mains sockets mounted on shelving looks distinctly risky even if properly isolated from the wood in case of electrical (or other) fire.

Why not use an extension lead to connect up to the nearest wall socket?

What does (what looks like) electrical tape on the baffle do for the sound?

The electrical socket is mounted on the wall ,the shelving unit having a cut out in it not done by myself I might add.The gray bits are the original foam strips on the baffle I am not sure of their exact purpose but I suppose Mr Dahlquist knew what he was doing.

One thing we used to do to DQ-10s over here was to cover the front of the baffle array with a sheet of thin felt or velour, with holes cut out for the drivers of course.

Are your two speakers identical, or are the baffles mirror-imaged? They made them both ways.

I have dismantled the baffles on one speaker so that they will be mirror imaged I presume the earlier manufactured ones were the identical ones.I have been looking to get a pair of the proper original bass units can anybody help ?

The original bass units look exactly the same as the woofers in the original Larger Advent Loudspeaker, but there may be differences, I dunno. Whether or not the magnets or coils are the same, the cone and basket and surround are shared. And both have the " 10" cone in a 12" basket with a masonite spacer " thing.

advertisement

Back