advertisement

DACs with integrated pre amp

innaspeaker

I'm looking for a high quality DAC with built in preamp, connected to a poweramp or two mono amps. Playback from a mac.

I have hunted around online and currently considering the following:

- Audiolab MDAC + power amp(s)
- Teddy DAC / inc volume + Teddy mono blocks
- Weiss 202 + power amp(s)
- Cyrus DAC XP+ +Mono Blocks
- Naim 172xs + 155xs

Which would you recommend out of the above? Which power amps do you recommend? Are there any alternatives? Looking to demo where I can but some are easier than others.

I'm looking for a set up that tells it how it is, with all round versatility for all genres of music.

Auditioned Mdac and Weiss202 into my 250

Weiss was miles ahead especially with amarra -very pure detailed and natural sounding DAC

Was on a DAC/pre quest for a couple of years, tried loads including the DAC202, Zodiac Gold, Lavry DA11, HDR, Cyrus DAC XP+, TDAI, and many many more at dealers or on home loans etc. Finally found what i was looking for with the Resonessence Labs INVICTA DAC. Its £3495 so well priced IMHO, and easily beat all that I've listened too.

Good luck!

http://resonessencelabs.com/

I've done a similar thing to Spacey but at a lower budget, auditioned Wryrd4Sound DAC2, NAD M51, Emotiva DAC, Burston HD160, Audiolab M-DAC and ended up with the Leema Elemants DAC. all of that list will act as a Pre?

Having heard Spacey's Invicta, it is special, but at the end of the data it's all down to budget.

Does anyone actually make a nice all-in-one DAC preamp? I've felt it would be a nice idea for a while if done right, e.g. MM/MC phono stage, say two or three digital inputs, two or three analogue inputs, a tape loop and both balanced and single-ended outs. A digital out would be cool too for digitising vinyl. It would be a useful box.

Hi Innaspeaker,

Easy, the Eximus DP1: 6 Moons Review :)

In addition, we have on demonstration the Exposure 2010s2 DAC, Lynx Hilo ADDA, NAD M51 and hope to have the Benchmark DAC2 HGC when available. We can use an ATC system, including the CDA2 (Pre/CD/DAC), P1 power amplifier and SCM40. Alternatively, the Eximus DP1 with matching S1 power amplifier using the ProAc D18 speakers.

Drop us a PM if you can reach Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

Cheers,
Peter

Naim just released a DAC/pre unit - Naim NAC-N 172 XS. Not heard it, so don't know what it sounds like, but I like the mix of functionality...

Does anyone actually make a nice all-in-one DAC preamp? I've felt it would be a nice idea for a while if done right, e.g. MM/MC phono stage, say two or three digital inputs, two or three analogue inputs, a tape loop and both balanced and single-ended outs. A digital out would be cool too for digitising vinyl. It would be a useful box.

I see what you mean - this is currently what I am looking for too, as I would like to keep my box count low.

The closest thing I found so far is the Bryston BP-16 (or the already announced BP-17), which can be configured with 4 digital inputs and an MM phono stage.

advertisement

Back