advertisement

DACs vs Turntables

I think it is the ritual that is the thing with vinyl. You have the covers, the notes, the process of extraction and placement, the almost limitless tweakability. I think a turntable becomes part of the family more than other formats. It’s harder to let go. I know I don’t play my collection as much nowadays but I find it hard to imagine being without it. But I am thinking seriously about this. I also have a lovely classical cd collection upstairs. It wonder if I’m brave enough?

That's exactly how it is for me (and I'm guessing anyone else into vinyl)
I also like the actual mechanics of the thing, i.e how the turntable actually works and extracts the music from the grooves of a rotating plastic disc!
Then there's the collecting side of it all which you don't get with other formats

Then there's the collecting side of it all which you don't get with other formats

I still collect the silver discs, and enjoy owning a large collection of them. Interestingly the vinyl resurgence seems to have prompted more interesting CD packaging, with many in fold out cardboard jackets, which I particularly like.

There is more though. Vinyl can tell you more about what is being played and how. I don't know why, but it does.
In the cult of Linn you are supposed to feel that way.

And it's very hard to take blind tests at all seriously when they regularly throw up patently absurd results and virtually always a negative one. I'm waiting for the test that proves you can't tell the difference between an LP12 and a block of cheese.
In other words no evidence is going to convince you ever. When deeply held beliefs are tested blind you - instead of accepting the results - judge the validity of the blind tests by your deeply held beliefs. That is circular logic.

That's exactly how it is for me (and I'm guessing anyone else into vinyl)

Not necessarily. I grew up with vinyl, it was the only real option at the time. I loved it when CD reached usable sound quality! Remote control, don't need to flip the disk over and you can chuck the things about without worry. No faffing around with tracking weights, alignment or suspension set up. What has any of that got to do with the music?

Some people recorded music. I want to hear it. That's kinda it for me.

When deeply held beliefs are tested blind you - instead of accepting the results - judge the validity of the blind tests by your deeply held beliefs.

Dogmatism is not the only reason to mistrust blind test results. Have you considered the evidence against them? If not, go and do it somewhere else as that's not what this thread is about. Or don't, if you'd rather not challenge your deeply held beliefs.

And the test showed that digital can encode and reconstruct an analogue signal indistinguishably from the original signal.

"Can" being the important word there.

My vinyl and digital sources are very close to indistinguishable now, but it is certainly cheaper and less trouble to start with digital. And yet, records are just more fun. You have a stake in the performance.

"Can" being the important word there.

My vinyl and digital sources are very close to indistinguishable now, but it is certainly cheaper and less trouble to start with digital. And yet, records are just more fun. You have a stake in the performance.

Without doubt.

Perhaps they are not the right words but there is a difference, sometimes subtle. A bit like when you compare FM to Dab I
conjecture. I am only speaking for myself and my set up.When I play vinyl or FM there is a warmth and fluidity to the sound alongside a vast soundstage, depth and width. It’s a comforting sound. It laps over you. It may be distortion, nostalgia, old technology etc. I don’t know really. I thought ‘organic’ was a pretty good descriptor in the absence of other words. Digital can offer that kind of sound but it’s not quite alike.
I prefer Panasonic TVs to Sony. I feel the Panasonic has the more ‘organic’ picture. Smoother and more rounded. I find the Sony’s more brash, louder. The images look like cut outs sometimes. It’s a style.
I know it’s down to a range of variables. Your speakers, amp etc.
It’s hard to put into words really, but I thought I’d give it a go.

(...)Apart from the snap crackle and pop, who could really tell the difference unsighted?
I am listening to vinyl right now - Dougie Maclean's Caledonia LP.
As you say, apart from the very occasional pop it would be difficult to perceive any major decision-making/deal-breaking difference between my vinyl source and my digital source (both silly-priced for most of us {including me :) }).

Having a closely matched digital & analogue source has to be the ultimate end game.

I convinced myself that vinyl throws a bigger image but I am not sure it does. I get a bigger picture with my current set up, soundstage seems wider & taller but still focused. I think speakers are the biggest contributors to this & I am coming round to the POV that they are the most important factor above a certain level of competence.

Sondek said

You have a stake in the performance.

I like that:)

I manually clean records using 2 Knosti baths. If the Mrs. is out I can do 2 batches of 14 in the day and love the results. Nothing annoys me more than Jo Wiley playing something in her 'vinyl revival' spot with dreadful surface noise, why Jo why?!!!

On the other hand between lockdowns last year a pal with very firm opinions about popular music brought a few CDs round for a listening session, chosen for what he perceived to be high quality mastering etc.

They sounded fantastic on my digital setup, to both of us.

I resolved then that any new full priced disks added to my shelves would be digital and I would stick to carefully chosen s/h vinyl to fill gaps from the past.

Jim

I chased my tail for years trying to reproduce that vinyl warmth from a dac. CD transport was the carrier into
Chord Dac64 and then Benchmark ( a surprising favourite )

Both were excellent pieces of kit but I was finding my hearing fatigued after a couple of hours of listening to CD’s. Loving extended listening sessions, I eventually threw in the towel and bought a turntable.
I’d accepted that the 2 formats were just different and both had pros and cons. But I wasn’t enjoying digital while I just had it as the one source....I can listen to vinyl now for hours without any ear strain.

However, this isn’t a ‘bash-digital’ reply; I enjoy digital much more so, now I have both formats. And although my primary source is vinyl, the ease of digital, the wealth of choice, via streaming, and the subsequent sound quality is astounding and to my ears does now sound much warmer and less fatiguing than it used to? I’m not sure why, is it higher bit-rates, I dunno?

In the past, I would have scored digital sound quality at 70% of that of vinyl and now I’d put it nearer 90%. I’m not sure whether that’s down to streaming primarily, or technological advances but I think my Chromecast into Chord mojo is stunning with Tidal and BBC Sounds and I couldn’t be without digital in my system.

Last thing I will say though, I still find CD a harsh listen compared to streaming....

Both were excellent pieces of kit but I was finding my hearing fatigued after a couple of hours of listening to CD’s. Loving extended listening sessions, I eventually threw in the towel and bought a turntable.

It really is just down to the kit. My CD player is my primary source and I can listen to it all day long. It is not fatiguing at all and is very musically satisfying. Such kit exists.

I will reiterate though that getting a smooth, engaging and satisfying sound out of vinyl is much easier. This is the first CD player I have owned that I'm totally happy with.

advertisement

Back