advertisement

DACs vs Turntables

I'm lucky enough to have a very good vinyl playback system. I love it, far more than my digital front end, but I'm not kidding myself that it's more accurate, it just ain't.

I suppose I qualify for this.

Vinyl front end is Thorens TD550, 12" Ortofon arm and Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black cartridge. Phono is VTl all valve with Rothwell SUT so I suppose about £9k.

Digital is Fiio X3 in to an Audiolab QDac so a few hundred quid.

The vinyl sounds better but happily listen to the Fiio all day.

If I didn't have over 2,000 albums I would be happy with high res downloads.

I also have a Naim DC5x but it doesn't sound much different to the Fiio.

I am now using an MHDT Orchid and it has stopped me from being distracted by the question of whether CD, or streaming can sound as good as a turntable. It just sounds gorgeous. And I guess what I mean by that is that the music is gorgeous. And the DAC allows that beauty to come through.

Did anybody ask, what is the rest of your system? You may then get suggestions from people with similar systems that may help get you narrow down a shortlist for audition.

I currently have six tables with far more cartridges. The analog front ends are very competitive with hires digital...especially with vintage recordings that I have original pressings.

I'd say not bloody likely - that said I was amazed at how well the Metrum Octave performed in comparison to a Lyra Delos/RP10/Parasound JC3 combo.

Just a touch lacking on the top and bottom end but what the Metrum had going for it in the midrange was really fantastic and I still miss it from time to time. Having moved
to a Chord 2qute and then the Schitt Yggdrasil not long after I still feel the Octave has the most analogue sound I've heard from digital.

When I started my "LP12 Modification Frenzy" a few months ago, I thought my relatively modest Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC might hold its own against my vinyl system. I'm stunned at how much better my turntable now sounds in comparison. But the costs aren't equal: my Gungnir cost $1250 USD; my LP12 only started sounding significantly better than the Gungnir once I'd invested about $3000 ($1000 for a used 80s LP12; Cirkus bearing; Nima arm; Adikt cartridge; Mober one-piece subchassis).

Hi,
Ken Kessler (Hifi News) ran an article where there was a CD sold which was recorded digitally, transferred to lacquer, and then recorded back to digital. The CD sounds like vinyl, and to quote his web page on this :
https://www.kenkessler.com/hi-fi/off-the-leash/
"According to the cover sticker, this digital product is ‘BACK TO VINYL … ON CD!’ In its exact words, ‘All the masters for this record were transferred to virgin lacquer acetates and meticulously recorded back to digital. The result is the unique, rich, and distinctly “vinyl” sound of this disc. Enjoy!’ It then adds, ‘Also available on LP’. Which begs the question: why not just buy the LP?"

As others have stated, an LP recorded and played back digitally sounds like an LP.

Regards,
Shadders.

Not in my (limited) experience it doesn't! I've tried recording vinyl to digital and found a very noticeable drop in sound quality and that it sounded like, well... a digital recording of the vinyl.... clicks and pops and tracing distortion and all but obviously a digital version of it. YMMV!

FWIW I would say live recordings I've made to reel to reel tape, half track, 15IPS, are about the most "real" I've heard...

Not in my (limited) experience it doesn't! I've tried recording vinyl to digital and found a very noticeable drop in sound quality and that it sounded like, well... a digital recording of the vinyl.... clicks and pops and tracing distortion and all but obviously a digital version of it. YMMV!

FWIW I would say live recordings I've made to reel to reel tape, half track, 15IPS, are about the most "real" I've heard...
Reel rules! I owned one for many years, but it became difficult to maintain.

Can you please explain what this consists of?

Very similar to mine except that Si's transformer output stage is Swedish whereas mine came from Kazakhstan..
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/327794-output-transformers-dacs.html

Lithium iron phosphate battery supply, with some super capacitors for good measure. Feeding a Raspberry Pi ( 1TB SSD library) > FIFO>Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC>balanced transformer output stage.
From IanCanada.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-...gb-goodies-impressions-tweaks-mods-hints.html

AF1QipN0wljWzC0yI4vDX_ucXRPVmV1pUah37BPuYc-M

The chord64 is very detailed but is the absolute opposite of anything NOS (Audio Note sound) I wanted to punch the thing after about 3 days
That's where this hobby becomes personal preference. I love my DAC64, but 'Lebowski couldn't live with it. There's a huge amount of love for the Rega DAC on here (and other forums) yet I wasn't enamoured at all. You might have to try a few DACs before you find your own sweet spot.

Does anyone here believe that a relatively modest but superb measuring DAC can outperform a top turntable, arm, cartridge and phono stage combination? For the sake of argument let's say the whole vinyl front end cost £8-10,000 or more.

If so, I'd be interested to learn what analogue equipment you own or owned and which modest DAC was good enough to better or equal your expensive analogue gear.

I'd also be interested to learn if you considered yourself to be an objectivist or a subjectivist.

Sure. It depends on the source material. The opposite is true as well.

I am both an objectivist and a subjectivist.

Tim

Did anybody ask, what is the rest of your system?

Sony TTS-8000 or Technics SP10
SME V-12 with Kiseki Purpleheart NOS or Phasemation PP-500
Aurorasound Vida VI6
Yamaha WXC50 with Audiosector NOS Dac
Luxman L590ax
Tannoy Monitor Gold 15" in Lockwood Major cabs with RFC crossovers

My Sonos Amp digitizes its line input from the tape output of my main system. When playing records, I fail to notice any significant difference between the Sonos system and the all analog main system that’s feeding it. I assume the AD converter and digital amp of the Sonos is doing a good enough job of it. My records sound equally good on both systems using similar Tannoy studio monitors.

I would love to have both, but budget and space is an issue.

I find that hard to buy?

A CD player doesn't take up a lot of space. A DAC, even less. If you're talking about the software then yes, vinyl or CD can get out of hand but it doesn't make much difference if it's all one or split between the two. And music on your computer takes up no room at all!

The budget issue I don't buy at all. You can buy used turntables, CD players and DACs of pretty decent quality for little money these days. Sounds like you're making excuses. Sounds like it's more about the lifestyle choices than access to music.

I begrudgingly bought a CD player only because the feckers stopped releasing music on vinyl. Today both formats work for me so I have a much wider choice of music available, and that's all that's ever mattered to me.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed. I now have a decent sized list of interesting dacs to research. Of course further suggestions up to £1000 s/h or new are welcome.

Sony TTS-8000 or Technics SP10
SME V-12 with Kiseki Purpleheart NOS or Phasemation PP-500
Aurorasound Vida VI6
Yamaha WXC50 with Audiosector NOS Dac
Luxman L590ax
Tannoy Monitor Gold 15" in Lockwood Major cabs with RFC crossovers

Something like this?

Hmm, so you have experience of a TDA1543 NOS DAC which I guess also has no specific recovery filter but are not impressed with it versus your record deck, you are looking for something that measures well. You are getting recommendations for more NOS DACs without recovery filters amongst other options. This is only something you can resolve with your heart and your ears but the two are incompatible in my head. That is NOS DACs don't measure anything like as well as oversampling DACs (if I am allowed to generalise!) and ones without recovery filters doubley so, indeed they are arguably broken by design from an objecive point of view, a recovery filter being an essential part of turning descrete time samples back into a analogue waveform. From a subjective point of view such designs can sound very nice and more like your record deck, as my experience of a friends AN system and DAC tells me. I don't see where this is going to be honest! Things you might like to try: other NOS DACs, a Chord DAC for their approach (Mojo is in budget, Qutest a bit outside but not much), a Sabre DAC (say a Topping DX7 Pro or a SMSL M500 all in budget), an AKM DAC (say a Topping D70 or RME ADI-2 both in budget). There are lots of options to try and there seems to be either a consensus all DACs sound the same or that there is a house sound to the DACs, up to you to find out which you think I feel. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

You need to get out and try some modern dacs. That's an utterly hair shirt implementation of an old dac chip that attempts to do it in the least number of parts possible.

advertisement

Back