advertisement

DAC

Andy1912

pfm Member
ive been enjoying very much a month trial of Qobuz sublime. I play through my laptop and an esl u24 xl which is 24/48khz.

I’m thinking I’ll keep qobuz which goes to 24/192, what would be the best usb dac for say £200?

Thanks

Andy

Lots of folks rate the Beresford Caiman & its Dorado battery pack for around £260.

And the Topping DACs (from Amazon, would you believe it) are getting good write ups.

I've recently subscribed to Tidal Hi-Fi and got me an iFi nano iDSD Black Label and couldn't be happier. Does MQA tracks perfectly and it's spot on in your price range.

The Chord Mojo is a fantastic little thing. It works really well as a desktop DAC. It performs like many much more expensive DACs.

I have seen one just below that actually, do you think that would be superior than the Beresford Caimen and Topping D50, or just a matter of taste?
I can’t comnent as never heard a Caimen or the D50 but the Mojo really does punch above its weight.

I use mine as a desktop DAC most days - also has the benefit of portability

I thought I had found a decent not too expensive solution in the schiit modi 3. However, I have read it doesn't do DSD and I think that is the Qobuz output for hi res files which is really the whole point in this little project.

Am I right this isn't a goer or is there a simple solution? Most likely I will be outputting from a laptop usb. I don't have these days ripped cd files so Roon isn't really on my radar though have used it previously, though if there was an interface I could control using my ipad that would be a bonus.

I would probably use the DAC for processing my TV audio via spdif which then comes through my hifi hence the issue with Khadas.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

Just wondering, do you need DSD or even any hi-res support on a £200 DAC? Maybe it's just me, most likely, but the difference between 44.1kHz and all other hi-res formats is small even on a very refined (expensive) system. At this price point I'd personally put the money into a DAC that just sounds great rather than the formats it plays. I've also heard great things about Schiit, so would likely lean that way.

Pulled the trigger on the modi 3, arrives tomorrow. Did fancy the mojo but too much faffing about charging and so on as you can’t keep the battery on trickle all the time apparently, and dac will sit permanently in my main system.

Be interesting to hear what like....

Thanks for all your help.

Pulled the trigger on the modi 3, arrives tomorrow. Did fancy the mojo but too much faffing about charging and so on as you can’t keep the battery on trickle all the time apparently, and dac will sit permanently in my main system.

Be interesting to hear what like....

Thanks for all your help.

My Mojo is connected to a charger all the time, no issues here.

The modi 3 sounds very good.

My only complaint is that digital projects are over too quickly. If this was an analogue upgrade I’d be fettling for weeks getting everything just right.

Still I may be a cheap mini pc or Mac mini to load qobuz on and connect to the tv and dac separately, which may keep me amused a while...

Thanks all for you help.

advertisement

Back