advertisement

DAC Recommendations

Topping e30, yours for £90 posted. Small size, rca out optical in. Comes with 5v usb based power cable,so can be powered by any old phone charger.
Pm if interested.

Tv's have crappy optical outs with lots of jitter across a high bandwidth. No need to spend much but make sure you get one that can accommodate the quality of a tv's optical out, not all can.

£100 worth of Topping should suffice.

My newish Samsung sounds pretty good via a Wadia X-32 - not cable tv so much, but Netflix & Prime pretty good via optical. Not as good as file based media via the Pi running a posh digi hat into coax, but certainly not rubbish. But I also use the Wadia now with a CD transport, plus Pi, plus TV.

if I only need a DAC for TV I‘d still go for an el-cheapo £10 blackbox I think.

Hello
Having sold my house and currently in rented awaiting new house to be built, I have a question about dacs.
I will need to have it between my TV and pre amp. So the dac will need an optical in and an analogue rca out.
I have no idea about dacs, as my roksan Caspian cd player has it built-in. My system for context is Allegri + pre, EWA A40 power, Shahinian Compasses and a Simplex turntable with XX2 mk2.
So, which would be the most suitable dac and how much should I look to spend? Budget ideally upto £500, but can be more if needed. I assume probably not a good idea to buy second hand?

+1 for the little FiiO Taishan, no need to fork out more than that ;)

I used one with my Samsung TV out to a CA amp - worked absolutely fine and great sound considering.
Only stopped using it to replace with a not much pricier Avantree that gave me added Bluetooth for late night headphone listening ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BQYYDNJ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Worth mentioning that the dead cheap no name DACs available are hit and miss at best but often crap - I know, I've tried a few :(

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back