advertisement

DAC preferences

The_Wizard

Hello All,
A newbie here, but been having a nosey around the forum for a while now, my first impressions were that I need to learn a new language, but I guess it all comes with experience.

I see that there is a large thread about the Mdac at the moment, but unfortunately I was lost in the technical aspect of the discussion within the first few posts.

I currently have a Rega brio 2000 and Kef iq3's which I feel are a lovely combo. My source is apple lossless through a CA ID100 dock to a dacmagic. Having slowly upgraded the system I feel the need to move away from the dacmagic. What are you're experiences with other dacs, in particular the mdac and the rega DAC and why do you like them?

Thank you

Good point, Tony. I found myself listening to the majority of my music with linear phase selected at the time of purchase, but more recently have switched to minimum as I felt it gave less of a surround sound feel, that's how I heard it anyway. The dacmagic is currently being repaired by richer sounds which has prompted my thinking into an upgrade.

Good point, Tony. I found myself listening to the majority of my music with linear phase selected at the time of purchase, but more recently have switched to minimum as I felt it gave less of a surround sound feel, that's how I heard it anyway. The dacmagic is currently being repaired by richer sounds which has prompted my thinking into an upgrade.

I upgraded my DACMagic with a Maplins L54BR power supply and some XLR to RCA cables. Perhaps an alternative power supply might improve the sound of your DACMagic. Try those before blowing a small fortune on a DAC which sounds a tiny bit different. I thought both measures helped.

Haven't heard the Ca but I have plenty of time for their other stuff.

I do however use an M-dac. I just play music through it and it's excellent; clear as a vacuum, foot-tapping when the music is and detailed too. £600 is cheap for such a bargain IMO.

But it may well not be worth the cash as an upgrade to the CA.

I think this is simply a test out in your own home situation.

Are you anywhere near the north east?

(Ps. Do you mean the newer DacMagic, or the older, full size one?)

I had a Rega DAC for a while until I got a naim unitiqute. I got it from audio t and they allowed me to compare against the mdac and rdac. Think the rega dac is brilliant and has that traditional rega analogue sound to it.

Why don't you try the Beresford Bushmaster? It's only £150 and if you don't like it you can return it for a full refund.

Have a look http://www.homehifi.co.uk/PP/Digital_Audio_1.html

They are a very impressive and highly regarded DAC for the money and will significantly outperform your current dacmagic.

what about vat and carriage?

i recently heard one of these it was fair but doubt it will 'significantly outperform' a dac magic....

i recently heard one of these it was fair but doubt it will 'significantly outperform' a dac magic....

As I mentioned, I think my DACMagic significantly outperformed itself when fitted with XLR to RCA output cables and a Maplins AC power supply. Input was TOSLINK. So when someone says it is significantly outperformed by some other DAC, it's worth finding out whether he made that judgment using its excellent XLR outputs and a beefier power supply.

DACs don't all sound the same, but the differences can be very small, if audible, and can easily fall into the category of audible but musically irrelevant.

i've heard dacmagic's lots of times in different systems including into some lovely big atc actives and it sounded very similar to the type of sound i'd expect from sitting in a mastering room....it was matter of fact but smooth and pretty boppy when required.

i think a bit more weight and differentiation and maybe better depth and width maybe available but for quite a lot more money....i reckon the audiolab is better in those particular areas. sometimes that very holographic sound can be a bit airy fairy in some rooms and with some gear....some people like that mono wall of sound rather than a more cinematic presentation.

you may find upgrading your amp to be more impressive or maybe a couple of hundred quid on nice looking room treatments.

Many thanks for your replies, a few things for me to consider. My DacMagic is the newer version with the three filters (but not the latest version with headphone output). I will have a look into some new XLR to RCA cables and a maplin power supply first off then.

Sonddek do you recommend any cables in particular? I have VDH The Source at the minute, RCA

P.s. I'm in Derby - a bit of a trip to the North West I'm afraid.

Lee

Many thanks for your replies, a few things for me to consider. My DacMagic is the newer version with the three filters (but not the latest version with headphone output). I will have a look into some new XLR to RCA cables and a maplin power supply first off then.

Sonddek do you recommend any cables in particular? I have VDH The Source at the minute, RCA

P.s. I'm in Derby - a bit of a trip to the North West I'm afraid.

Lee

I've had a good experience with the Teac UD-H01 which Richer Sounds do cheap. Welcome to hear it if Beeston is not too far!

Tim

talk about dacmagic...I think rega dac will do fine as upgrade, mdac is a nice kit but may not worth the money because I don't think mdac sounds better than rega dac, it's just a matter of your taste.

I'm very tempted by the rega DAC with having the brio, I have read good things but obviously down to personal taste. Naim... there seems to be a few fans! Do The CD players mentioned come with digital input, eg can I use the internal DAC like the current audiolab 8200 series? I'm guessing I have opened a can of worms here... I will more than likely be buying second hand either way.

advertisement

Back