advertisement

DAC + Preamp unified official thread

Haven't heard the Benchmark, but the NAD M51 is pretty handy. It is probably better because it is 36 bits, vs the Benchmark's 32 ;)

Not sure why other than the producer says so and got a bit of favourable press at recent audio shows, but the Empirical Audio Overdrive SE (at $5k) makes great claims. If I had that sort of coin to spend on a DAC/pre combo I'd be interested, but for now I'll be content with my Audiolab MDAC. I am viewing the MDAC as a transitionary component as I don't like that it doesn't do 24/192 via USB and while a great value the pre doesn't make the claims the Empirical does. My price limit on this sort of combo is $2k - the Burson Conductor also looks like it might fit this, but reviews don't seem to put the pre- on the level of the DAC

For me the Benchmark aesthetic would give me as much pride of ownership as a Citizen quartz.

The past Benchmarks I've heard have had an ultra clean, somewhat digital bent to them whereas the NAD M51 has a delightful warmth that could easily be mistaken for analogue.

Sadly the NAD has no analogue inputs although it does sound very impressive when used as a preamp and had HDMI inputs allowing access to all manner of sources via a quality universal transport.

I stick with separates. I like owning a hifi. I've always enjoyed that since staring at huge Trio receivers through the windows of my local Comet as a rebellious teenager. I couldn't imagine pretty much swapping something like a Nac 52 for a little Chinese made box of tricks. It just goes against everything I hold dear in life.

Apologies if this offends those who do own such boxes. It's not meant to disparage your choices. Yours was (and probably is) the sensible solution. I personally just value certain qualities that may well not be relevant to others.

I have a Matrix Mini-i with remote for sale in the classifieds. Let me know if you have any questions.

Terry

Bzle, there's nothing better. Some 'might' sound a little different under some circumstances on particular inputs, but at that level they all sound very similar.

For me the Benchmark aesthetic would give me as much pride of ownership as a Citizen quartz.

There is perhaps some grain of truth in that, and I say that as somebody who does appreciate industrial design and the form-follows-function approach.

Aesthetics aside, from a sound quality POV, the BM DAC2 is probably as good as it gets these days, together with many top quality DACs available. Some may cost more, some may cost less - at this point, it is just the question of 'does it have the feature set I need?' IMO.

The only thing I'd avoid is buying something expensive from an obscure exotic boutique manufacturer, where it is unclear whether they will still exist in 3, 4 years, and if they do, will still be able and willing to look after what you bought back then.

Just go ahead and try a DAC2 at home - always the best and most revealing way to find out if a component meets your expectations.

i like this but it's expensive.
http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=15657

i like this to.
http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/products_subs/lyra/lyra_home.php

but they use shitty cirrus type uncool chipsets.....they sound fantastic though.

i'd love to get one of these at home.....http://www.drawmer.com/products/monitor-pre-amp-dac/hq-monitor-pre-amp-dac.php

but i guess that the benchmark will be as good as any of the more expensive jobbies.

The Lynx is a super bit if kit, extremely versatile.
Keith.

I've had the Mytek in my system for 3 weeks and it's not leaving. You really should hear it in your system against whatever else, it's great that vendors are so ready to send dacs out on trial these days.

Jon
(mytek 192 DSD -> 47 labs gaincard -> harbeth SHL5)

advertisement

Back