advertisement

Dac pre

Regarding the DSPeaker it sounds interesting. How does it work in practice? I'm guessing I need a computer and some software with it. I'm technologically challenged so keep it simple. Thanks.

The DSPeaker basically works in two ways.
1. you can run an automatic process that equalizes the bass, using the microphone that's included with the unit. It takes about five minutes and is, as I said, completely automatic. No computer required.
2. you can dial in various other EQ effects manually, for instance a house curve or a treble dip/boost. You have control over various parameters such as the frequency and amplitude of said curves. If you want to measure the curves' in-room effects, you'll need a third-party mic and software (e.g. REW). But that's optional -- you dial in the effects manually (no computer needed) and you can just judge them by ear.

Primare Pre32 with the MM30 digital board. It gives you streaming and internet radio, too. No headphone socket, though.

Just noticed 2ndhandhifi's post on Wigwam listing a Pre32 with MM30 board for £1 600. That's a good price, assuming it's in good cosmetic condition.

That DSPeaker unit looks very interesting. So if I was to use it with my integrated (ATC) amp the only way would be via the tape-in/tape-out RCA's?

That DSPeaker unit looks very interesting. So if I was to use it with my integrated (ATC) amp the only way would be via the tape-in/tape-out RCA's?

It has digital and analog inputs and outputs, so it can be used in a number of ways, depending on what sources you use.

If you use a PC you could use its USB input with analog output into your amp. Or if you have a CDP with digital outs you could connect to the DSPeaker's optical input. At the same time, if you have a TT you could connect your phono stage to the DSPeaker's analog inputs, using its ADC and DAC to do the EQ and output an analog signal to your amp.

Matt,

I don't need to fix my room as it's good as domestic environments go -- not boomy, little slap echo, etc. -- but I am curious if I'd enjoy my GRFs more if they had a flatter frequency response.

Is there a digital EQ only version of that widget. I don't need a DAC.

Joe

The DSPeaker basically works in two ways.
1. you can run an automatic process that equalizes the bass, using the microphone that's included with the unit. It takes about five minutes and is, as I said, completely automatic. No computer required.
2. you can dial in various other EQ effects manually, for instance a house curve or a treble dip/boost. You have control over various parameters such as the frequency and amplitude of said curves. If you want to measure the curves' in-room effects, you'll need a third-party mic and software (e.g. REW). But that's optional -- you dial in the effects manually (no computer needed) and you can just judge them by ear.

Thanks Matt. Brilliantly explained.

Matt,

I don't need to fix my room as it's good as domestic environments go -- not boomy, little slap echo, etc. -- but I am curious if I'd enjoy my GRFs more if they had a flatter frequency response.

Is there a digital EQ only version of that widget. I don't need a DAC.

Joe

If you're just curious, Joe, you could try out software-only EQ, e.g. the parametric EQ in JRiver. I know this isn't how you normally do things, but it'd be the cheapest way to scratch your EQ itch.

Assuming you have a CDP or similar with USB input, it's dead simple. Rip the odd CD, download the free trial version of JRiver, connect your computer to the USB input, and fiddle with the JRiver EQ.

Obvs if you want to do the whole objectivista measuring thing, you'll need a calibrated mic and some competence with REW. I bought a UMIK mic from Keef. It cost a few brussels sprouts.

Cheers, Matt.

I suppose another option would be to try a graphic EQ. They come up often and rarely cost more than a 100 clams, which isn't too dear as itch scratching expenses go.

Joe

advertisement

Back